Cargo Van Maintenance Costs Update

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following is an update from this thread: http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/61736-cargo-van-maintenance-costs.html

Listed below are the costs for maintaining a 2004 Chevrolet 3500, long wheelbase 6.0 V-8 slop bucket, for the first 792,000 miles as it came from the factory. The costs do not include the installation or maintenance of extras such as a bed, insulation, flooring, radios, house batteries etc. It also does not include any towing fees (2) and roadside service charges (1)

Oil, filter and lube: 154 @ $2893. All performed by myself, no labor costs.

Tune-up: 7@ $3615. 1st tune-up included ignition wires from NAPA that were guaranteed for life and replaced for free at following tune-ups. All tune-ups include replacing ignition wires, spark plugs (OEM AC Delco), serpentine and ac belts. 2 differential lube changes were included in tune-ups at 200,000 and 400,000 miles. Other minor repairs, were included as was labor.

Tires: 26 @ $4555 includes alignments.

Batteries: 4 @ $701

Front wheel bearings: 6 bearing assemblies $2520 @ 240,000, 432,000 and 632,000 miles.

Alternators: 8 @ $1493. The original 105 amp was replaced at 262,000 miles. That replacement lasted 1 week. Some alternators were replaced free of charge. Some only labor. The last 3 alternators were 155 amps from NAPA with a lifetime warranty and replaced for free, excluding labor.

Radiator flush and Fill: 5 @ $498

Transmission fluid and filters: 2 @ $320

Air Filters: 10 @ $200

Brakes: Front pads and rotors, $450 changed at 377,000 miles. Replace front pads (warranty) and caliper mounts $285 @692,000. Rear pads, calipers and rotors $877 @ 751,000 miles.

Shocks: Front and rear shocks, front springs $715 @ 377,000 miles.
Replaced all 4 shocks @ 556,755 mi. Life time warranty. $125 for labor which included mounting 2 new tires and rotation.

Deer collision: replace pass. side headlight and turn signal light assembly and grill. $950

Misc Repairs:
-replace sway bar and front brake caliper mount. $400.
-2nd replacement of front brake caliper mounts and turn rotors. $280
-replace T.P. sensor. $132
-replace upper coolant hose. $248
-replace 4 windshields $310. (Panther windshield plan, pay 1st $100)
(new Panther windshield plan, Panther pays first $250)
-replace A.C. tensioner and belt. $201
-differential lube change 2 included in tune-up cost.
-replace both headlight assemblies. $76
-replace both parking brake cables $303
-lights, wiper blades misc. parts. $1125

Front End: Both upper ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm and alignment $916 @ 516,000 miles

Oil Cooler Gasket:
Replace oil cooler gasket, inlet pick-up O-ring and oil pan gasket. $502 @ 544,000

U-Joints:
Replaceall u-joints (3) and replace rear transmission seal.Also replaced TPS (warranty) and cleaned throttle body. $391 @ 567,000

Fuel Pump:
Replaced original, $890 @ 732,500 miles

Starter:
Replaced original, $459 @ 758,000miles.

Washer Fluid Pump:
Replaced original $138 @ 792,000 miles.

Total:
$26,568 or .033/mile.

emlm

Last edited:

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
Thank you Moot, very informative. There is another post out there that was specific to a Sprinter, still can't find it. :(

brohammerllc

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the information!

So now the real question: What was/is the maintenance cost per mile spread out over the life of the vehicle?

You used the number $0.19/mile as the cost for fuel. What was/is the cost per mile when you figure in you other costs--insurance, tires, etc?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everything is CHEAP on a 04-06 Sprinter unless you lose a engine or get extorted by a shop/dealer!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the information!
My pleasure.

So now the real question: What was/is the maintenance cost per mile spread out over the life of the vehicle?
Define "life of vehicle". I stated the cost per mile as a little over .03/mi. for the first 792,000 miles. When I put a bullet in its head I'll post an update.

You used the number $0.19/mile as the cost for fuel.
The .19/mile was the cost for gasoline for the year 2014. Total cost per mile for gasoline up to and including this past Monday was .1678/mi. Call it 17 cents per mile.

What was/is the cost per mile when you figure in you other costs--insurance, tires, etc?
Tires are included in the maintenance costs. I don't count insurance as a maintenance cost and have never bothered to figure it on a per mile basis. Insurance costs drop dramatically after the first couple of years and continues to decline as the miles accumulate.

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
Flying: No, but that is VERY informative, and is the type of info I'm looking for, thank you. I think it was a post by T270, but can't remember, (looked at his posts for a year to two back, might be further back) it was more of a service schedule post, where the poster stated doing this and that at certain intervals, and I can't remember if I saw costs or not.

On another note, I was looking at a recent Sprinter posted on the classifieds here, with almost 250k, and considering the post by aileron (and others) I think a lot of repairs are coming due on it, might be best to buy new if I can.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
odometer%20800000_zpslarbeuzo.jpg

Reactions: in-Transit