Gearing up for the Expedite Expo

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
All of the Expedite companies are beginning to gear up for the 2012 Expedite Expo. We put much thought, time, effort and money into the show to attract you drivers to our companies. Tell us what are some of your favorite things, such as handouts, at the Expo? What would you like to see some companies offer to you owner operators? What can we do to make this the best Expedite Expo ever?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
The truth is the best thing you can give. Yes you can sugar coat with high sign on bonuses and little hidden words, but unfortunately it is going to attract drivers for the wrong reason resulting in unsatisfied drivers and in turn a high turn over rate.

Also if you do hand out literature my suggestion is listing as many stipulations to your qualifications as you can fit. It will help avoid repetitive unnecessary questions during and after the show.

Remember giving away pens hats etc is going to draw a croud that is more likely there for your goodies than your information.

Don't be tacky like others in the past.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Most don't understand that you can only get so much from a dollar. Company's need to make it EASY TO BUSINESS with. Keep the overhead down, both operators and companys. Bigger does not mean better.:cool:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We need a charity to benefit from the event. And exhibitors donating USEFUL items we buy raffle tickets for. Examples are rice cookers, butane stoves, coleman heaters, safety vests, maglights, mattresses, portable drills, fuse and electrical kits, glovrs, windshield screens, gps, straps, polishing tools, cast iron skillets, digital cameras, shower bags, fridges. Stuff we use. Exhibitors still ave their door prizes but they donate $$$ for tax benefit or actual items. They shoukd be on display these raffle items. 6 tickets $5. 12 for ten bucks etc. Have to write name on ticket. Tickets drawn throughout day and winning ticket attached to item. If not picked up by end of event gets donated to some charity. This way everyone can win. EO wins. A charity wins. Hats pens keyfobs bags and freebies are all good. There needs to be a EO scavenger hunt where attendees "SPOT" posters on the site. Print out on index card 20 lines. Folks have to place PEN NAME real name hometown and a distinguishing feature for the first 20 they find at the event. The attendee puts their name on it and enters a drawing for an EO specific prize.

Melissa ~ Team Kephart @ Mayfield Express

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Comments collected on these cards could be a real source of amusement. Think about some of these distinguish ing features we already know. Hmmmm. Like "wears machete"

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We need a charity to benefit from the event. And exhibitors donating USEFUL items we buy raffle tickets for. Examples are rice cookers, butane stoves, coleman heaters, safety vests, maglights, mattresses, portable drills, fuse and electrical kits, glovrs, windshield screens, gps, straps, polishing tools, cast iron skillets, digital cameras, shower bags, fridges. Stuff we use. Exhibitors still ave their door prizes but they donate $$$ for tax benefit or actual items. They shoukd be on display these raffle items. 6 tickets $5. 12 for ten bucks etc. Have to write name on ticket. Tickets drawn throughout day and winning ticket attached to item. If not picked up by end of event gets donated to some charity. This way everyone can win. EO wins. A charity wins. Hats pens keyfobs bags and freebies are all good. There needs to be a EO scavenger hunt where attendees "SPOT" posters on the site. Print out on index card 20 lines. Folks have to place PEN NAME real name hometown and a distinguishing feature for the first 20 they find at the event. The attendee puts their name on it and enters a drawing for an EO specific prize.

There usually is charity raffles already. You will find them at a couple booths. Many prize give aways also, one of the most popular the drawing limited to eo members for an ESPAR curtesy of ESPAR of Michigan

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This may be out in left field but ill go with it anyway. Something I have never seen handed out is a sample settlement sheet that shows deductions, earnings, etc. might be an idea to knock around.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Jusy thinking one big raffle that EO sponsored might be good PR.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Jusy thinking one big raffle that EO sponsored might be good PR.

We can sell 2000 tickets at $1000 each. and your get ownership of Mayfield Express LLC.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We can sell 2000 tickets at $1000 each. and your get ownership of Mayfield Express LLC.

No Dave, we don't want to own shares in your growing multi-national, trans-national, global corporation. Just have fun raising funds for a good cause. LOL!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
No Dave, we don't want to own shares in your growing multi-national, trans-national, global corporation. Just have fun raising funds for a good cause. LOL!

Lawrence that was A joke :) . How about wristbands that say Expediters Online on them and give the money to help with research on breast cancer? I just ordered 1000 for the AXP of the Ohio Veterans Children s Home where I went to high school to raise money for a building fund.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like the ideas of spot something odd, or the scavenger hunt. This could take place inside and in the parking lot outside at various participating booths. The vendors could decide if they wanted to participate and then go from their on that special hidden treasure or object would have to be verified in their booth. There could be a committee to create the "clues" and EO or another committee to get the prizes.

In the past I have seen where you can stop by certain booths and they will sign their initials but that seems as if it is a waste of time for the vendors.

When we go to truck shows we are usually on a mission to find something we need or are considering purchasing. We look for the vendors that have the product or the information we need and spend time talking with them. IF that vendor has some goofy giveaway and we have to wait in line to get information we will probably not wait to talk with them we will move on to another vendor who we can speak with.

In 1999 I signed up for a drawing with JB Hunt at MATS and I am still getting calls from them trying to get us to move over there. It has not helped to tell them we are now in a straight truck, it has not helped to tell them we are O/O, and it has not helped to tell them to QUIT calling me. They only call me once a year but it still amazes me. I am VERY leery of signing up for anything since then if I do not want the product or are interested in the product.

The pens, pencils, note pads, and other trinkets we do not need in our truck so I do not pick them up. I know of others that gather them up for their grand kids and I am not sure how that benefits the company giving them out.

The thing that WE notice and what we pay attention to is vendor participation. When a vendor comes out to the BBQ or after hours mingles with the attendees they get my attention QUICK. Those vendors move right on up to the top of our list on who we will consider for our next purchase of anything. Sitting down with a vendor and chatting about anything from the product they make to the weather tells me they are engaged in what they do or sell. We have worked many shows not only in trucking and I know at the end of the day we want to sit down and chill. Well my thoughts are sit down, chill, get rid of the sales pitch and just chat with the people you need to keep your business alive. We have vendors who do this at many of the shows we attend and the list is getting longer of vendors who have found the importance of this subtle sale. They make it a point of mingling with drivers after the show closes and getting great feedback from how their product is perceived and even their company. I believe many of them enjoy themselves, have made friends, and have many unpaid advertisers out their for their products just because they took the time to sit and chat.

The vendors that IMMEDIATLY leave the show and go hide in their rooms or get as far away from the attendees send out a different message as far as I am concerned.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Right on Linda. The vendors that comingled with attendees after our real estate conventions benefitted in a huge way.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The benefit vendors get from mingling and getting to know drivers comes back in big ways as we talk amongst ourselves about products we use.

Most of the recruiters miss out on this great opportunity. Years ago Landstar had a cookout after an Expo and invited any drivers they saw wandering around. Many of the women offered to help cook and the Landstar guys refused their help and told them to sit down and enjoy for once it was their turn to do something for the drivers. They never once tried to "recruit" the drivers but the soft sell was very powerful and what they did for the drivers has always stuck in the back of our minds.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
There are some great responses here. Give us more!

I am listening - I'm sure some of the recruiters out there are listening and reading also.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'd say one important thing for vendors to do would be to try and find out from drivers what the company or products reputation is amongst drivers. They could do this privately with comment cards or trying to have a direct conversation with some so that they can talk with the driver about a negative image. This might help improve the image of the product or company which can help with sales or recruiting better quality drivers. The recruiters should respond like a human instead of a company puppet and have information to back it up. If someone says that a company hauls cheap freight instead of just saying "We pay $1.70/mile", they should just acknowledge the concern and show them the last 100 loads and the rates they paid the drivers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums