Which run would you take?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow! Mine tips the scales a few pounds south of 7 grand. Time to go on a diet and do some spring cleaning.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, my bad, just looked it up and its 5300 and gvwr is 9400 either way they have me listed at 4000

I'm not from Missouri, but you'd have to show me. I don't believe that, not even a little, if we're talking about a 1-ton extended van. My E-350 with a Powerstroke is 6950 with me, fuel, gear and all misc. items I took with me on the road. If you have a gas engine, that would probably account for a few hundred pounds less. But, then again, maybe you travel light?

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I'm not from Missouri, but you'd have to show me. I don't believe that, not even a little, if we're talking about a 1-ton extended van. My E-350 with a Powerstroke is 6950 with me, fuel, gear and all misc. items I took with me on the road. If you have a gas engine, that would probably account for a few hundred pounds less. But, then again, maybe you travel light?

Well, if we ever meet I will show you the weigh slip. Now granted the driver has put on some weight since then. :eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think the curb weight of the E-350's are about 5300, but that's off the lot, before it's outfitted for expediting. I live really close to the Bootheel, so I'd need to see the jpg scan of the weight ticket. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On canoe trips where long portages are involved I tend to leave behind items that are not absolutely essential. Lighter is better! But I draw the line at sawing off the handle of my toothbrush.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Express-1 doesn't use "boards"
Now there lies my problem.....:(D.A.W. Drop And Wait....and wait....and wait...I started with Panther in Jan06 and I've only been offered two loads at once one time. I was sitting on the Cleveland, OH board and I could choose between one going to Smyrna, TN and one going somewhere in South Carolina. I ended up taking the one to TN.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear I see where you wrote wear/tear on van but I do not see it in your equation. I was going of the equation only having fuel as expense "12mpg or what ever you used". You are right about having a low chance at getting a weekend load, but isn't it better to get inline earlier for Monday's loads?? You have said you run cheap so your CPM is most likely lower than the .45 I listed which is a good thing. I guess if you can run your van real cheap and you view your time over the weekend not valuable - as you will be tied up on load, and your carrier does not have many weekend loads, then more power to ya for taking the B load.

FYI when I was at TS the PEO. board was the best board for weekend van loads followed by CHI.:cool:

Well see, I don't drive a van. I drive a straight truck. :p

Now, driving cheap but not if it's going to end the driver or the truck owner in the neg. That is not a cheap load. What I am saying is as long as both we and the truck owner are making profit then it is better then sitting and doing nothing. It's always been my belief idle hands should be busy and to save a quarter is to earn a quarter. :D

footnote: Enough pennies make a dollar!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now there lies my problem.....:(D.A.W. Drop And Wait....and wait....and wait...I started with Panther in Jan06 and I've only been offered two loads at once one time. I was sitting on the Cleveland, OH board and I could choose between one going to Smyrna, TN and one going somewhere in South Carolina. I ended up taking the one to TN.

Our greatest asset...no boards and take it anywhere dwell time...:)

flattop40

Expert Expediter
My answer was to take load B. Everyone put up some good arguements for both sides as I did in a matter of 30 seconds in my head while I was on the phone. I did not want to be like Doug and lose both so I had to make a decision on the fly.

The two biggest factors that made me go with B were the down time clock in this instance was really a non factor because both put me into areas where I knew there would be little compition. And B put more money in my pocket now. As my my pappy always used to say "a bird in the had is worth 2 in the bush" what ever that means ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My answer was to take load B. Everyone put up some good arguements for both sides as I did in a matter of 30 seconds in my head while I was on the phone. I did not want to be like Doug and lose both so I had to make a decision on the fly.

The two biggest factors that made me go with B were the down time clock in this instance was really a non factor because both put me into areas where I knew there would be little compition. And B put more money in my pocket now. As my my pappy always used to say "a bird in the had is worth 2 in the bush" what ever that means ;)

So this guy owes you a $100 bucks and months later all he has is $90...or he offers to write you check...which do you take?

A bird in hand....