Which run would you take?

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Had an unusual situation happen to me today. Wondering what others would do. Please keep in mind I am in a Cargo Van so when you see these numbers you can adjust as per your size.

Got a call from load planning and they have a load for me. We will call this load A. It has 70 mile DH. Total run is 316miles paying $1/mile plus fsc.

He then realizes there is another load from the same exact place and wants to know which one I want. Load B is 736 miles but at only .70/mile plus fsc.

Both put me in areas I will call average. Load A had a protect time of 8am saturday morning. Load B had a protect time of 8 am Monday. For those that don't know but Express-1 uses the average fsc so that is not a factor. Weight of load A was about 10x that of load B.

With load A unloading 48 hours before B and not knowing how many others will be in each area could weigh heavy on desision for hopes for a load on monday. Neither took you near home so that is not a factor either.

So again I ask. Which one would you have taken. I will not tell you which one I took until the end of the weekend so you can all chew this over. ;)

Also please give reasons for which one you would have taken

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
your talking about $150 buck difference after taking fuel into account with the difference in mileage...but load B you could slowdown....I would have rolled the dice as far as accumulating the dwell time for Monday....in this day and conditions I would have gone with the sure money.....Load B

DougTravels

Not a Member
The reason it is a good question is because it is really a coinflip. I'm not sure maybe if I knew the 2 towns. Yeah 150 more for 420 more miles on vehicle thats .357 per mile for wear and tear to make the extra 150. Oh wait but it is much lighter too so maybe more mpg and a less on the wear and tear.

So is the real question is would you do a 420 mile run for $150?

I GOT IT!! I SWEAR , I GOT IT!!!

I'd lose them both trying to decide.:D

It is tough, I'd prob take the shorter one with higher per mile pay and hope to get another on sat, then sit Sunday cussing myself out for being so dumb!:mad:

Great Question

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reason it is a good question is because it is really a coinflip. I'm not sure maybe if I knew the 2 towns. Yeah 150 more for 420 more miles on vehicle thats .357 per mile for wear and tear to make the extra 150. Oh wait but it is much lighter too so maybe more mpg and a less on the wear and tear.

So is the real question is would you do a 420 mile run for $150?

I GOT IT!! I SWEAR , I GOT IT!!!

I'd lose them both trying to decide.:D

It is tough, I'd prob take the shorter one with higher per mile pay and hope to get another on sat, then sit Sunday cussing myself out for being so dumb!:mad:

Great Question

You could gamble and take the shorter one and HOPE they have a Monday/Sunday night pick=up...IF you were in the right area and not too many ahead of ya....iy's a crap shoot...I myself woulda went with B still.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Flat rate - load B

I would't worry where it landed me at that point, because I assume average is a major market and if I was in a van I would DH over to another area if that one was a poor performer with that revenue would still put me ahead. Vans don't have HOS to worry about and don't get 10 MPG (or pay fuel taxes).

DougTravels

Not a Member
Yeah but it is still 420 more miles for $150 bucks after fuel .357 per mile, it is still a tough call. Say your fuel is 20 cents of that would you do 420 miles for 55 cts per mile?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
yea, I got that but I would still take it a $150 is still $150 and the less weight, the better.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah but it is still 420 more miles for $150 bucks after fuel .357 per mile, it is still a tough call. Say your fuel is 20 cents of that would you do 420 miles for 55 cts per mile?

Doug...my calculation had taken fuel already off...the gross difference is just over $200.00..the 150 is in your pocket money..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the exact money = 736 = $515.30 +fsc load B

and $316 +fsc for A ...bout a 199 bucks difference minus fuel on 420 miles more

cruzer

Not a Member
Not knowing where the freight is going makes this hard to figure,is this info going to be a secret

DougTravels

Not a Member
yeah I know ,thats why I said 420 more miles for 150 more after fuel, which is .357 per mile so I guestimated that it was actually like doing 420 miles for .55 per mile if your fuel cost is near 19cts per mile. 420 times .55 is 231.00, so if the difference is really200 before fuel it works out to .476 actually. 200 divided by 420.

So isn't that the real question would you do a 420 mile load for $200? yeah it is lighter.

DougTravels

Not a Member
The more I think about I would definitely do A, Even with the extra weight. I wouldn't take a 420 mile run for $200 before fuel or $150 with fuel paid. Taking the shorter one and dropping at 8am on a Sat. I could make alot more, but even if I don't score on Sat or Sun night, I am only out $150 and my truck has 420 less miles on it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Without knowing the same information that he was given, it's a little hard (and unfair to ask) to make an informed decision. But, with the conditions presented, I'd have taken the higher-per-mile paying run. More revenue on less miles is more money in your pocket in the long run. CPM is CPM, and whenever you can maximize the revenue per mile, do it.

However, load A is 10x the weight of load B is meaningless, so why tell us that? If load B is an envelope, then the weight of A is irrelevant. If B is 350 pounds, then the weight of A becomes the deciding factor.

Also, where each load delivers would likely be the deciding factor, in any case.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
B

Using my total cost per mile b would net me 50 dollars more.

Assumptions, MPG the same for both loads (not likely), both destinations same for freight out.

I'm also Canadian, sitting 48 hours after a del is very common (gotta find one back to Can right?) so that doesn't mean much to me. As slow as it is...I would take the money over the "possibility" of a great load in the 48 hours.

Maybe my opinion is not really worth a steaming pile of **** here. I chose the same as Ken tho, that makes me feel a bit better.

Edit, I just saw Turtle posted A, now I dunno what to think.