Insurance

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Why do you think I am not covered properly? It is commercial insurance. I haven't had many claims in my life but when I do they pay quickly with no hassle. I've been with State Farm since 1979 and have been very happy with them. When I had my straight truck I had the same coverage and was in an accident that I was at fault. They paid the claim with no problems. The know what I do for a living.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Do you run over the road or just do local cartage type work. If you call State Farm corporate, they will tell you they don't write interstate trucking coverage. While it is great they have paid up to now. If you had a big one that was going to cost them a lot of money then a whole different group of adjusters reviews that. Whole lot different situation than someone approving to pay for a fender bender or paying to fix your truck. The physical damage part isn't the big concern it's the liability and cargo.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
They are aware that I run interstate and that I drive a lot of miles. I have 1M liability and 250K cargo. I had to pull some strings to get this insurance because they don't write a lot of commercial insurance.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
By the way I have had this coverage since1994. I insured an International 24' box truck with them. I'm pretty sure they knew that wasn't a "personal" vehicle.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you run over the road or just do local cartage type work. If you call State Farm corporate, they will tell you they don't write interstate trucking coverage.
I have been insured with State Farm since I started driving at age 15. My parents had State Farm insurance. Our house and both cars are insured by State Farm but not my van. When I bought my first van for expediting I contacted my agent about insurance. I was told that because of the amount of interstate driving they would not insure me.

Maybe things have changed at State Farm since then or there is a division that underwrites commercial insurance. If DriverDude is getting cargo insurance then that must be the case. I need to look into this. It could save me money and give me better coverage than what I have now.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They are aware that I run interstate and that I drive a lot of miles. I have 1M liability and 250K cargo. I had to pull some strings to get this insurance because they don't write a lot of commercial insurance.
Explain the string pulling thing. You are insuring a cargo van, right?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Lest we forget there are plenty of reasons for a policy to be expensive.
Yes, the vehicle and residency state are big factors, but age and "insurance credit rating" are also big factors.
The insurance industry has made a correlation between a persons credit rating and their likelihood to generate higher risk or a claim. I'm guessing it's not as scientific as we would hope, but it's the guidelines we are operate under.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
There is a commercial division @ State Farm now and has been for at least 20 years. That is when I got my first commercial policy. State Farm calls their cargo insurance an "inland marine" policy. They will ask you what kind of cargo you haul but you have to list specific things such as auto parts, computers, machinery, etc. but don't mention hazmat or they won't cover you. Your agent will have to contact the main office in your state to get the ball rolling for commercial. They don't like to write it, but they will for long time customers. Probably not for new customers.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran with State farm when when I owned a construction business as well as I started out with trucking. Ive always had good luck with State farm when it comes to auto. The only complaints I have with State Farm was they are quick to pay off somone off even when I am in the right. Also, State Farm wouldnt file with FMCSA or offer freight coverage. I was also warned if I were to get into a wreck outside of New York State I would be on my own.

I changed to C.I.S. and ran with them for 2 or 3 years, I was happy with the coverage, and yes it was getting pricey. If I was in a jam, or I was offered a better rate than I have now for the coverage, I would swich back. I had to switch from C.I.S. to Erie due to required freight coverages and New York State insurance regs C.I.S. could not cover me.

My business vehicles.
1999 chev express C van liability no collision and personal contents, tools, etc.
2003 International Full coverage, $20,000.00 truck and personal contents, tools, etc.
I pay about $4,500.00 / yr. Full coverage on the truck 1 Mill. liability, 100K on the freight, and 1 mil. Business coverage package. Federal filings.
I have had 2 NO FAULT claims in the past three years for dammage they replaced the roof on the box 6 months ago. This years increase arround $200 / yr. Deductables, $500 collision, $1,000 freight and $1,000 business liability. I can save 50 bucks a year by upping the collision deductable but its not worth the difference

I will warn you that Erie is a conservative company in that they vett you, your claim, driving, and safety history will be considered. If you have some serious isues or claims, they might not write you. Also allot of the extras that you get from CIS arent there. Some people need them others dont so you have to shop wisely.

Claims? I had no problems with my dammage claims being paid. They are not a blank check company so if you have a problem make sure its worth the time and you have your things ready for the adjuster they were quick about paying no problems there. Outside claims? They will expect you to back them up and before paying they will make sure that you were in fact at fault.

If you are leased and paying through your Motor Carrier try pricing it allone the M.C.
may be an insurance hazzard, check your and thier SMS score this could be the reason its high.

Anyway, thats my 2 bucks worth.

Be Safe
Bob Wolf.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
When I had my straight truck they wanted to know what states I traveled to but with my CV I told them a 1000 mile radius. I don't deal with FMCSA or any other gov't agency so that is not a factor with me. I try to fly under the radar as much as possible to stay out of trouble. I had Progressive for a while with my straight truck for a while but when they tried to rape me without lube on the rates, that's when I discovered State Farm.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bottom Line is this when it comes to insurance.

As long as the insurance covers your tail you are less likely to loose everything you own.
If you don't need the extras I don't see the reason for paying for them.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I'll give you a big 10-4 on that! There's not enough money in this business to pay for any extras that you don't need.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I had my straight truck they wanted to know what states I traveled to but with my CV I told them a 1000 mile radius. I don't deal with FMCSA or any other gov't agency so that is not a factor with me. I try to fly under the radar as much as possible to stay out of trouble. I had Progressive for a while with my straight truck for a while but when they tried to rape me without lube on the rates, that's when I discovered State Farm.

Do you stay within a 1000 miles?

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Interesting! Back in 05 I called arround to find some cheaper commercial insurance. State Farm was the first one I called. They told me that they don't offer commercial insurance. But that was back in 2005.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting! Back in 05 I called arround to find some cheaper commercial insurance. State Farm was the first one I called. They told me that they don't offer commercial insurance. But that was back in 2005.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

I called them 2 days ago they told me they do commercial insurance for business. Expediters and truckers are excluded automatically...so if you have a painting business your covered! But If your an expediter you might have a problem.