Ice less coolers

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone tried those ice less coolers that they sell at truck stops? They cost between $40 - $99 and only claim to keep the temperature about 20-35 degrees cooler then the ambient temperature around them. Do they work or are they kind of useless? With the truck sitting in 100 degree temps for hours, only 30 degrees cooler might still allow your food to spoil.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
They work as adbertised. 20 degree drop from ambient.

So they are basically useless

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I ran one for 2 years in my old st8 trucks, this new one has room for a fridge. Did good for me, great for water & drinks. Wouldn't count on it for food or milk if temp is over 85

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tried one a few years back. It was a small thing, somewhat larger than an Igloo Playmate. Plugged into the cigarette lighter/power outlet. I can't say I was impressed by it at all, after a few days I threw that thing away and have been using traditional ice coolers since. So far as I can tell, the only thing it's good at is removing excess US currency from your wallet.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've used one the last 2 summers and they do work....I've gotta ask...your truck gets 85 degrees inside?.....what I did was wrap a layer of that bubble reflective foil that we use in the van around the cooler for an extra layer of insulation....keeps my salads and salsa cool..and keep it outta the sunlight. I still use a small ice cooler for my Pepsi's tho...nothing like a real cold drink.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I carried a Coleman Powerchill cooler with me for 8 years before I started expediting, and for the first 4 years of expediting before I got my Microfridge. I found it to work quite well. On cooler days, below 70 degrees, I had to be careful not to let lettuce freeze in there. But it kept things plenty cool, about 40 degrees cooler than ambient as advertised. They aren't made for continuous duty so after near 24/7 use you can wear them out after a couple of years. But you can buy replacement parts easy enough.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bet when it's parked and I'm inside that it gets way over 85 degrees. I like your extra insulation idea. Wonder if I could find one that fits nicely inside a traditional ice chest.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I carried a Coleman Powerchill cooler with me for 8 years before I started expediting, and for the first 4 years of expediting before I got my Microfridge. I found it to work quite well. On cooler days, below 70 degrees, I had to be careful not to let lettuce freeze in there. But it kept things plenty cool, about 40 degrees cooler than ambient as advertised. They aren't made for continuous duty so after near 24/7 use you can wear them out after a couple of years. But you can buy replacement parts easy enough.

When I go home part of my routine besides oil change ...is I take the cover off the fridge unit and clean fan and the blades....seems to have extended the life...those little motors can't too much extra weight on them blades....they burn out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bet when it's parked and I'm inside that it gets way over 85 degrees. I like your extra insulation idea. Wonder if I could find one that fits nicely inside a traditional ice chest.

wouldn't it just be easier if your going to all that trouble to get a 1500W inverter and power a bar fridge? they are only 100 bucks at Wally World.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I was given a Coleman Thermoelectric cooler that I've had reasonably good luck with. Can use it upright like a fridge or horizontally like a cooler. Usually around $99 at the truck stops, I think. Search for Coleman Power Chill 40qt on Amazon for specs, details, and user reviews.

Supposed to keep goods 40degrees cooler than outside air. Even in Laredo, I've found it better than messing with ice and water mess. Comes with a 120v adapter too, I think, though I had to replace the one given to me with the cooler.

An important thing to remember with this cooler is to keep the fan and finned heat sink clean, which is super easy to do. It can gather a lot of dust, especially if used horizontally, that ends up looking like dryer lint, and that will reduce its capacity to pull heat from the unit.

Here's what I cleaned out of mine just last weekend. I noticed it wasn't keeping my sodas and cheese etc as cool as normal, so took it apart and cleaned it:

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1370538827.058414.jpg

All in all, at least in the way I use it, I like it a lot better than an iced cooler. I keep mine along the post where the passenger seat used to be and can access it safely while driving:

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1370539044.159046.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEO Forums1370538966.043693.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEO Forums1370538966.043693.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 23

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was given a Coleman Thermoelectric cooler that I've had reasonably good luck with. Can use it upright like a fridge or horizontally like a cooler. Usually around $99 at the truck stops, I think. Search for Coleman Power Chill 40qt on Amazon for specs, details, and user reviews.

Supposed to keep goods 40degrees cooler than outside air. Even in Laredo, I've found it better than messing with ice and water mess. Comes with a 120v adapter too, I think, though I had to replace the one given to me with the cooler.

An important thing to remember with this cooler is to keep the fan and finned heat sink clean, which is super easy to do. It can gather a lot of dust, especially if used horizontally, that ends up looking like dryer lint, and that will reduce its capacity to pull heat from the unit.

Here's what I cleaned out of mine just last weekend. I noticed it wasn't keeping my sodas and cheese etc as cool as normal, so took it apart and cleaned it:

View attachment 6964

All in all, at least in the way I use it, I like it a lot better than an iced cooler. I keep mine along the post where the passenger seat used to be and can access it safely while driving:

View attachment 6966

exactly...keep that fan clean....:)

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Easy enough, too, to make an insulation board wrap for it, which I've seen others do, to increase effectiveness.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
wouldn't it just be easier if your going to all that trouble to get a 1500W inverter and power a bar fridge? they are only 100 bucks at Wally World.

I like this one because when home, instead of running a cord to the van, I just pick it up and put it in the garage and plug it into a wall outlet. The guy that gave it to me used it constantly, and I've had it going pretty much constantly too, at home, campgrounds with power, and on constantly while running. Only off if parked for extended times with no park power.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got a standard length cargo van. I don't really have room for the electric fridge. Space is at a premium in the smaller units. Ideally I would like the fridge, but it needs to be movable and if needed, able to be placed on top of the freight.

With Turtles help I did install a battery and inverter setup for my fan and TV. I doubt if its a big enough battery to power a fridge for long periods of time anyway. Just used the largest marine battery from Wally World. I think it's 122 amp hours.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I've got a standard length cargo van. I don't really have room for the electric fridge. Space is at a premium in the smaller units. Ideally I would like the fridge, but it needs to be movable and if needed, able to be placed on top of the freight.

Ahh, I thought you meant the coolers most of us are talking about. Sorry.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did mean the coolers. OVM suggested a refrigerator. I don't think it's portable enough to work around in my c/v. I like your idea of taking it inside so it always stays cold. No waiting for it to cool down that way. I think the box also says that you need to put cool items inside, it won't cool down from a warm temp.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Have you already pulled your right seat out? Put it there. Assuming you don't run team. Mine came out for good the first time I took a 165" crate with a steam plant driveshaft in it to Fairfield, TX.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My seat is still in. Might work without the seat, then I could mount a microwave on top also. Good idea. Do these cheap dorm fridges hold up to the rigors of our life style?