Which run would you take?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whilst I waiver on my decision on here....and I work on instinct I would have taken the 736 mile load....AND then pondered my decision...*L*

Hindsight is 20/20...:D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I remember Moot...you've always said to newbees...it's not about the miles....it's how much money in them miles....are you backtracking? a lesson in Mootology

Hey after all these years I finally did the math. Numbers don't lie. More miles, more money. I'm a believer! Big wheels rollin', gotta keep em rollin', big wheels rollin', movin' on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey after all these years I finally did the math. Numbers don't lie. More miles, more money. I'm a believer! Big wheels rollin', gotta keep em rollin', big wheels rollin', movin' on.

8_26_04_09_4_46_18.jpg

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
1st of all I like your question.

The weight gets my attention with .30 more per mile, your % vs DH is higher but I do not feel thats an out of the question DH even for the shorter miles. 25% DH is when I say NO to short loads.

$150 more for almost twice the miles no thanks. There is much truth to the run smarter than just running. But they are close to each other I like the idea of lighter, .30 more a mile.

10% DH is what my average has always been, shorter runs seem to up that considerably. I see from time to time a 50-100% dh for a 100 mile run but the run will pay me after expenses what I would earn for running 500 miles at full truck rate so its the bottom line.

PS those loads do not appear often enough but there is a run out of my house to Greensboro about 4 loads a week that if I can get it I can come back home the same day 5-6 hours for the entire day and generate after fuel $400.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I would have said definitely load A, but when I've seen the weight, load B for sure. My van has never seen a 3000# load and will never see one.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whilst I waiver on my decision on here....and I work on instinct I would have taken the 736 mile load....AND then pondered my decision...*L*

Hindsight is 20/20...:D

I think that's the one he took....I would have taken both, weekend I move around anyway so 300+ d/h wouldn't be out of the norm....You know, spend 30.00 to make 500.00?

I would take the longer run....nah the shorter one......nah, maybe turned them both down....nah, need money, take the longer one......humm sit on it all weekend.......take the shorter one.....my head hurts.....

DougTravels

Not a Member
Now that the weights have been offered up as more info, It makes this decision very easy. It's a coinflip, heads A Tails B.
Just a second here goes....... and the answer is ...Dammit I just lost a Quarter and both loads got taken away because I took too long deciding.

Ahh well, at least I have time to look for my Quarter! :D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Load A

316 miles X 45 mph = 7.02 hrs

316.00 plus fsc (estimate .10 per mile van) $31.60 = 347.60

Fuel (low estimate van 12 mpg) = 26.33 X 2.04 per gal = 53.71

Profit $293.89 plus wear/tear on van

736 miles X 45 mph = 16.35 hrs

515.20 plus fsc (estimate .10 per mile van) $73.60 = 588.80

Fuel (low estimate van 12 mpg) = 61.33 X 2.04 = 125.11

Profit 463.69 plus wear/tear on van

Load A 293.89
Load B 463.69 difference $169.80

Chances of load on Saturday approx 1% :eek:

I'd say with the economy the way it is and with vans sitting I would definitely take load B. :D

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear you are taking into account fuel as a expense for your profit amount. What about your cost per mile?? try figuring the load with a CPM of .45 cents ( I know some will be higher and some will be lower) then you will see what load is smarter to take.

316 x .45 = 142.20
316 x 1.00 = 316.00
Profit 173.80 hours invested in load maybe 12 since it del sat. a.m. 173.80 / 12 = 14.48 a hour

736 x .45 = 331.20
736 x .70 = 515.20
Profit 184.00 hours invested in load approx 60 (if load at 18:00 unload at 06:00) 184.00 / 60 = 3.08 hour

Work smarter not harder, would you sit all weekend on a load for a profit of $10.20 over the other load??

That ten dollars ain't worth the risk of not getting another load on sat./sun. or early mon. plus when you unload mon. a.m. you might not be first out which will inherently increase your dwell time. Unless A - you are in a area that your carrier can move all there units out of in a day's time. Or B - you could be the only unit there and get out quickly.

Thats just my .02:D

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
We run a D unit for starters but I always look at weight. In this business weight is fuel. With that said we would have gone with load B for the higher pay and better fuel economy.

We have turned down loads (looking for extra pay) based on the weight factor alone. All other things being equal, a heavier load is going to cost you more to run.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
No, I am taking it into consideration 60mph! See where I put "wear and tear on van".

Now, I don't know about your carrier but in the 2 years we have been with Tri-State we have gotten a week-end load twice. That equals one per year, so that means I have a 1 in 365 chance of getting a load before Monday anyway. Now if my end profit is only, awww say 25.00 after wear and tear ect. Well, now I have told ya'll over and over and over again, I AM CHEAP! I don't care how much time I got invested in the load (longs as I was a gonna be sittin anyways) it's 25.00 I didn't have before takin the load! See, OK! I got to take the load B causin I might make 25 or 50 dollars I wouldn't have made on load A. Why take load A and sit doing nothing if I can take load B and maybe clear a few dollars more! Think CHEAP! AHHHHH MONEY MONEY MONEY, I LOVE MY MONEY! :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
in the 2 years we have been with Tri-State we have gotten a week-end load twice. That equals one per year, so that means I have a 1 in 365 chance of getting a load before Monday anyway.

Last time I checked there were 52 weekends in a year so it's a 1 in 52 chance. Not great odds but far better than 1 in 365.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear I see where you wrote wear/tear on van but I do not see it in your equation. I was going of the equation only having fuel as expense "12mpg or what ever you used". You are right about having a low chance at getting a weekend load, but isn't it better to get inline earlier for Monday's loads?? You have said you run cheap so your CPM is most likely lower than the .45 I listed which is a good thing. I guess if you can run your van real cheap and you view your time over the weekend not valuable - as you will be tied up on load, and your carrier does not have many weekend loads, then more power to ya for taking the B load.

FYI when I was at TS the PEO. board was the best board for weekend van loads followed by CHI.:cool:

aileron

Expert Expediter
So, any of you would turn load A down just because of the weight? Am I the only one that don't take loads heavier than 2500#?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, any of you would turn load A down just because of the weight? Am I the only one that don't take loads heavier than 2500#?

If you want funny...well not funny but the weights some vans will carry...go to www.bolt-express.com and click on truck availability.....man they got C/V's taking 3500-4,000Lbs and even sprinters...you can tell by the dimensions listed!!!

flattop40

Expert Expediter

When empty my weight is 5600 I have a gvw of 9700 which means I can carry up to 4000 but that doesn't mean I will haul that much.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When empty my weight is 5600 I have a gvw of 9700 which means I can carry up to 4000 but that doesn't mean I will haul that much.

No way...my old 98 3/4 ton with the 1 ton upgrade Dodge weighed empty at 5300 lbs....gvw was 7700

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I would probably take load "A" drop off then beat feat back to the board I got the "A" and "B" depending on the area I was dropping off in. Sure as hell would like to know where ya was sittin at....lol

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I would probably take load "A" drop off then beat feat back to the board I got the "A" and "B" depending on the area I was dropping off in. Sure as hell would like to know where ya was sittin at....lol

Express-1 doesn't use "boards"