YEA or NAY to the NISSAN NV HI ROOF VANS?

GoExpedite

Active Expediter
I am transitioning away from big trucks and into the van system. Like many drivers I am hearing from, I too am tired of having to rely on co-drivers who may or may not be committed to this type of work.

Have identified NV 3500 'cargo vans' ( ie, Sprinter-esque van) as a reasonable solution due to load capacity, ease of maintenance, and towing packages.

Seeing conflicting ads,etc. Is PANTHER the only place adding on these vehicles? Prefer to not carry the eggs all in one basket. Would like to add to FedEx CC also.

Thanks!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are you getting multiple vehicles or one, wanting to try the one vehicle/multi carrier model ?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would not buy.the Nissan. To short and bad fuel economy. Wait for the dodge and ford.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you care to share, what's your past experience and what's your expectation for the new van(s) ?
Do you plan to drive yourself.
It's very tough out here right now for even the best vanners.

GoExpedite

Active Expediter
1)Cargo bay is 10 feet long from rear of the seats to van doors... Not sure what you mean by too short!

2)Multiple vehicle, multiple carrier model.

3) Over 2 years expedite experience; mostly tcu with tractor

4) Starving on a team straight truck already. Can't be much worse than a $210.00 week!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
1)Cargo bay is 10 feet long from rear of the seats to van doors... Not sure what you mean by too short!

2)Multiple vehicle, multiple carrier model.

3) Over 2 years expedite experience; mostly tcu with tractor

4) Starving on a team straight truck already. Can't be much worse than a $210.00 week!

I never was a straight truck driver, but I was not aware that straight trucks were poor money makers. I do not remember in here that st truck folks were going broke, but then again, no one wants to say they are going broke.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First thing you Can t lease a C V onto more than 1 major expedite co. at a time. ..such as Panther, Fed x, Tri state. ..exc... 2nd. thing you need 12 ft. length x 50 " width x 66 " height and under 10,000 GVW. ....minimum and SRW. ... to make enough $$ .........anything less ....recipe for failure.....This is My Opinion..

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Do you ever get a load offer for more than 2 pallets on a cargo van?
Yes, I did and took them, in my old one ton van, but it was close, real close. Most of the time those auto crates were 4 by 4 by 6ft or 8ft long and that was enough because of the weight( 2500lbs.) I guess 99 pct of the time ,,just one crate or skid for me. My old van is now a camper set up, new engine, and rebuilt tranny, coolers and portable air for the campsite plug ins.....no more freight unless its me and my Ms x..........

Some of my still going strong expedite buddies are in cargo vans and rarely carry over one skid. I will say with a sprinter or NV3500 you are open to more opportunities with taller loads though.

Last edited:

GoExpedite

Active Expediter
Interesting. Panther requires 8.5 foot cargo length minimum.
And yes, you can do multiple carriers if you read the contract of either Panther and FedEx. You just cover up their dot/mc info with another sign with your own dot info or other carrier. As an independent contractor you have that option. They prefer you don't do that and end up paying them 15% for a crappy backhaul using their authority of course!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And yes, you can do multiple carriers if you read the contract of either Panther and FedEx. You just cover up their dot/mc info with another sign with your own dot info or other carrier. As an independent contractor you have that option. They prefer you don't do that and end up paying them 15% for a crappy backhaul using their authority of course!

Good Luck.......:D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Good Luck.......:D

That was cute.

I was waiting for someone to tell him to do something other than " Go Expedite" himself.

Sounds like he had all the answers before he started the thread.

Seriously, I'm not a vanner so I myself can't give you the answer.

First off, figure out why you only do $210 per week in a straight.

Think about the Fedex/Panther thing.
Seen anyone doing it ?

I'll let the van folks take it from here.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

If you get a load from another source you are still signed on with FedEx/Panther, you just booked your own load which is why you get 85%. The contract you will sign with the major companies will be exclusive use.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You want more than cargo space you want comfort. The more of that you have the more you'll enjoy life in a van.

GoExpedite

Active Expediter
Thanks for the help.
Getting back to the original question;
" Is PANTHER the only place adding on these vehicles?" i.e. cargo vans /sprinters?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the help.
Getting back to the original question;
" Is PANTHER the only place adding on these vehicles?" i.e. cargo vans /sprinters?

Well, You could call the carries and get it first hand from the correct place. Other than that, you will be going on hearsay.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
No, ive see the NV at Panther, T&k for sure. Cant think of anyone else. Ive seen alot of them with no lettering on the vans at all going up and down the road. Im in a sprinter and I love it. I wouldnt by the NV, to short and bad mpg.