diesel injectors

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Hi guys.
I may have a dump question. I;m not good on diesel engines.Freightleiner 2004 ,Mercedes engine .Bought it at 220 kmiles ,now 520 kmiles. I never changed the injectors . Engine working fine. Should I change them or just when are not working anymore. Thanks

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Personaly I would not touch them as long as its running ok until the truck is already in the garage for something else. More or less to eleminate another day of down time. Start saving for them now. This way its a "planned preventitive repair"

I just replaced mine and only 2 were bad but we did all 6 at the same time. Truck has 649,900 mile on it. They were the original injectors. This was on a Cummins Engine

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Shadow, I am curious, how much did you pay for 6? and were the rebuilt or new?

If you don't mind me asking.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Personaly I would not touch them as long as its running ok until the truck is already in the garage for something else. More or less to eleminate another day of down time. Start saving for them now. This way its a "planned preventitive repair"

I just replaced mine and only 2 were bad but we did all 6 at the same time. Truck has 649,900 mile on it. They were the original injectors. This was on a Cummins Engine

Whats the symptoms when they are gone? Should I buy 6 and keep them in the truck?Thanks

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Shadow, I am curious, how much did you pay for 6? and were the rebuilt or new?

If you don't mind me asking.

$105.00 a piece buy 5 get the sixth for free this month at Cummins. At the moment without digging out the receipts I cant say for sure new or recons. I am guessing recons. for that price.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Whats the symptoms when they are gone? Should I buy 6 and keep them in the truck?Thanks

In my experience I had a miss in the engine one time and the other time I had no definite miss it just ran a little rough and the fuel economy went down hill fast.

But also sometimes when they go bad the only sign may be you start making oil. Meaning the your level on the dipstick may increase daily because the injector "o" rings have gone bad and the fuel is leaking into the crankcase.

If you start making oil grab a bucket. Place it under the oilpan drain plug and just loosen the plug. DO NOT REMOVE IT. Just loosen it and drain a little out. If its coolant you will know right away as its heavier than oil and it will drain first. The sign of yet another problem. If no coolant comes out chances are its fuel. Either way get it to a shop fast!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
In my Hino the injectors went bad three times. The engine ran rough like it was missing and fuel mileage went down alot.
I'm not sure you would notice one bad injector, but if engine is running well and your getting the fuel mileage your engine should be getting I wouldn't mess with them.:)