March Banter and Location

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just missed us ken, dropped in dover,de yesterday and then picked up in westminster, de headin to tx. For today. Just need one for the weekend.

Jenny, sorry for your loss. Call if to need to talk or anything. We are thinking of you.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Uggh. Well it was bound to happen. Had my first arguement with a dispatcher. Offered a 1000 miler "straight thru". Asked if I could handle it... I said sure, asked the dimensions to make sure I could take a break along the way. Was told I couldnt stop, the customer wanted straight thru, if I couldnt handle that, she wasnt bidding it. My point was, you quote them 50mph, as long as Im on time, what does it matter if I run 65, build up a cushion and take a break, or even a short nap in 10 or 12 hrs. Her view was no, the customer is paying for as fast as possible, and if I couldnt do it without a break, I wasnt getting it. She then hung up. I called back, got different dispatcher..tried to explain again... you quote at 50 mph...and there not many, if any, drivers who actually run that without a break. I explained the concept of building your own break time at 65-70....not talking an 8 hr break, just an hr or two was advised yeah, but some freight is too hot....

I dont think so...you quote a time, I get it there at that time, what I do in between is my business.

First time Ive been mad here lol.

Dale

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dale, you need to address that with someone, mike bayko maybe and get that looked at. In no satisfaction then there's always the boss. You could of lied but your point is rite. The load can only be dispatched so fast so what happens in between , well. You could get held up for an hour or two for any number of reasons. But get to the bottom of it.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Dale,

If customer requests direct transit than that is their request. They can sign in to our web portal and track the unit. If they see it sitting, they feel that we are not meeting their request.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Dale, you need to address that with someone, mike bayko maybe and get that looked at. In no satisfaction then there's always the boss. You could of lied but your point is rite. The load can only be dispatched so fast so what happens in between , well. You could get held up for an hour or two for any number of reasons. But get to the bottom of it.

I'm calmed down now lol... just got my dander up...ya cant let a customer dictate safety. I understand the need for speed.. but I wager "most" drivers don't run 1000 miles full out straight thru.... ya run fast enough to build up a break, stretch your legs, etc... then get there on time... if customer can demand faster average than 50 mph or so, over 1000 miles, they are demanding you be unsafe, in my opinion. They should be told 50 mph avg, not fast as possible straight thru. Sure Im gonna drive 65-70 where its legal lol .. and I will need a short break... dispatched at 50 gives me that time. But I dont wanna be told I absolutely CAN'T stop, even if I built up the time.

Dale

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't get me wrong, I understand what dispatch is saying, I was more addressing the manner in which it was handled with you . Your not that easy to upset. I guess maybe a better why would of helped

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Dale,

If customer requests direct transit than that is their request. They can sign in to our web portal and track the unit. If they see it sitting, they feel that we are not meeting their request.

John,

Wow, ok... I see that point, but if its given to a solo driver, they're going to need a break. Not full 8 hrs, but a break, ya know? As long as its showing on time, that should be ok. Run 1000 miles in 20 hrs with a 3-4 hr break =safe... run it straight in 15-16 at 70 with no break, asking for trouble. Shouldnt custome be told it may stop a short time, but it will be there at the quoted time? Ive done that a couple times now with no probs.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what dispatch is saying, I was more addressing the manner in which it was handled with you . Your not that easy to upset. I guess maybe a better why would of helped

Yes it would.... but I still disagree with the concept. We gotta satisfy the customer, but you cant let them dictate safety.

Dale

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I completely understand. To stop and fuel or eat, we can explain that to a customer. If a unit needed to take a break on a load that direct transit was requested would put us in a position of offering to a single if rested and ok to do it, or to put on a team. Again, this is only the case with non dot units. We do calculate the transit at 50, but if a customer requests direct, then all we can do is fulfill the request or not take the load.

As far as dispatchers getting mad or hanging up on someone. I will have that part addressed.

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well it isn't mega millions, but I rolled up the rim and won a free coffee this morning!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I completely understand. To stop and fuel or eat, we can explain that to a customer. If a unit needed to take a break on a load that direct transit was requested would put us in a position of offering to a single if rested and ok to do it, or to put on a team. Again, this is only the case with non dot units. We do calculate the transit at 50, but if a customer requests direct, then all we can do is fulfill the request or not take the load.

As far as dispatchers getting mad or hanging up on someone. I will have that part addressed.

Well, she was just irritated, I was frustrated.... and she did tell me she was hangin up, no need to address. I just felt as long as we're meeting protect time, should be fine. I see your point tho if customer requests direct.. no stops.

Dont raise a fuss, I dont stay mad long lol.. just like to know the rules of the game!

Got a better run... good one, I would have accepted, guess they assumed since it just popped up on QC... good thing I was in van! LoL.

Headed fo pickup, goin to Louisiana for Monday, goes right by home... cant ask much better.

Dale

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well, she was just irritated, I was frustrated.... and she did tell me she was hangin up, no need to address. I just felt as long as we're meeting protect time, should be fine. I see your point tho if customer requests direct.. no stops.

Dont raise a fuss, I dont stay mad long lol.. just like to know the rules of the game!

Got a better run... good one, I would have accepted, guess they assumed since it just popped up on QC... good thing I was in van! LoL.

Headed fo pickup, goin to Louisiana for Monday, goes right by home... cant ask much better.

Dale

Plus I won a free coffee!!!!! What more can one man ask for! ;)