I want to bid on load boards.. HELP!

Black Rhino

New Recruit
Greetings!
I am an owner operator of a 26' box truck, 33,000 gvw, no refer. I've had an exceptional experience receiving rebrokered loads from carriers who also have a brokers license. I've come to notice that these loads are mostly being brokered from load boards of the big guys like Panther, & Fed Ex CC. I'm interested in cutting out the middle man and bidding these loads myself.

What are the top 3 load boards for expedited freight and does anyone have info on how I can gain access to them?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Did you search out this info? I am leased to a big carrier so I don't use any kind of load boards, but I have read many people talk about this on here and they all pretty much say the same thing.

There's a search feature on this forums, give it a try. Put in "expedite load boards" and read what pops up. Just a warning, the info you read will probably be very discouraging.

Reactions: Lawrence

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I think most members on here are leased to carriers. We don't use load boards, our carriers do. In effect, you are asking us to tell you how to bid against the carriers that are bidding loads for us.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I believe getting loads from the big companies means that you become partner carriers with them. That isn't easy to do as 1 truck and you can't get on with the main 3PL for expedited freight. Check out any load board and just narrow the search down to ST.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
In at lest 6 years I have yet to see a load board post loads for st8 trucks that are real and worth doing I've seen few loads posted that pay what a carrier will pay for an expedite load I have seen the same loads and they are trying to go for half rate good luck !

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's been my first hand experience that the large expedite operations have little interest in working with directly with small carriers. Seems they are only comfortable "partnering" within the Alliance ... I believe the club requires a minimum of 10 trucks. While I understand the risk / reward proposition is probably hard to justify, there are some excellent small carriers out there. That said, you'll have a tough time living off any load board(s) with a straight truck. You really need to invest the time and energy into developing direct customer relationships as your core sources of business.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Greetings!
I am an owner operator of a 26' box truck, 33,000 gvw, no refer. I've had an exceptional experience receiving rebrokered loads from carriers who also have a brokers license. I've come to notice that these loads are mostly being brokered from load boards of the big guys like Panther, & Fed Ex CC. I'm interested in cutting out the middle man and bidding these loads myself.

What are the top 3 load boards for expedited freight and does anyone have info on how I can gain access to them?

well if you have authority you can email me and I will give some names and numbers of the 3pls and broker bid boards I use but if you don't have authority it wont do you any good. [email protected]

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Since going off on our own it has been an eye opener for me. Most load boards that you bid on freight you have to have so many units to bid on their freight. Sylectus you have to be a paid member to get freight from the different carriers posting loads on Sylectus. Sylectus is what we use to get 65% of our freight right now but those number will go down as we get set up with NLM, and other carriers that ask for you to have ten or more trucks. It's really all about making contracts. The Expedite Expo is really a great thing to make a lot of contacts and meet people face to face. I would stay go to this years Expedite Expo and have fun.

Reactions: Lawrence

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm an independent O/O a lot of guys here are leased to carriers and fleet owners so, don't take it personally if they
give you a hard time. Most of us myself included will hold our better tricks of the trade close to the vest and might share some after seeing you around for a while.

If you have your own authority and you are not leased to another carrier you can bid on posted loads. Ive used Truckers Edge and Internet Truck stop its feast or famine.
Just make sure to check them out. and make sure their legit companies, also their safety record, and their credit record too.

PM me if I can help

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm leased on to a carrier and bid on loads all the time. In fact everything I book is from the open market of Internet Truck Stop, DAT, CHR, LS or whoever is paying top dollar on their excess critical needs in the moment. Work with a lot of different carriers out here mega and small alike. On excellent terms with many of them and several good 3PL's too. Sometimes these companies seek me or our other trucks out. It's not always about price and it some of it would never see the light of day on any load board. That said my greatest satisfaction comes from hammering out an over the top rate from the likes of CHR or whoever on something that was out there in the open for everyone with an available truck to get a shot at. That is fun. I do this with a tractor trailer. Not really sure how well or if it would work with straights or smaller but with TT if you use your head anything out here is possible.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
it is easy to get a load if you have a TT, you can get TT loads anywhere at any time all over the country; its pretty much different with straights and smaller vehicles though, those loads are not offered like TT loads, which are offered on most all the load boards, as opposed to smaller vehicles, which are only offered on a few boards.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, very limiting to one's self being in a smaller truck. Honestly if you are in a straight truck you're probably much better off leased on at some mid sized to larger carrier where they specialize in freight for smaller trucks than being independent. More often than not one truck operations attempting to cut out middlemen end up with increased operating expenses, lower rates, and lower averages. But as long as they are getting 100% of anything then that is as good as it gets, or so they will lead you to believe.

With such niche freight as cargo vans and straight trucks are, as a one truck operator you are dreaming if you think you are ever going to get rates equivalent to the big boys cutting out them or other middlemen. You are a cheap option and that is even if anyone will listen to you. Capacity gets rates. Solo independents get scraps. That's just how it is. Even with TT where the middle man can easily be cut out of the picture does not always make it the most profitable or wisest course of action. Sometimes with TT it is so but not always. In smaller trucks the deck is REALLY stacked against you as a one truck independent.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
While I agree with most rollincoal's perspectives ... To say that independents operating anything other than a TT can expect nothing more than scraps from the freight table does not reflect everyone's reality. It's probably not feasible is a CV, and although it's tough in a ST it can be done ... IF ... You can bring something more to the game than "capacity" and you're in a position to devote the time, resources, and energy into cultivating relationships. Independents should view "Load board" freight like fast food ... A little won't hurt and can get you through the day at times, but, if you try to live on it, expect health issues.

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Independents should view "Load board" freight like fast food ... A little won't hurt and can get you through the day at times, but, if you try to live on it, expect health issues.
Nicely put. :)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive for an outfit, get paid 1.03 a loaded mile (fsc included). I know before I turn the key what the run pays, and the outfit I drive for has been straight with me.

If I tried to "cut out the middleman" and go straight to the load boards myself--- I would starve for sure. Everything I've heard shows that running under my own shingle and trying to do it all myself is a losing proposition. So--- nope, not a goin'tadoit.