Van down

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
The best and most important information to share is this. Sitting behind the wheel, looking through the windshield, lower your eyes and look behind the wheel. You will see several gauges. The furthest lower right gauge will have the word FUEL near it. You will see a total of 9 hash marks, the one at the 3 o'clock position having an F near it and the one at the 9 o'clock position having an E near it. When you fill the van completely the needle should point toward the F. Now, here's the most important part. You keep the needle pointing at the F marking or one of the next 5 marks, NEVER letting it go any closer toward that E than the 5 marks nearest the F.

That is VERY important. It keeps enough fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump. It keeps enough fuel in the tank to lubricate the fuel pump. It keeps enough fuel in the tank to eliminate picking up contaminants with the fuel pump. It also keeps from the embarrassment and potential expense of running out of fuel.

Lol ima put it down on my sticky notes i put on the dash. I have make sure i have keys and wallet then lock. and now that:)

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
what?

Again?

Didn't you learn your lesson with the thing sticking down your pants?

Ok how often do you do this?

Why would you sit at the pumps and fall asleep?

Ok i guess you weren't sitting at the pumps. But really ... ??

Ok out of all the professional motocross people i know, you are the only one who would put additives in the something and expect it to start, or did i miss something?

What did you expect them to do?

Send out a group of mechanics to troubleshoot the problem?

Seriously,

well of course, they don't travel around with a hoist in their back pocket. It could be a number of things, like the driver, or the fuel pump (which it easily could be) or even the ecm.

Dealing with people who fall asleep at gas stations makes one get a bit apprehensive about trying to trouble shoot a complex machine over the phone. I am of the adage, make them pay and they'll think twice - which i have done on several occasions, like the $50 gallon of oil.

Take advice from people who can tell you what you need to do and listen to them.

My advice is not to fall asleep in a van in a gas station but sleep regular hours because i honestly don't care if you fall asleep and hit a bridge (other than the traffic jam if i'm in it) but rather concerned about the people around you.

i love you 2222222222222 :):):):) i dont hit bridges btw i just like to back flip of bridges that i see when im on the road.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Just a lil harsh there? Glad you never made any mistakes at 22...

A lot of 'mistakes' are [in hindsight] amusing [for us, anyway], but this one is pretty scary: falling asleep when the fuel level is that low suggests a level of fatigue that is unacceptable for a driver.
Unless the nap was more than 12 hrs [a whole nother problem], this young man needs to learn to pace himself, or to accept loads he can do without extreme fatigue, or something other than whatever made him tired enough to fall asleep before filling the tank. In a gas station, no less.
Just sayin.....
I was out of service. Got no sleep because i learned my grand parents have 30 days to leave there house so i was up alllll night putting there stuff on craigs list and trying to find some, good housing for them to get. I didnt get to sleep till eh 5 in the a.m and had to be up at 7.30 to help my dad with some things at his shop. so thats why i was zonked. and stressed.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
#1 rule of expediting, take care of the truck/van before you take care of yourself...j/s.
I agree 100 percent i just didnt know that running under a quarter was bad for it . Oil change i get done way before the mile on the sticker at least 2000 miles before.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Well I am stressing safety with my comments. If he is too inclined to not get enough sleep and has an accident, what can I say - I can't control his actions.

With that said, I had a near miss yesterday with a van driver who fell asleep while he went through a red light. He fell asleep after driving from laredo non-stop and started the trip with 4 hours sleep. I didn't have an issue with him hitting me but the car that was going through the intersection a little ahead if me in the next lane had three kids and a grandmother driving. If I didn't use my horn to get him to wake up, the they would have been hit too.

He got a ticket, I called his company and told them what happened and the lady said she will complain to the company too. He had the nerve to tell me not to call the cops which I told him I didn't, the old lady did.

So how would I feel if one of the kids got killed if I didn't react to the driver?

You may think I'm harsh but I hope Zane there listens and learns - which I think he is doing just that.

I am always here to take in all the feed back. But my buddy i spent a few days with in ohio at the pilot told me he couldnt stress enough that I get a full nights rest if possible and wake up do the check on your van oil,air in the tires,gas up then wait and relax and he said make sure to get 1 more power nap for a few hours so no matter what run you get called on you have enough full in your body to do the job safely . And told me to make sure I go all out making a bed that feels like home so i can get a great sleep.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
while it did take GM Engineers a while to figure this out. They did address cooling the pump. On newer (early 90's?) in tank pumps they built the hanger to hold fuel around the pump when the level gets low. This fuel is replaced with fuel returned from the engine so it's always in the loop so it can't over heat.

However, going to bed low on fuel is a bad idea no matter how you cut it.

OP.

Can you hear the pump prime? Yes? Does it run with a shot of starting fluid down the intake? If not. it's something more than fuel delivery. If it does run for a few seconds on starting fluid your pump is shot, the sock is clogged or the fuel filter is plugged.

The large white cup holds the pump and cooling fuel.
REPC314517.jpg

The old style pump in the wind model.
15770091_mst_e3632s_pri_detl.jpg

The van cuts over but after trying to start it i think the cpu starts cutting it off after a certain time of cutting over? Yes i can hear the pump churn to. And i havent tried starting fluid yet. Luckily my dads shop was a quarter mile down the road so he towed me umm prob 300 ft then i was able to cost the rest of the way down. Im going to get a can of starting fluid 2mar and try that. so if it doesnt fire with that what you think it could be? And btw thanks for that info

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I've put the hole in every van I have ran. Even if the pump was still good. Normally you can bribe a parts store to deliver the pump. With the hole it's a 15 minute job.

my current van came with the hole precut :)

My van is a 07 and has 160,000 on it so im thinking with the info i gathered it might have went when it got low and i didnt run out of gas..... Im hoping if it did go that thats what happend.. Hey if it is bad That is what happened then lol

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
The van cuts over but after trying to start it i think the cpu starts cutting it off after a certain time of cutting over? Yes i can hear the pump churn to. And i havent tried starting fluid yet. Luckily my dads shop was a quarter mile down the road so he towed me umm prob 300 ft then i was able to cost the rest of the way down. Im going to get a can of starting fluid 2mar and try that. so if it doesnt fire with that what you think it could be? And btw thanks for that info

The engine needs 3 things in the proper order to run. Air, Fuel, Spark.

Find the missing or out of order one, and you'll find the source of your problem. If the pump died, or is providing low fuel pressure the engine could be flooded now. Repairing the original problem may not get the engine started until the plugs are cleaned/replaced (since they suck to get out, replace um if they have 40,000+ miles.)

My van suffered from a low battery a few days ago. Tried to start it and no go. Tried to jump it, no go. Replaced the battery.. No go.

It had flooded it's self. I stuffed new plugs in it and it runs like a champ now.

Mine is just a 4.3 and getting to the plugs SUCKED. Yours is likely the new 4.8/5.3/6.0.. On mine I got the front and middle plugs through the wheel well.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
And thanks everybody for all the help. And sorry it took me so long to reply back.
Wish some of you panty waste folk would get off this kids back..
Like JJ said he comes here and bears his soul and takes all the crap you give him with a shrug and still keeps coming back for more...
Enough already you >old turds:rolleyes:
Guessing if I want the new generation to cover my back and they/he don't know what a gun is I would prefer he had a Machete in his pocket...jus sayin
I am out.....
Zane you always have a place to spot "your" onion in Nashville if you so desire and if you need help with the van catch me on a PM with your # and I will help you get where you need to go..
Nice to see someone worth a **** posting on this forum..again jus sayin
IMG_7982.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
The engine needs 3 things in the proper order to run. Air, Fuel, Spark.

Find the missing or out of order one, and you'll find the source of your problem. If the pump died, or is providing low fuel pressure the engine could be flooded now. Repairing the original problem may not get the engine started until the plugs are cleaned/replaced (since they suck to get out, replace um if they have 40,000+ miles.)

My van suffered from a low battery a few days ago. Tried to start it and no go. Tried to jump it, no go. Replaced the battery.. No go.

It had flooded it's self. I stuffed new plugs in it and it runs like a champ now.

Mine is just a 4.3 and getting to the plugs SUCKED. Yours is likely the new 4.8/5.3/6.0.. On mine I got the front and middle plugs through the wheel well.

I think that could be the problem. Will see how this goes. thanks it makes sense cuz im over 100k .

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sold COE to a 72 year old bed- bugger that wanted to stop carrying furniture. He put it on at Nations Express.