Landstar info please

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now that I've stopped laughing......

If that's what you believe Phil, we'll leave it at that and move on.

It is a serious matter, Zorry, to accuse someone of manipulating facts, especially when that someone has written for publications, and even edited one for a time, that people rely upon for industry information.

I have not once manipulated a fact in my writings, blog or this Open Fourm. Now either find proof to the contrary and back up your allegation or drop this.

Last edited:

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One needs to be a complete out of touch ignorant to believe that statement.

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement. From my experience centralized dispatch is a straight jacket on potential profits. I network in much the same manner as he and his wife do. Even with a handful of LS agents, as a broker carrier. Yes, all of the dozen or so I work with regularly know exactly who I am. Some of the ones who send a lot of lucrative business my way get occasional gift cards to a nice restaurant enjoying a meal on me with their significant other. Spot on about networking and setting rates to a truck..

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

rjernigan

Rookie Expediter
McBride - My name is Robert Jernigan, I am the Director of Landstar's Expedited business unit. I am able to put you in contact with a few LEA BCOs that drive Sprinter vans. You can reach me @ 904 390-4881.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think so Phil. Landstar DOES NOT give out the personal information of their drivers! Just tried it. You should have more respect for your carrier than to think they would invade your privacy.

No they call the BCO and ask if the'll talk to the people and give them info. I've done it a couple of times and I tell them the good the bad and the ugly of LEAM.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thank you Mr Jernigan for taking the time to come here and offer Mcbride the help he needs.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
There a lot out there look in the truck stops I meet a team that set in Petro in Nj for a week.They not on the favor of the month list. Times get tuff drivers die on the vine,only a few get the good loads, most one way fright and dead head back to a fright lane and hope the favor of the month club members are busy.LOL

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Teacher, Teacher, they're picking on me .
Actually, they are not picking on you. You make a habit of following Ateam's posts and making asinine replies to them. You seem to make an attempt to turn every post he makes into a fedex vs Landstar duel. I doubt that Phil really cares what you think. He has a right to do as he pleases and see things in this industry however he sees them. You do not have a right to make accusations that you can't back up. It's pretty much that simple.

For what it's worth, Ateam started in this industry about the time I began researching it. I can remember everyone on this forum and others belittling him for his posts. I was not a fan, but I wasn't against him either. I took a "wait and see" approach. What I have seen is a husband/wife team who decided to become expediters. They did a lot of research, a lot of due diligence and prepared themselves to be successful. Since then, they have followed their plan and they have been successful in this industry. I have seen Phil fight a lot of battles on this forum...I haven't seen him loose many either. I also haven't seen him fail. I can assure you that Phil has battled much smarter people than you with ease.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Note, this was written before I read Rocketman's previous post. ( I'll address that later.) Well, chew on this.

You sit in that Petro for three days. An agent is reaching for the phone to call you with the load that's going to make your week.

Opps !
RollinCoal pops up as available on his screen. RC bought him and the misses dinner last month.

Who do YOU think is going to get that load ?

I can't buy our crazy computer dinner. Or send it anything at the Holidays. It keeps sending me loads anyways.

The Agent System is not a system w/o flaws.

Mercer instituted a program where you must limit the value of gifts to $25 per year.

Maybe I'll buy our computer a nice frilly anti-static cloth next year. ( hell, I don't even remember it's acronym ) :).

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Rocketman, I agree with a lot of what you say.
I'll pm you.
Honestly, I have seen so many with a personal vendetta (sp?) against Phil that I could probably write the pm for you...lol. But, if you wish. I'll try to read it without going to sleep.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Also, please pm me back or you can comment publicly if it makes any sense to you. You don't need to get into specifics, we don't need to open up any healed sores.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Reply sent.

Final thoughts: For those who choose a battle of wits with Ateam. It reminds me of what an old man once told me about wrestling pigs...."sooner or later, you realize the pig enjoys it"

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... Well, chew on this.

You sit in that Petro for three days. An agent is reaching for the phone to call you with the load that's going to make your week.

Opps !
RollinCoal pops up as available on his screen. RC bought him and the misses dinner last month.

Who do YOU think is going to get that load ? ...

As I said in Post #35 above, to fully exploit the Landstar advantage, you need to think deeper. You need to stop thinking that you know what Landstar is, and instead open your mind and look at Landstar as if you have never seen anything like it before. Set aside what you think you know about Landstar and pretend that you know nothing about it at all. Set aside the skills and experience that got you this far, and think instead about the new things you must learn and new skills you must develop to fully exploit the Landstar opportunity.

Diane and I interact with over 100 Landstar agents and have hauled freight for dozens of them. In over two years with this company, we have never once bought breakfast, lunch or dinner for an agent. Nor have we sent birthday cards, thank you cards, holiday cards or gifts of any kind. There are two exceptions but what we did early in our time with Landstar is done no longer because it had no impact.

In Zorry's example of two trucks sitting at the same place and an agent having received dinner from one driver and not the other; the agent will call not the driver who bought him and "the misses" dinner. The agent, having a customer to please, will call the driver he or she trusts most or feels most comfortable with to get the job done.

Buying dinner for an agent will not get you more freight. If that was the case, the dinner-buyers out there would get more fright than us, and they don't.

In addition to the money needlessly spent, there is another down side to that dinner-buy thinking. The strategy is easily duplicated by the next driver. If the strategy works at all (and I suggest that it does not), it only works until the next driver comes in after you and buys the agent dinner too.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Back in 01-02 when I ran for LEA I did about everything A-Team did. It is about marketing. I had made up calender cards with a picture of me and my truck, sent them to every agent at the time, anyway the list goes on. I never bought a thing for any of them. The big thing about LEA is when you do a good job for an agent they remember you and when they see you in the area they know who their dealing with. In the two years I was there I ran for about 3 agents who kept me very busy in a D unit and running single.
I would say that running for an Agent is like running for a customer. You try to please them both equally.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
We're a Landstar approved carrier and the same thing applies. There are a few agents who like us and we're always getting calls from them to book trucks. Really it's like any large customer with multiple offices. You have to get in good with each office. I guess as an owner operator, running for them must be the closest thing to running on your own without having to actually get your authority. The smart people who look at their operation as a business and market it as such are going to succeed under that kind of setup.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Is it so rare a BCO or Partner carrier does a good job that it's memorable ?
In my prior example, if two equally trusted teams were up for a load, would human nature give it to the one that bought dinner ?