Any body having problems with a 2012 sprinter ?

DST001

Expert Expediter
Just curious to see if anyone is having issues with there 2012 sprinters ? Thanks Dst001

:confused::confused::confused:

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
I think someone is just searching, fishing for info before buying one....It may be a good idea to wait until the other manufacturers come out with theirs..and comparison shop.

DST001

Expert Expediter
I don't have a 2012 only an 2008 sprinter was just asking in case mine has a major breakdown. I would go get a new one. Also I know there 2010 \ 2011 models are crap with there def fluid problems I was hoping someone has a 2012 they can report about thanks Dst001

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't have a 2012 only an 2008 sprinter was just asking in case mine has a major breakdown. I would go get a new one. Also I know there 2010 \ 2011 models are crap with there def fluid problems I was hoping someone has a 2012 they can report about thanks Dst001
The problem with that info on the 2012's is that not many of them have enough miles on them to know yet. It will be at least a couple of years before anyone can answer that question accurately.

BKWRM

Expert Expediter
I have a 2012 Sprinter with 118000 miles on it. I am at leisure to write this because I am sitting at home while my truck is being not fixed several times at the Freightliner dealer. It started throwing codes at 97K that were related to DEF levels. Since then we have had the DEF injector replaced ($1300) and the DEF Tank replaced $1400 + labor because a sensor was suspected to be bad. It was probably a waste of money. I believe they are approaching the problem by replacing anything they see since the computer will only tell them that the DEF is out of range. I would GLADLY drive it with the check engine light on, but with this problem you get the special "16 starts remaining" light that will disable the van when the countdown is complete. Drove home from NJ to SC without turning off the engine once that light came on. I really like my Sprinter (was in an 18 wheeler until a year ago) but this worries me - the expense, the downtime and the befuddlement of the people trying to fix it. My wife and I team in this thing (thus the high miles) and we have been scrupulous about adhering to scheduled maintenance. I would also like to know if anyone has experience with DEF problems and their possible resolution. Failing that, I have a nice 2 pallet sprinter with a great sleeper I would like to sell...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Some travel agent should package "Take Your $printer Home" cruises to Germany.
Or are they making them in Mexico yet ?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The only folks that do not have sprinter worries are the ones who drive one, but don't own it and there are many expediters in here doing that. If your retired, and have a second income, drive a sprinter owned by someone else and enjoy seeing the country on their dime, not yours.

If you want to see the country and drive your own unit, get a cv, a Nissan or one of those Maxx rides. I don't here many complaints on those. Ultra/Terra Maxx - Cargo Truck / Cargo Van

DST001

Expert Expediter
I have talked to an o/o on with fedex with a 2012 sprinter he was having problems with his def system. He said his check engine light was on so he sent it to the dealer they changed some censors and screwed around for a while and fixed it I think he said he had 30,000 mi on it All I can say is how can MB sell a product that is a pile of crap they have had 3 years to get this DEF Problems fixxed I haven't heard of GM or Ford having problems with there Def systems ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have not heard of these problems in Europe......so my best guess...Mercedes and Biodiesel don't get along well together....I really don't think them filters like biodiesel... IMO

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe a better dealership network in Europe ?

I think and that is my direction a link between Bio and the the DEF system that Mercedes hasn't figured out yet....we had a problem when sprinters first came over....EGR had to be redesigned because the U.S still had dirty diesel...
Dealerships can't fix anything when they don't have any guidance from Mercedes engineers on the solution

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have not heard of these problems in Europe

That's because the emissions standards for NOx aren't as strict in Europe as they are here* (0.05 grams/mile for us vs. 0.29 g/mi over there). Also, they have higher cetane numbers over there (49 to 51, vs. 40 here) and they limit biodiesel to B7 vs. B10 or even B20 here.

*Their HC and CO standards are stricter, though. Of course, HC & CO aren't treated after the fact, they're controlled by combustion efficiencies.

Agah1804

Rookie Expediter
Hi everone i was just browsing around and came across this thread, as an owner of few 2012 sprinter 2500 i though i would give my two cents on what i have been going through, seems as if the 2012 def system was a big mistake by mercedes i have taken two of my vans to the dealer twice already, there pumps keep failing. Mercedes has put out a recall for them but the money i lost and time wasted with the dealers is some thing i wont get back. I had late shifting problems and gear box problems i would like to point out both vans are around 25,000 miles. Its very stressfull. Hope this info helps

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Hi everone i was just browsing around and came across this thread, as an owner of few 2012 sprinter 2500 i though i would give my two cents on what i have been going through, seems as if the 2012 def system was a big mistake by mercedes i have taken two of my vans to the dealer twice already, there pumps keep failing. Mercedes has put out a recall for them but the money i lost and time wasted with the dealers is some thing i wont get back. I had late shifting problems and gear box problems i would like to point out both vans are around 25,000 miles. Its very stressfull. Hope this info helps

Thanks for the heads up about the recall. I have a 2011. Haven't gotten anything in the mail about a recall, but I did call my dealer.

There is a EGR recall for my van. Just a software update. Not replacing the EGR. Said it takes about 40 minutes to do.

So, if you have a Sprinter with DEF, I would suggest calling a dealer to see if there is a recall on yours. This particular recall is model / vin specific according to my dealer.