Frustrated with expediting

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
I've been in this biz for about 10yrs now (in a B unit) and the first 6 or 7 years weren't bad. Been with FEcc the whole time. I understand that companies need to make a profit to stay afloat, I'm not contesting that. What I am contesting is the honesty of these large companies. It seems to me that one of two things is occurring. Either these companies need to do whatever they need to at the expense of their "bottom feeders" or this business has gotten much worse than I think it has. FedEx CC used to be a company that I've been proud to say I drive for, now they're just any old expediting company. However, they may still be one of the best at what they do, in which case I can see that my days are numbered in this business.
My question is to those who have been with FedEx Cc for more than 4 years. Why do you stay with this company? Why do you stay with this industry? If you have been here more than 4 years you have seen the brighter side of expediting and the downturn it's taken. What keeps your hopes up that things will get better? I for one am tired of feeling like I'm getting the short end of the stick as a B unit among team drivers, larger trucks and white glove units. I am near my breaking point with this company. I have been a poster perfect driver for my entire time with them and I feel like they are repaying me with a warm mud pie in the face. Am I just having a pity party or is my discruntled view merited?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
While I don't quite have the four years yet, I've been asking myself the same questions. Got called 'unprofessional' this week, after being hosed on some accessorial pay. That rates right up there with being called a liar in my book. Lots of things could very easily change that would probably make you proud again, but is there any incentive for them to?

denny2010

Expert Expediter
I look at it like this. The grass isnt always greener on the other side. Then if you dont like where your at leave, find the better place..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I look at it like this. The grass isnt always greener on the other side. Then if you dont like where your at leave, find the better place..

I believe he is trying to determine whether other folks are having his same experiences.

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
I think it's not only not a shame that I haven't visited here more often but it's greatly helped maintain my moral. It's allowed me to remain ignorant an naive by telling myself "at least I have a job". I just wonder how much one can share how much the company's catered to they're own bottom line at the expense of their longstanding and loyally devoted contractors without getting censored. My "professionalism" is running thin with some of their new corporate practices, particularly being called by their automated dispatch system every minute an a half for 25 minutes straight in the middle of the night, hardly professional. This is essentially not the same comapany that I used to work for and many others have obviously felt the same given their "mass exodus". It's just a matter of how much you want to remain a corporate pawn. I could be out of line. They could actually be thinking about their drivers ahead of their own pockets but I don't think that's what's happening, especially when you look at their conformity to a larger more soulless, machine-like enterprise. I'm just curious how many other companies actually have it better or worse than us.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Well. I first say maybe its the van. Mayve u need to drive the bigger vehicle. See how it is. Then make a decision. I didnt mean anything negative about u. In my last post. Its a hard way of life if u let it bother u. We are happy here with fedex cc. But thats us. If you need to talk let me know.. hope it works out for u.dennis

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
More to this you don't say than what you do. Your qualifications and flags have a great deal to do with your worth to FedEx. The B vehicles are VERY easy to compete with by other companies. Not so much with the larger vehicles, as the FedEx brand is very well protected. Go where the money is.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Well into my 8th year with the Fed, and I find myself wondering some of the same things. Still run into drivers who have been around a lot longer than me, but not as often as I used to. A common theme of conversations with them is about how much better it was in the "old days," and not necessarily just the Roberts days is meant by that. Anyone who has been around for awhile and been observant has seen changes that were "going to make things better for the drivers," but that eroded our pay, our flexibility, our sense of being valued by the company. More and more it seems the company wants to have it both ways (and of course at our expense): costs absorbed by the drivers/owners, but the control and resulting conformity to the "company image" more inherent in the "company driver" model of operation.

Ultimately, each owner/driver has to decide where the breaking point is for him or her. If you are approaching yours, I understand and encourage you to look and think carefully before you make irrevocable decisions. But know this as well, that no one at the company will shed a tear or wonder why you left if you do. They know that the recruiting department has lots of newbie drivers just waiting in the pipeline to be turned out onto the road, and the upside is that they don't remember "the good old days" and will therefore accept whatever the current work environment is as the standard against which they measure things. After all, once you get the starting bar set low enough, it gets easy to maintain the standards.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have started my 23rd year with FDCC/Roberts. I have seen the business change over the years as more competition entered the arena. I have never understood why someone would think you could make a decent living driving a van. I began expediting because I had a pension and could afford to have some bad weeks. If you need to guaranteed salary each week to feed your family, make a mortgage payment, or other obligations, expediting is probably not the career for you.

I understand how much deadheading can cost, but to sit in an inactive express center for two or three days in a row is something I could never figure out.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I have started my 23rd year with FDCC/Roberts. I have seen the business change over the years as more competition entered the arena. I have never understood why someone would think you could make a decent living driving a van. I began expediting because I had a pension and could afford to have some bad weeks. If you need to guaranteed salary each week to feed your family, make a mortgage payment, or other obligations, expediting is probably not the career for you.

I understand how much deadheading can cost, but to sit in an inactive express center for two or three days in a row is something I could never figure out.

Ive been driving a bit over 1 1/2 years..just made that sitting inactive mistake a few months ago. Disaster and misery rolled into one. Then your so eager for a load you make another bad choice ! Older and wiser...very understanding owner with driving experience helps too.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
Well into my 8th year with the Fed, and I find myself wondering some of the same things. Still run into drivers who have been around a lot longer than me, but not as often as I used to. A common theme of conversations with them is about how much better it was in the "old days," and not necessarily just the Roberts days is meant by that. Anyone who has been around for awhile and been observant has seen changes that were "going to make things better for the drivers," but that eroded our pay, our flexibility, our sense of being valued by the company. More and more it seems the company wants to have it both ways (and of course at our expense): costs absorbed by the drivers/owners, but the control and resulting conformity to the "company image" more inherent in the "company driver" model of operation.

Ultimately, each owner/driver has to decide where the breaking point is for him or her. If you are approaching yours, I understand and encourage you to look and think carefully before you make irrevocable decisions. But know this as well, that no one at the company will shed a tear or wonder why you left if you do. They know that the recruiting department has lots of newbie drivers just waiting in the pipeline to be turned out onto the road, and the upside is that they don't remember "the good old days" and will therefore accept whatever the current work environment is as the standard against which they measure things. After all, once you get the starting bar set low enough, it gets easy to maintain the standards.

Wonderfully put!

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Is we related to Sam Elliot? ??? That guy is cool..great mustache and voice...lol