Difference in Sprinters

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Not being a Sprinter owner, but I am thinking about buying one, I was curious. Is there a difference in Freightliner, Mercedes, and Dodge Sprinters or is it the same truck just with a different name on the grill? Is there much difference in repair cost and maintenance cost on them. And what about resale value? IF i bought one it would be used so which one would be best?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Sprinters from the U.S. tend to win more medals, but the Africans are better at the distance races...oh...never mind. Wrong topic.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not being a Sprinter owner, but I am thinking about buying one, I was curious. Is there a difference in Freightliner, Mercedes, and Dodge Sprinters or is it the same truck just with a different name on the grill? Is there much difference in repair cost and maintenance cost on them. And what about resale value? IF i bought one it would be used so which one would be best?
For the most part they are identical. The differences are mostly cosmetic, like the name on the grill. The Dodge and Freightliner and Mercedes grills are different, though. So are the headlamps. A Dodge grill won[t work with Freightliner headlamps without making modifications to the grill. But all electrical and mechanical parts are interchangeable.

The best one to buy is the one with the most comprehensive and detailed maintenance and repair records.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
03-06 was the 5cy eng
07-10 is the newer 6cy
11-14 is the bluetec 6cy
14 and newer is 6cy but you can now get a 4cy twin turbo eng
Any eng after 2011 is going to have the bluetec which is the dpf cleanning fuel added in a second tank sprayed into the dpf

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
I bought 3 new Dodge Sprinters in 03, 04, and 05. Had good luck with them until 100,000 mile area and parts were very expensive. Later went to Duramax Chevy van .

Talked t a team 2 weeks ago with a 2014high top extended Meredes van wih70,000 miles and said it had been in shop 17times.

Owner was planning on selling all his sprinters and replacing with new full size Ford Transits.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought 3 new Dodge Sprinters in 03, 04, and 05. Had good luck with them until 100,000 mile area and parts were very expensive. Later went to Duramax Chevy van .

Talked t a team 2 weeks ago with a 2014high top extended Meredes van wih70,000 miles and said it had been in shop 17times.

Owner was planning on selling all his sprinters and replacing with new full size Ford Transits.

yeah I talk with a pal who has a 2014 sprinter with 90,000 miles and not once in the shop....except for servicing....its a Mercedes gang.....would you expect a 19.95 oil change from a Jaguar?....gee whiz you guys are downright stupid!!!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
yeah I talk with a pal who has a 2014 sprinter with 90,000 miles and not once in the shop....except for servicing....its a Mercedes gang.....would you expect a 19.95 oil change from a Jaguar?....gee whiz you guys are downright stupid!!!
The key word there, is "Dodge ". People see that and it's all over.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Lol I pay about 120 on my Nissan and Walmart or express oil change type places is a no no with me if I can't stand right over them while they do it I go somewhere else lol

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I appreciate the info. My Ford van is pushing 400K but it's running fine. No leaks, doesn't burn oil, and gets between 16-18 MPG depending on whether the A/C is running. I did a run from Atlanta to Baltimore and back round trip on 3 tanks of gas. I'm going to drive it 'til it dies then I'll think about another one or just give it up entirely. The money is just not there anymore.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I appreciate the info. My Ford van is pushing 400K but it's running fine. No leaks, doesn't burn oil, and gets between 16-18 MPG depending on whether the A/C is running. I did a run from Atlanta to Baltimore and back round trip on 3 tanks of gas. I'm going to drive it 'til it dies then I'll think about another one or just give it up entirely. The money is just not there anymore.

The money is there...you just have to get to it before 2-4 different brokers take thier %....

guido4475

Not a Member

I have close to the same mileage on my 03 E350 as well. Runs like a scolded chicken. No problems out of any of the drive train. When it is time for an engine I will do the trans at the same time. This is if my carrier is fine with the age of my van. One reason why I try to keep up on the appearance of it, out of respect for my carrier allowing me to have an older paid for unit on with them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have close to the same mileage on my 03 E350 as well. Runs like a scolded chicken. No problems out of any of the drive train. When it is time for an engine I will do the trans at the same time. This is if my carrier is fine with the age of my van. One reason why I try to keep up on the appearance of it, out of respect for my carrier allowing me to have an older paid for unit on with them.

don't bull crap a top bull crapper pal...you kept a sparkling truck even with Rodriquez and Polly.....respect my arse....LOL how many miles on them sidewalls?.....LMAO

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
03-06 was the 5cy eng
07-10 is the newer 6cy
11-14 is the bluetec 6cy
14 and newer is 6cy but you can now get a 4cy twin turbo eng
Any eng after 2011 is going to have the bluetec which is the dpf cleanning fuel added in a second tank sprayed into the dpf[/QUOT

The 14 and newer comes with a 4 standard and a 6 option the last I read.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got 700 miles to a tank 2 weeks ago in my 06 Sprinter coming from Reno NV into LA, took the 101 out of Monterey all the way down. Cruise control is amazing on these rigs. Do your maintenance and your good to go, don't and end up in the shop. Alternator, Serp belt tensioner, auto trans fluid, all filters, harmonic balancers, turbo resonators, synthetic oil changes every 12-14k etc.