The State of Hate

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You mean the article ? :)

"Historian Thomas Frank linked the Times to the modern American conservative movement, saying:

There is even a daily newspaper—the Washington Times—published strictly for the movement's benefit, a propaganda sheet whose distortions are so obvious and so alien that it puts one in mind of those official party organs one encounters when traveling in authoritarian countries."
What about the author, Tammy Bruce? She has been involved with a large spectrum of political causes throughout her life, liberal and conservative.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Going all the way back to 1620 and the Pilgrims' landing in Plymouth, Massachusetts, people of faith have flocked to America in hope of practicing their religion free of persecution. The United States has welcomed practically every imaginable religious sect with guarantees of protection. Of course there are limits on these guarantees as religious practices must not be in conflict with existing law. Sometimes, tensions arise between religious adherents and our secular government. Such is the case in Indiana, for example, where a Christian family operates a small pizzeria.

This family holds to the Christian admonition found throughout the Bible which clearly states that homosexuality is an abomination. There is no gray area on this matter according to scripture. Moreover, in Western Civilization, marriage was always understood as a relationship between one man and one woman. This is a cultural and moral underpinning of society itself. The O'Conner family of Walkerton ,IN holds this view. They do not intend to be forced to participate in a homosexual wedding.

Unbeknownst to the O'Conner family, a groundswell of support from likeminded individuals would come their way. Subjected to threats of violence, including a threat to burn the pizzeria down, this family closed their business in fear. In response, a crowdfunding mechanism known as GoFundMe was used to raise financial support for this family in their time of distress. Earlier today, it was announced over $600,000 had been raised to help the business owners.
Check out the interviews in this link.
This family isn't a threat to anyone: http://www.gofundme.com/memoriespizza

Spelling correction: family name is O'Connor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilgrim and hdxpedx

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
...and the business of America is business. Not to be bullied and destroyed by some, and others in the media.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not suprised by this, indiana has a history of this type of thing. Just Google indiana and the kkk.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You claim that I "constantly post wrong or incorrect claims", and the sole example you provide is that Governor Pence "repeatedly stated that it was not for discrimination"?

No, I will repeat this for you again. Your inability to follow a conversation does not mean that I then have to post everything that you say that is wrong. I'm not talking about your opinion being wrong, I mean facts. You even mention the "steady drumbeat" in this post so you are clearly aware of how many times that you have to be corrected. Start a post called things Cheri says that have to be corrected if you are really concerned.

Pence's refusal to answer the straight out question of whether the bill could be used to discriminate against gays, [every single time he was asked], added to his well known history of opposition to same sex marriage, his private signing ceremony for the bill where the invitees were well known anti gay groups and religious representatives who also support the "freedom of religion" to discriminate, [check out the photo, lol], even his statement "I am a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican - in that order." all point to the fact that his denial of intent to facilitate discrimination is a big fat lie.

That's your opinion of what the intent was which is not a fact as you just incorrectly claimed.

The incorrect and uneducated view is that Pence was just misunderstood, and "the gay agenda" is wrong to attack: IOW, your view. The correct and educated view is that Pence is a lying politician who pursues his personal agenda, then weasles when called out on it [as many people do in public forums], IOW: my view. Also, incidentally, the view of a large number of corporate CEOs, other governors & senators, and countless other educated and influential people. Including a great many many in his own political party and state.

Do you even think before you post? So corporate CEOs must be right this time even though you constantly bring up how wrong they are on their treatment of people. Then you mention corporate CEOs, other governors, and senators to bolster you being "educated" in your view. So what about the corporate CEOs, governors, senators, and countless educated and influential people that support the bill? I guess they actually mean that you are wrong if we apply the same strict standard that you use. So much for you having an educated view.

Oh: you also stated that gays are protected on a federal level, but not that the Supreme Court ruled that it doesn't apply to the states, [which is the reason for the states passing their own RFA acts]. I pointed that out in an earlier post, did you not understand it? Or do you simply ignore the facts that don't fit your views?

Wrong again. Romer v. Evans, along with the Equal Protection Clause that applies to states, and several other court cases have already set legal precedent against sexual orientation discrimination. Notice how I said before that IF they did try to discriminate that it would be crushed by a court. Do you not understand this? It's pretty basic and easy to understand.

What's ridiculous is the steady drumbeat of personal attacks because you disagree with me.

Pointing out that you are wrong is not a personal attack. You like to call people stupid or obtuse simply for not agreeing with your opinion so stop being a hypocrite.

Ditto the smear tactics, such as "You even posted a link from Think Progress, so it's clear where you get your facts from". We notice you don't [can't] refute the facts, or even address them - just dismiss the source, [because you got nothin else, lol].

I'm pointing out that you clearly get your news from biased sources, kind of like how it is pointed out that others get it from Fox News. It's clear where you get your info from and that post confirmed it. As far as refuting the "facts", that's what most of this thread has been so I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble understanding that.

Either post facts that support your contentions, or shut up, already.

I see what the issue is, you don't know what facts are. Facts are the things that I post to prove your incorrect claims wrong so that has been happening. I'm sorry that you have so much trouble following discussions and getting the correct info but if you don't want to be questioned or proven wrong then I suggest you follow the advice given in the last few words of your post.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Not suprised by this, indiana has a history of this type of thing. Just Google indiana and the kkk.

I think the Midwest tends to have more there because the groups enjoy the open spaces for compounds and the close proximity to cities like Indianapolis and Chicago to protest when they want attention. The central location also makes it easier to gather idiots from the east and west coast. Plus it's too hot to walk around in hoods in Atlanta for most of the year.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You have a point - it's usually based on emotion and fantasy, not facts. Read the above article Muttly posted for another perspective. The homosexual community is not being threatened with denial of their civil rights. Their militants are a noisy minority trying to impose their political agenda on everyone else, regardless of their rights or religious beliefs.

There is a very clear and compelling case for projection [on your part] in the two quotes in post 116.

What you describe as "A noisy minority" includes the Governors of Ct and Or, the Mayors of Indianapolis, Denver, Seattle, and DC. Also the CEOs of the following major corporations: WalMart, Yelp, Apple, Salesforce, Angie's List, GenCon, Nike, and the NBA, among others. Very few of them are homosexuals themselves, so there goes your shrill proclamation.

The reason for the original [federal] RFRA was to prevent people [Native Americans] engaging in legitimate religious ceremonies from arrest [using peyote/mescaline]. It was not intended to protect religious "beliefs", which are not even close to the same thing. The extreme conservatives [the real noisy minority] are misusing it as a cover for the moral judgments that have been repeatedly rejected by the mainstream.
It's interesting that homosexuality is the one thing they object to, among so many other "sins"......Why don't they try refusing to serve people they suspect of being adulterous? Hmmmm?

Reactions: Ragman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If group A gets their way at the expense of group B it's discrimination and can not be tolerated or excused. If group B gets their way at the expense of group A it's fairness and equality and equity. If there is discrimination it's a horrible thing and must be decried, unless of course it's renamed Affirmative Action in which case the exact same discrimination is perfectly acceptable and should be encouraged and supported fully. Some get it and some don't.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nothing deflecting about it. Just pointing out that this specifically and other things as well are two sides of the same coin.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Do you even think before you post? So corporate CEOs must be right this time even though you constantly bring up how wrong they are on their treatment of people. Then you mention corporate CEOs, other governors, and senators to bolster you being "educated" in your view. So what about the corporate CEOs, governors, senators, and countless educated and influential people that support the bill? I guess they actually mean that you are wrong if we apply the same strict standard that you use. So much for you having an educated view.

Just one example, bc I'm frankly getting sick of having to point out your misuse and misunderstandings of facts. My opinions of how corporate CEO's treat their people [according to you] is entirely irrelevant, unless you can cite an opinion of how they treat gay people.
You refer to "countless" others who support the bill, but they are not countless - they're the extreme conservative names who could be expected to support it. Those who oppose it come from both parties, and no party affiliation, and no political participation, and they outnumber the supporters exponentially.
Your original contention, that Pence was being truthful and the protesters are gullible, has been so thoroughly discredited that it's amazing you keep trying to defend it.

If you have further facts that support your view of Pence's bill, post them. If all you have to say is more mudslinging at me personally, you have already gone way out of bounds.

Reactions: RLENT

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think the Midwest tends to have more there because the groups enjoy the open spaces for compounds and the close proximity to cities like Indianapolis and Chicago to protest when they want attention. The central location also makes it easier to gather idiots from the east and west coast. Plus it's too hot to walk around in hoods in Atlanta for most of the year.

Another fine example of reasoned argument and intelligent conclusion: not.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Last edited:
Reactions: Ragman

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...one chooses to cheat on there spouse...that's ok...one does NOT choose to be gay..not ok..hmmmm...sounds like good Ole southern bigotry at its finest...can I get a AMEN!!
What if one chooses to cheat on their spouse with a person of the same sex as they are?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As we figured these bigots pick and choose what "sins" are good and bad to justify there bigotry...here is a very good example..

Here is the best part...one chooses to cheat on there spouse...that's ok...one does NOT choose to be gay..not ok..hmmmm...sounds like good Ole southern bigotry at its finest...can I get a AMEN!!

http://reverbpress.com/news/us/diff...ian-florist-serves-adulterers-not-gays-video/

No on the AMEN. Yet again we see the gay propaganda machine in action. In the article they make it sound like they would just refuse to serve gay people but in the video the question was asked specifically about a gay commitment ceremony. Now if they want to compare things on an equal footing and ask the florists if they would bring flowers to a ceremony to celebrate a guy cheating on his wife it would be a valid comparison.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What if one chooses to cheat on their spouse with a person of the same sex as they are?

I think I saw in the Bible that it is a reverse double negative so it is OK. It turns out that two wrongs do make a right.