Opinions on self defense

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
In all fairness I think the question was if the guy had broken the window or been more violent what would you have done...I don't think the OP was going to shoot him strictly for pan handling.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all fairness I think the question was if the guy had broken the window or been more violent what would you have done...I don't think the OP was going to shoot him strictly for pan handling.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

True. However, it's also apparent that the OP was working himself into a panic from jump, and I doubt it would have taken a broken window or a forced door to begin the shooting. Frankly, stuff like this makes me scared to get a gun because it looks to me like having a gun makes you shut down your common sense, depending on the gun to get you out of what you wouldn't have gotten into if you weren't "heeled".

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(
That's true, but others quickly elevated it to a whole 'nuther testosteronie level, half of whom who would soil themselves while shooting themselves in the foot before having their gun taken away from them.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

Thank you, Pandora...That's EXACTLY what I was asking. What would you do IF...IF...IF the guy would have broken the window and tried to get in! As I said, the guy was actually ****ED at me that I would NOT roll the window down! I mean ****ED! I AM NOT stupid enough to blow a guy away just because he comes up to my van window with a gas can and asks for money, nor am I impulsive enough with a gun to panic and start blasting away at anyone who appears at the van window. NO WAY! I have had that happen many times (especially in Laredo) and I know the difference between someone asking for some change and someone who is STUPID enough to break my van window to get in. IF, again, IF he is, then what happens to him next is on him! He chose his fate when he broke the window. If (theres that word again) he did break the window, it would NOT be so he could have more room to accept my Charity! I was asking if anyone of you had someone actually break the window to try to get in and if so, what did you do? You must remember, I did have my wife with me and to me that changes the whole picture. Her safety is MY responsibility, not the cops! As long as the beggar stays outside of the van, he is in NO danger, but when he forcibly crosses the threash hold of the van door, then he is trouble! I know the media would like to portray (and they do it every chance they get) gun owners as NOT having the sense to NOT blow away someone who is merely asking directions, and they LOVE to show us as being inept enough to blow our own foot off, and they LOVE to show us as being STUPID enough to "shoot first and ask questions later!"As far as I was concerned the situation was OVER the second he turned his back on me and left! I was NOT paniked or worked up into a state of "BLOOD FEVER!" Not at all! I was merely going to be ready if, again, HE escalated the situation by trying to get in my van!
Thanks for reading this. Anyone agree?

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
That's true, but others quickly elevated it to a whole 'nuther testosteronie level, half of whom who would soil themselves while shooting themselves in the foot before having their gun taken away from them.

I'm all estrogen so I can't relate! :p

Unfortunately when I got my conceal & carry permit there was no intelligence test only a finger print and background check!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Jumbuck I do understand...I got my permit and gun when I became single many yrs ago. Until then my ex had guns and was the protector. I had kids and had a house broke into so it became my duty to be prepared to protect them by myself.
And all joking aside most legal and permitted gun owners are careful, respectful and sane users of guns. They think before they act bc they know acting out in an unjustified way will result not only on losing they're right to bear arm but potential could result in jail time. You have exceptions to that but there's always an idiot somewhere!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
guys, i am a licensed private investigator in 2 states, a bail bondsman and fugitive recovery agent, have been since 1985. I get paid to put my hands on known fugitives and fleeing felons, but i know in advance what i chose to get myself into. I have heard many people quoting their rights and that they were being infringed upon, all the while being carted off to the local jail, and as indignant as anyone can imagine. I am not licensed to carry in all states, but i am in a large percentage of them and do not always carry. My reasons are different and this is not the place to share that information. My reason for responding was to admonish those that do carry to think first, because the aftermath created by an over-reactive response will take a lifetime to address, financially and freedom-wise. In courts, whether you agree with it or not, the cold reality is that criminals are treated differently because they are the victims and behave just as one would think a criminal would. However, the law reacts much harsher on an individual with no criminal record who, in the eyes of the court, should know better. This has nothing to do with race, as i have seen the treatment of young adults of color that come from wealthy, professional families get the proverbial book thrown at them because they had other opportunities and should have known better. Different standards? Absolutely, and there is nothing colder than standing on the other side of the bars restating your innocence for 20 to life.

Scott
maryland bail bonds, private investigators, process servers

Yeahhh..............booyaaa...........we got you now brada.....you can't run from the dog brada....yeahhhhhhhh! lol

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Blizzard, somehow I knew that was coming! I did a guest speaking engagement in Las Vegas in 2007 and he was the other guest speaker. I was surprised that he was so little, but his persona was the same on stage as off, he never broke character.

Scott

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Enjoying the many pleasures of San Francisco Turtle? :p
Unfortunately, er, uh, I mean, fortunately, no.

I'm enjoying the many pleasures of camping out at a Mercedes dealership waiting for them to open in the morning so they can fix my Sprinter. The battery works just fine, tests out fine, except when I turn the key to start the van, then it acts like there's no batter at all under the hood. It's very weird. It's beyond Sprinter Weird, which is pretty weird.

So, I'll just sit here with my can of wasp spray and laser pointer tool and be on the lookout for scary people toting gas cans.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter

I'm enjoying the many pleasures of camping out at a Mercedes dealership waiting for them to open in the morning so they can fix my Sprinter. The battery works just fine, tests out fine, except when I turn the key to start the van, then it acts like there's no batter at all under the hood. It's very weird. It's beyond Sprinter Weird, which is pretty weird.

So, I'll just sit here with my can of wasp spray and laser pointer tool and be on the lookout for scary people toting gas cans.

I have a pink mini Louisville slugger you can borrow!! It's Fabulous! :p

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Blizzard, somehow I knew that was coming! I did a guest speaking engagement in Las Vegas in 2007 and he was the other guest speaker. I was surprised that he was so little, but his persona was the same on stage as off, he never broke character.

Scott
I like how they pray and thank god for the day and then after they catch the fugutive they are right in the guys face. Booya mofo we got you now brada. lol.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have a very good tip when it comes to self-defense as a cargo van driver. Take a shower once a week. Being unclean can be a great crime stopper. When I used to raise my hands the birds would fall out of the trees and people would back off. It's almost as effective as pepper spray. J/K.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Real quick thought on your problem: I've had that happen with Fords, so it's not just a Sprinter problem. Good power from the battery until you try to start--- then, totally dead. No lights, no nothing. Look for corroded battery cable connections. The corrosion will be where the lead cable-clamp is crimped onto the wire. The only way to fix it is with new battery cable clamps.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks, but trust me, I have immaculate battery cables. :)

The battery load-tests just fine, and there are no voltage drops on any of the important cables. Fuses and relays have been checked. Most likely it's a situation between the transponder chip in the key and the ignition switch. Primary and spare keys do it, so it points more towards the ignition switch. But it could be the computer or a contact wire in the dash or the steering column.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Real quick thought on your problem: I've had that happen with Fords, so it's not just a Sprinter problem. Good power from the battery until you try to start--- then, totally dead. No lights, no nothing. Look for corroded battery cable connections. The corrosion will be where the lead cable-clamp is crimped onto the wire. The only way to fix it is with new battery cable clamps.

Thanks, but trust me, I have immaculate battery cables. :)

The battery load-tests just fine, and there are no voltage drops on any of the important cables. Fuses and relays have been checked. Most likely it's a situation between the transponder chip in the key and the ignition switch. Primary and spare keys do it, so it points more towards the ignition switch. But it could be the computer or a contact wire in the dash or the steering column.

Can we say - a teeny bit off topic? :p

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I carry a couple good cans of wasp spray..1 in the drivers door..and 1 by my bunk..i would not want a can of that stuff in my face...

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

THIS BS AGAIN? Wasp spray is HIGHLY overrated as a defense weapon. I'm not saying it'd be good for you or would be pleasant, but it's hardly the peacemaker it's been portrayed as. And try doing it in the People's Republic of California, New York, or Massachusetts, among others, and see what happens to you.