Illegal search, or stop by PD

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Today I was on my way to a Laundromat from eating breakfast and had just parked in a Laundromats lot and climbed into my sleeper to get my soap and clothes...KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK, I poke my head out and theres a Local cop and hes got his gun drawn pointed at me, HOLY BAT CAVE....he says please get out of the truck and let me see your hands, OK OK I climb out dropping my laundry and Tide bottle, he says we have recieved a TIP that YOUR TRUCK is being used for drug smuggling and were going to search it......

I laughed and handed over my drivers license, and opened the door and he pokes in and goes thru my shower bag, and my laundry bag of stinky clothes, and comes back out and now there,s three cops...and a dog....the dog proceeds to sniff me and the truck all the time barking and nashing his teeth real angry dog there....

The cops says your clean, and I said you got a tip, about this truck, from who ????
He says it was phoned in anon....meaning they didnt have any tip, they just made up an excuse to roust me and then concoct a search......I had no worrys as I know Im clean and the truck is too....what would you have done ????

After it was over they were like wow this is a nice truck and where do you drive and Blah Blah Blah.....it was 9 am on a sunday morning....

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
wow...... i dont know.. id be mad.
id make sure i had all there names and badge numbers i guess and complain to the there boss or something.... geesshh
isn that harassment or ... ?? i dont know...

moose

Veteran Expediter
Give E'm a break, them PD's are under great pressure now days...now that there's no more Twinkies for them...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Problem is a cop can shake you down and detain you for probable cause, and they realy dont need proof to search or detian you. Now, you could demand a search warrant that states the reason why they want to search, and specificaly what for but that will guarentee they will detain you, tow and pound your truck, take you in front of a judge, get thier warrant and thoroghly search your truck posiably finding somthing that wasnt there in the first place.

Additional problems are we fall under federal laws and ofcorse state and local cops dont expect us to know the laws of each state, and expect us to just want to get back on the road. Just like DOT inspections.
Worst part is your home is next, and we all better get used to it as our Constitution is further dismantled.

Bob Wolf

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
This has been a strange week I was pulled into the TN scale for a Level One after passing again for the THIRD inspection in 2 months the DOT Officer regailed me with tales of those inconsiderate and uncooperative drivers.....then this happens to me, Im begginning to think my picture is attached to some poster somewhere, I did find out my CSA Score is 33 ....IT SHOULD BE LOWER ....and I dont understand the ratios and how they come to these conclusions, Since Ive had ZERO tickets, claims, accidents or issues....

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same thing happen about a month ago while driving from richmond to blacksburg VA, A police officer got behind me and as I rounded a bend the sun hit me right in the eyes so I moved the viser over and weaved just a tad and got pulled over..Got the usual questions. They asked me to step out so I did,Then asked if I had any weapons I raised my shirt to expose my pocket knife which she took,then asked about the van. They seperated me and my wife trying to get seperate stories which they did not. I gave them permission to look and all the while BSing with another cop about what we do..Then a K9 unit shows up and I just giggled about it.He explains what he wants to do and I tell him"do what you gotta do"of all the cops that was there the k9 cop was the only prick,All the others where polite and professional which goes along way with me.
Anyways they did not find anything and we got back on the road only to realize the the female cop still had my knife.Did a u turn went back to where they was and got it back....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
pulled into the TN scale for a Level One after passing again for the THIRD inspection in 2 months

Do they not put the sticker on the bottom corner passenger side of the windshield any more to show you passed so they ignore you for the rest of the quarter?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do they not put the sticker on the bottom corner passenger side of the windshield any more to show you passed so they ignore you for the rest of the quarter?

I've been pulled for a level 1 with a current sticker. When I pointed out that I had a sticker, they just said yeah, we know and did the inspection.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well I know how you feel but where you made your mistake was opening your door and letting him stick his nose into your business. The only way he would search me is with a dog and no other way. I don't trust cops. 95% are crooked, makes the other 5% look bad. Be nice. Sir the only way you can search my vehicle is with a Warrant or a Dog, you choose. I trust a dog, I don't trust a cop.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive not gotten the sticker at any of the last three inspections, I asked for one and he said they were out, I agree the sticker SHOULD be given out and let them inspect some other guy, at least three times in 2 months my CSA score is dropping like a stone along with my carriers which is good anyway......Id rather cooperate until I feel that somethings being hoisted upon me then I have the VERY BEST LAWYER who has successfully sued and gotten money from Police depts for this kind of thing, recently in my hometown there was a big story on the news, BREAKFAST IN COLLINSVILLE is a YOU TUBE Video about this exact thing, These two young cops were just rackin up points, funny thing is later that night as I listened to my police scanner I realized they were running the license plates of EVERY out of state car, truck etc...it was simply a tactic saying WE HAVE A TIP....I knew better and could have said so but hey my laundry was dirty, I wanted to get back to enjoying my sunday and they were so young they needed STRIDEX PADS...last thing I wanted was to get shot by some nervous teenage commando !!!!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of high CSS scores my score is zero the company I get my jobs from is now 93
I just got a call from them asking more to stop at all scales and volentarily ask for an inspection I using their numbers to help lower their score.......... Yea right like I would just pull in and say inspect me but hey use this number I,d be a sitting duck for them to pounce on me and just keep looking till they found a rust spot or something to write up !

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm surprised Amonger hasn't shown up yet. He's usually on this subject like white on rice.

demotivational-posters-that-awkward-moment.jpg

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that while clean inspections help the companies score, they don't help the driver's. They just don't hurt a drivers score.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not giving consent for a search.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

So instead of getting it done and over with you would denied the search and turn a few minutes into an hours long ordeal. I gotta say i just don't get it.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
So instead of getting it done and over with you would denied the search and turn a few minutes into an hours long ordeal. I gotta say i just don't get it.

Tell that to my playstation, that one searching officer dropped off the top bunk.

They don't NEED to search my vehicle. They WANT to search my vehicle, and people in hell want ice water.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tell that to my playstation, that one searching officer dropped off the top bunk.

They don't NEED to search my vehicle. They WANT to search my vehicle, and people in hell want ice water.

My point is just that telling them no does not stop the search it simply makes the whole process take longer. Good chance it also irritate the cops leading to a more thorough and disrupting one.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
My point is just that telling them no does not stop the search it simply makes the whole process take longer. Good chance it also irritate the cops leading to a more thorough and disrupting one.

Lawyers say it is better to refuse permission for the search. They can still search but if they find something you didn't know was there or they plant something the fact that you refused could help you in court,because the search could be deemed illegal.