Under 26,000 lb Straight with Hydraulic brakes CDL or no CDL?

Falligator

Expert Expediter
So my question is do you need a cdl or not to drive a straight truck that is under 26,000 lbs with hydraulic brakes? Also, do you need a chauffer's liscence to drive a Sprinter van. I am from Ohio, so I tried to contact the Ohio driver's liscence exam station which (of course) is closed today, so does the requirements also depend on what state you live in or where your dispatch office is located. I know that Ohio doesn't have a chauffer's liscence so I would have to get some type of class C. Thanks for the responses.:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A Sprinter is a van, same as the one you're driving now, except you can stand up in a Sprinter. Nothing changes if you go to a Sprinter, other than you can get dressed standing up as opposed to on your knees. You need a CDL if you want a HAZMAT endorsement, be it with a van or a Sprinter.

Under 26,000 pounds without air brakes does not require a CDL, unless you want a HAZMAT endorsement. That's the same in all states.

I'm pretty sure the Ohio Driver's License manual is available online. Most states are.

jmlaber

Seasoned Expediter
If the Sprinter was over 10k GVWR would someone have to do DOT logs even if they didn't have a CDL?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If the Sprinter was over 10k GVWR would someone have to do DOT logs even if they didn't have a CDL?

Yes, also some companies require logs even when the DOT does not
I had an under CDL straight truck and Ceva required me to log, but I never logged at the last company I was with driving the same sort of truck(not saying that is right)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, they would, because anything over 10,000 pounds in a CMV.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yes, they would, because anything over 10,000 pounds in a CMV.

I wonder if it's different for local courier companies, because we never logged, we delivered within the 100 air miles of the terminal, maybe that is the difference

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even for LTL drivers pulling doubles, as long as they stay within 100 miles of their home terminal they don't have to log.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
So my question is do you need a cdl or not to drive a straight truck that is under 26,000 lbs with hydraulic brakes? Also, do you need a chauffer's liscence to drive a Sprinter van. I am from Ohio, so I tried to contact the Ohio driver's liscence exam station which (of course) is closed today, so does the requirements also depend on what state you live in or where your dispatch office is located. I know that Ohio doesn't have a chauffer's liscence so I would have to get some type of class C. Thanks for the responses.:rolleyes:

Most carriers require a class B CDL since it's classified as a cmv and you have to log, so it really doesn't matter what Ohio requires.

Ohio rules:

To get a CDL-B, you have to take a test, pass air brake endorsement, test drive in similar vehicle.

To get a CDL-C, which replaced the chauffeurs license, take a test, pass either the passenger or hazmat endorsement, test drive in 8, or more, passenger vehicle for passenger endorsement, or any vehicle of your choice for the hazmat endorsement.

Sounds stupid, but that's Ohio.:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What part sounds stupid? The vehicle of your choice part? All states have that for Class C, since Class C is for any vehicle that wouldn't otherwise be a CMV if it were not for the endorsement. Meaning, if you want to carry placarded HAZMAT in a soccer mommy van or a Camry, that's fine, but you need the Class C CDL and the endorsement for it. If you will normally be driving a cargo van, you can still take the road test in the Camry or a soccer mommy van, since they are essentially the same non-CMV vehicle as the cargo van.

Incidentally, there are quite a few carriers which do not require a CDL for an under-26,000 vehicle. Most are smaller carriers.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yes, I am required to log because I am traveling more than 100 miles from the house. I have a logs refresher class tomorrow (even tho I don't need it.) And I had the safety dept here at E1 verify that I don't need a cdl because it is a 24' box truck with a 60" sleeper, but it has hydraulic brakes. So I'm just hoping for some more load opportunities with the truck. Even though it's gross weight is 8,800lbs. As far as the Sprinter goes...definitely TMI!! LMAO:D

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
In Ohio when your over 10K-26K you need a med card,log book (when goiong over 100 air mi)&DOT #.
If you have airbrakes in this truck you only need an airbrake endorsement if your hauling Hazmat or over 15 passengers.
I read the rules when I got my truck last yr & that's the way I understand them.
Bob

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Yes, I am required to log because I am traveling more than 100 miles from the house. I have a logs refresher class tomorrow (even tho I don't need it.) And I had the safety dept here at E1 verify that I don't need a cdl because it is a 24' box truck with a 60" sleeper, but it has hydraulic brakes. So I'm just hoping for some more load opportunities with the truck. Even though it's gross weight is 8,800lbs. As far as the Sprinter goes...definitely TMI!! LMAO:D

Falligator,

If they won't take you, I will. I know you're a hard worker. We don't require a CDL on under-CDL trucks. Just log it and keep your medical card up to date.