This is interesting

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing that aided Germany was the advanced weapons it had developed. Then they added revolutionary tactics and none of the European forces could stand against them.

They had it all their way until they invaded Russia. Even then it was the Russian winter that stopped them and gave the Russian government time to roll out massive amounts of armaments to continue holding the Germans and eventually start pushing them back.

Putin won't have those advantages and will face stiff resistance from the beginning. He won't get the series of quick victories to bolster his confidence.

IMHO that's where the comparison to WW2 falls apart.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The article was just pointing out things that were similar. Putin does have advanced weapons.

I believe that the article was more about the stupidity of the leadership in the "West" not to confront Putin than Putin himself.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you take another look at the article he lays out a comparison between Germany's motivations and Russia's.

The article is very well done and has many excellent points. I was just pointing out a factor that he didn't consider.

I don't believe Russia has done a significant upgrade to any of their weapons systems in the last couple of decades. They have powerful weapons but not state of the art. They won't be able to dominate the battlefield with what they have like Germany did.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Russia has been upgrading it's nukes for a long time now. I have not kept track of what has been going on with tanks/aircraft etc.

IF I were working for the KGB, in a job similar to what I did at NSA, would would look at it like this.

1. The United States has a weak, ineffective president.
2 The United States is in serious financial difficulty
3. The United States is politically and socially fragmented.
4. The foreign policy of the United States is inconsistent at best due to a lack of effective leadership.

Steps to exploit the weakness

1. Force the United States into further financial difficulty by forcing them to engage in "actions" outside of the United States.
A. Increase activity of "client" groups in the Middle East and in South America, Central America and Mexico

2. Exploit the political and social fragmentation in the United States by helping to fund "fringe" candidates, on all sides of the political spectrum. Increase the activity of "community organizers" to create unrest.
3. "Test" the ability of the United States to effectively monitor and defend it's borders
A. Increase bomber activity near the US borders
B. Direct "client" groups on the US southern border to increase activity, to include, air incursions into US air space and limited military actions to gauge response time and resolve.
4. Work with client groups to further destabilize the United States by flooding the country with refugees.
5. Work with client groups to increase shipments of illegal drugs
6. Work with client groups to move weapons and munitions into strategic areas near and inside the US southern border.
7. Increase support for "sleeper cells" in the United States.

Just some thoughts if I were looking at this from a counter intelligence point of view.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
yep the bad thing is we got the bomb and will use it but after that they will and the end of the earth as we know it

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
yep the bad thing is we got the bomb and will use it but after that they will and the end of the earth as we know it

I doubt we would be the first to use a nuke. My entire experience with our nuke forces was finding was to avoid that type of exchange and a slow, steady, monitored disarmament.

For the most part, the Soviets did not wish to have an exchange of nukes either. That is ONE of the reasons we fought it out in smaller engagements, like Korea and Vietnam.

The greatest problem we face now is that too great a depletion of conventional sources could increase the chances of having to resort to the use of nukes.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
ok but with the dummys we have put in office who's to say if they look at the hole picture

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
ok but with the dummys we have put in office who's to say if they look at the hole picture

I have to give you that one and it gets worse with each passing election. Party does not seem to matter. What we have now has made sure I am never constipated. This bunch scares the "stuff" out of me. Just when I believe that cannot do something more stupid than they did last week they do something that is ever MORE boneheaded!

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Russia has been upgrading it's nukes for a long time now. I have not kept track of what has been going on with tanks/aircraft etc.

IF I were working for the KGB, in a job similar to what I did at NSA, would would look at it like this.

1. The United States has a weak, ineffective president.
2 The United States is in serious financial difficulty
4. The foreign policy of the United States is inconsistent at best due to a lack of effective leadership.

Steps to exploit the weakness

1. Force the United States into further financial difficulty by forcing them to engage in "actions" outside of the United States.
A. Increase activity of "client" groups in the Middle East and in South America, Central America and Mexico

2. Exploit the political and social fragmentation in the United States by helping to fund "fringe" candidates, on all sides of the political spectrum. Increase the activity of "community organizers" to create unrest.
3. "Test" the ability of the United States to effectively monitor and defend it's borders
A. Increase bomber activity near the US borders
B. Direct "client" groups on the US southern border to increase activity, to include, air incursions into US air space and limited military actions to gauge response time and resolve.
4. Work with client groups to further destabilize the United States by flooding the country with refugees.
5. Work with client groups to increase shipments of illegal drugs
6. Work with client groups to move weapons and munitions into strategic areas near and inside the US southern border.
7. Increase support for "sleeper cells" in the United States.

Just some thoughts if I were looking at this from a counter intelligence point of view.
With the above in mind, the final thoughts of the author need to be emphasized:
Above all, it is imperative that educated Westerners, particularly the postmodern denizens of the WEIRD contingent, understand that things they cannot contemplate because they find them unpalatable or even ridiculous may seem quite plausible to others.

What you find utterly unthinkable may prove quite thinkable, even reasonable, to your enemies.

Also keep in mind the coziness that exists between Russia and Iran, and their understanding of the weak & incompetent US leaders who currently control US foreign policy. Combine this with a liberal media which promotes appeasement and a general public that has no stomach for military conflict of any kind; our enemies likely think they can continue their destabilization activities and watch the US self-destruct from within. Military conflict with the US won't be necessary.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Far too many believe all you have to do is "make nice" and everything will be "Hunky Dory". It just not work that way.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I would take issue with that one. Whan attacked and our backs are against the wall, we seem to come together quite well, thank you very much.

And the KGB knows that.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would take issue with that one. What attacked and our backs are against the wall, we seem to come together quite well, thank you very much.

And the KGB knows that.

And forget it two weeks latter. Our "Leaders", our president in particular, have been doing all that they can do divide us, set us against each other, for their own gain.

They do it along racial lines, income lines, religious lines and ethnic lines, just to name a few.

Even we attacked we don't "all" pull together. That is a myth.

As for the KGB, they have been active in this country, assisting in the fragmentation, for decades. They are GOOD at it. All they have done is change their name.

Last edited: