That cursive writing thing

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
English cursive in the US[edit]

D'Nealian Script, a cursive alphabet — lower case and upper case.
On the 2006 SAT, a United States post-secondary education entrance exam, only 15 percent of the students wrote their essay answers in cursive.[7]

In a 2007 survey of 200 teachers of first through third grades in all 50 American states, 90 percent of respondents said their schools required the teaching of cursive.[8]

A 2008 nationwide survey found elementary school teachers lacking formal training in teaching handwriting to students. Only 12 percent of teachers reported having taken a course in how to teach it.[9]

In 2012, the American states of Indiana and Hawaii announced that their schools will no longer be required to teach cursive (but will still be permitted to), and instead will be required to teach "keyboard proficiency". As of 2011 the same was true of Illinois. Since the nation-wide proposal of the Common Core State Standards in 2009, which do not include instruction in cursive, the standards have been adopted by 44 states as of July 2011, all of which have debated whether to augment them with cursive.[10][11]

California, Georgia, and Massachusetts have added a cursive requirement to the national standards.[12]

I ask my nephews if they could write in cursive the other day. Both boys are in college here in Cookeville, Tn. They said they could write their name in cursive, but would have trouble remembering other letters if they had to write a paper in long hand..............amazing,,,,so if you can write in cursive, you are an antique person.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Antique or intelligent and above average?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
All of the above..all my grandchildren print as opposed to writing letters to me..and they've a hard time deciphering my cursive. I think all kids should be taught penmanship but it seems to be a lost art. If I want a letter with cursive I have to rely on my generation to send it.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People tend to learn what they need to use in order to succeed. I'd like to see a study on those over 50 who have embraced computers rather than complain about them.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Im way over 50, I have to ask x wife number 2 for computer help. She has the I-Pad and I-phone, but then again she is on the computer at work...........whoops, she is 55 o no..............

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Difficult to speak of education in America without knowing this person......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDyDtYy2I0M

Her book is available online in full. America was once the most learned individualistic country in the world. Teachers have quit right and left because of the mandated curriculum and total structure....which is not to teach skills, but to teach conformity. That's why the department of education can never be abolished, it's working very well in it's purpose.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher and she's told me in the past that there's a lot of talk about doing away with cursive teaching altogether. The future is in the keyboard.. :rolleyes:

Monty

Expert Expediter
Recently found a letter I had written in the 60's, my hand writing was legible. Today, with age and loosing minor motor skills, my writing is not readable, often by myself!

So I stick to printing or typing ....