Hot shot trucks and loads

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
I understand what hot shot flats are, but what I are hot shot trucks? Are the our expediter trucks? straight, cargo van, etc.:confused:

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
The description is for open trailer smaller trucks, but what if your choses are (hot shot flats) and (hot shot vans). It would appear to me that my straight trucks would fall under hot shot vans.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I guess if one wants to get really technical about what a "HotShot" vehicle actually is, then anything from a 73 Pinto to a 2011 Escalade could be a "HotShot" vehicle if it is loaded with "Hot" freight and being ran in an expeditous manner to get the customer their freight in the least amount of time. (time sensitive just as in Expediting)

But, here is an old answer that I C&P'd from an old HS Board that I used to participate on. (the board is a dead board now so I'm not even going to post the link)

Definition

A hot-shot truck is typically a diesel-powered, dual-wheeled pickup truck that is set up to haul a gooseneck trailer. Hot-shot trucks are commercial for-hire motor carriers that transport freight from shippers to receivers. Hot-shot truckers can be independent owner-operators or they may be leased onto a larger trucking company.

Weight Limit

Hot-shot trucks are normally limited to a gross weight of 36,000 pounds.

Operating Range

Hot-shot trucks can travel anywhere normal-sized semitrailers can travel with the appropriate licensing and operating authority. Hot-shot trucks are governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Types of Cargo

Hot-shot trucks carry all types of freight that don't require the use of a full-sized tractor-trailer. In some cases, they transport specialty freight which can be hauled on the smaller gooseneck trailers.

Income

Trucking rates are determined according to freight classification, which is set per National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC). The NMFC determines freight class based on the size, value and difficulty of the freight to be transported. If an owner-operator is leased onto a larger company, there is typically a 25/75 split on the freight charges, with the company retaining 25 percent for booking the load and additional paperwork.

So, look over some of the trucks in the link I provided above. They are prime examples of what "common" HotShot Trucks look like when someone mentions "HotShot" trucking.

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
The thing that has me confused is, what did they mean by "Hot shot Vans". I was thinking alon the lines of expediting trucks. When I googled it, anything from straight trucks to semi's came up. They are listed as expedite trucks. I don't want to put the wrong classification down for my truck, this is why I am asking.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
"Classification" for what???

The naming of your company?

The way you want to run your business?

Advertising? Marketing? Insurance?

There is no "Hot Shot" classification when applying for your own authority.

Be a little more specific. If I can't find the answer, I'm sure I'll be able to offer a little advice, and others could too.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Am expedite van in the expediting world which is the trucking industry is a big 40 to 53 foot dry van. A few carriers offer expedited services and advertise such.

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
Sorry. I am applying for a carrier position with a company, there is no option for straight trucks. You have 48' van, 53' van, flat bed, step down, hot shot vans, hot shot flats. Those are the options. Not sure if my straight truck fits into the category of hot shot vans.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Sounds like to me you're applying for a "Courier" position and not a "Carrier" position.

Best bet is just to call them, tell 'em what you got, and they should be able to tell you what to put down.

If it's a "Hot Shot" position, I wouldn't do "Local" hot shot stuff in a straight truck. Seek out route work with a guaranteed minimum.

I'm guessing you ran across an ad on your local Craigslist, right?? If so, read back a whole month and see how many times they've ran that ad. If you see it placed over and over, do not walk away from that job offer, OK. RUN LIKE HELL from that Job Offer!!!

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Sorry. I am applying for a carrier position with a company, there is no option for straight trucks. You have 48' van, 53' van, flat bed, step down, hot shot vans, hot shot flats. Those are the options. Not sure if my straight truck fits into the category of hot shot vans.

Are you filling out a contract with a partner carrier, or trying to lease the trucks on somewhere? A lot of those partner agreements have an area like that.