Newbies first year income?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heard that those Out & Back straight truck guys out of Detroit area make. $ 150,000. a year.. :p

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Heard that those Out & Back straight truck guys out of Detroit area make. $ 150,000. a year.. :p

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app
Maybe I should get one of those jobs.
crying.gif

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
What can a Newbie realistically expect to make there first year. Gross. As an O/O.?

You should expect something between loosing everything, house and family included, to $200,000. It just depends on how quickly you catch on, how good the year turns out to be in freight and who you sign on with/what you drive.

Rory Bentley

Rookie Expediter
I have not decided if I want to drive a straight truck or buy a van. I have a class B CDL. But a van would be cheaper to punches and operate then a straight truck. Then again, it would be better starting out driving for some one then to invest and maybe not like it. I'm still researching. That's for all the advise.

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
I'm in a cargo van, anybody knows if it's hard getting a load out of New Jersey

Sent from my LG-E980 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm in a cargo van, anybody knows if it's hard getting a load out of New Jersey
It's not hard at all. Unless you don't like driving over bridges. Then your options become more limited. A wacka wacka.

Seriously, whenever I go to New jersey, if I want any sleep I have to go OOS, otherwise they'll load me right back out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have not decided if I want to drive a straight truck or buy a van. I have a class B CDL. But a van would be cheaper to punches and operate then a straight truck. Then again, it would be better starting out driving for some one then to invest and maybe not like it. I'm still researching. That's for all the advise.
It's good that you're doing research, and continue to do so, because that's an interesting question.

"What can a Newbie realistically expect to make there first year. Gross. As an O/O.?"

Realistically? In a van or Sprinter, most newbies are realistically out of the business within 6 months, because they didn't do enough research.

But realistically, in a van, if you hang tough and last the year, between $60,000 and $80,000 gross. Rule of Thirds say you'll pocket one-third of that gross, maybe a little more.

Rory Bentley

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for the help. There is a lot more to this then I thought there was. This just intrigue's me even more. I will have to keep up the research and try and decide what I think would be the best path for me. Thanks again for the advice.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing that sinks the battleship of newbies in vans/Sprinters is coming in underfunded. You don't realize that driving 80,000 to 100,000 miles a year exacts a heavy toll on your equipment and you can, sooner or later, expect stuff to break. Given "Murphy's Law", it'll be the most expensive thing possible and about as far from home as you can be, too-- at a time when the business is slack anyway so re-building a crippled bank account is difficult at best. I hasten to point out that Murphy was an optimist.

Turtle's right though--if you get past the first year you've probably figured out how to survive at least, and the business itself isn't a bad one. If you get something going on the side-- I occasionally help a guy re-build offices-- the money from your side interests helps keep you going.