Best used semi truck for 15-25k?

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
Well after checking out all the truck I bought one! Its a 2005 International 9200i. It has a c-13 engine with 10 speed. It also has 780k miles which is a lot lower then all the trucks i looked at. Here is a pic! I paid 13.7k and feel that i got a decent deal. All it needs is new brakes and both front tires which i am getting done tomorrow. Here is a pic!
04d11702fcc011f45f4dfee499a2d383.jpg
she's getting near the point of an overhaul!!

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
Don't go blaming a breakdown on luck... It's a $13,700 truck, expect breakdowns and count your lucky stars if you don't have lots. Even if you have a mechanic look at it, it's not going to change what it is. If it's been sitting, expect some oil leaks.

Congrats on the truck, so long as it makes more than it costs you're alright! Just make sure you're making money!

Reactions: gotto_03801

Eminaga

Rookie Expediter
Don't go blaming a breakdown on luck... It's a $13,700 truck, expect breakdowns and count your lucky stars if you don't have lots. Even if you have a mechanic look at it, it's not going to change what it is. If it's been sitting, expect some oil leaks.

Congrats on the truck, so long as it makes more than it costs you're alright! Just make sure you're making money!
Hey ur right bud. One of the oil lines on the turbo broke and caused a fire... have to replace couple hoses and the oil line. 2k for that alone... redicules how much shops charge for repairs. Waiting on parts should have them by 1030am tomorrow.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I worked on a truck yesterday that had JB Weld holding in a high pressure oil line.

People do dumb stuff to trucks. When possible, go over the entire vehicle front to back and document everything that looks out of place, then have the list addressed.

Reactions: Treadmill

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hey ur right bud. One of the oil lines on the turbo broke and caused a fire... have to replace couple hoses and the oil line. 2k for that alone... redicules how much shops charge for repairs. Waiting on parts should have them by 1030am tomorrow.

Too bad someone didn't warn you before. ;)

Expect it to continue until you can get the bugs worked out from sitting and whatever the previous owner didn't want to fix. Hopefully the next repair is cheaper and is further down the road until you can build up more capital.

Eminaga

Rookie Expediter
Too bad someone didn't warn you before. ;)

Expect it to continue until you can get the bugs worked out from sitting and whatever the previous owner didn't want to fix. Hopefully the next repair is cheaper and is further down the road until you can build up more capital.
You did warn me :). I just felt like I had to start this process. I will get another truck in few months so that one can cover repairs for both and the other can hopefully make some profit. Its just the way this business works I guess. You have to put in money to hopefully start seeing some profit little bit down the road. Once I get to 3 trucks my plan is to open up my own company. I will have 3 of my own trucks working and 4-5 owner operators to start off. We will see how it all goes. I feel like I need to take a risk while I am still young and able to. I dont want to keep working for other people my whole life.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You did warn me :). I just felt like I had to start this process. I will get another truck in few months so that one can cover repairs for both and the other can hopefully make some profit. Its just the way this business works I guess. You have to put in money to hopefully start seeing some profit little bit down the road. Once I get to 3 trucks my plan is to open up my own company. I will have 3 of my own trucks working and 4-5 owner operators to start off. We will see how it all goes. I feel like I need to take a risk while I am still young and able to. I dont want to keep working for other people my whole life.

The whole idea of owning 2 trucks so that one can pay for repairs has been a method that bankrupted more than a few. What happens when you buy the new truck and it breaks down followed promptly by a massive repair on the truck that you have now? You should really slow down and get focused on one truck to learn the business. As for opening your own company that will require a massive amount of money. You will have issues booking loads because of a new MC# and there is a higher likelihood that a broker will not pay you. You will need to have a staff that is knowledgeable about regulations that can handle the mountain of paperwork and then someone to book loads. Your goal shouldn't be when you get 3 trucks that you will start your own company but instead it should be once you get a million dollars in cash you will start it.

Eminaga

Rookie Expediter
Just an update for you guys: I owe 2 trucks now and actually opened my own company that went active 12/1 :). Things are going alright so far but as you all know prices for loads are bad. Anyone have a good broker I can get in contact with? I mainly plan to have the trucks stay in mid-west. I am doing the dispatching and all the other paperwork. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well if the rebuild was done you can't be 100% certain but you can look for signs like new gaskets and the running condition to have a really good idea that it was done. I would just want to know that the guy that did it is actually a diesel mechanic. Someone much like yourself bought a truck with a motor that was rebuilt by a mechanic, a mechanic that works on lawn mowers, four wheelers, and dirt bikes. Well the truck didn't even make it 100 miles before the motor had to be rebuilt at my company's shop.

I personally wouldn't buy a truck with a Volvo motor and the D12 is known to be gutless. They seem to be relatively reliable but I would rather find a better motor with the same reliability. If you think shopping for a truck is frustrating just wait for the 3am call that the truck is dead on the side of the road or your vacation gets ruined because you are dumping $4k on repairs.
Been there done that.