Sprinter 170" extended 4 x 4 payload capacity

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look at the builder's plate. Carefully. You will see several things which are important. GVWR we're already pounding to death here. Recommended tire sizes and pressure in those tires. Front axle weight rating. Rear axle weight rating.
I note that in my old Sprinter, the front axle weight rating was pretty close to what the scale showed me when I weighed the truck "empty" (just a full tank, my personal effects and me in the driver's seat). The rear axle rating was actually pretty generous... I could handle most of the payload over the rear axle according to the scale. Of course load placement had to be considered--- the Sprinter had a considerable rear overhang, and any load placed behind the rear axle will lift the front, causing suspicious handling.

OK---- no jokes or dancing spaghetti here. Look at your builder's plate. Go to a truck-stop that has a CAT scale. Fill the tank, have your stuff on board and you in the driver's seat, and see just what you're up against. How much can you carry gross? How much can you place over the front (probably not much)? How much over the rear axle? A CAT scale ticket will give you that information. If you know what your van does in fact weigh "empty", it's not hard to subtract the empty weights from the weights listed on the builder's plate.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would watch that dealer plate. Going over 10000 lbs in the States and I think it's 9980 lbs in Canada you will have to log and run scales. Not what I would want to do. Also you are opening a very big can of worms if you go that route.

Reactions: vandriver2

danski0224

New Recruit
Not always true.

On the Federal side, "interstate commerce" is specified- with a couple of definitions. Hazardous materials is another trigger.

Not all States require DOT numbers.

There are an awful lot of very large pickup trucks hauling big chrome stacks sticking up out of the bed being sold that would require DOT numbers and paperwork based upon GVW alone.

Best to check up on it though.

I would watch that dealer plate. Going over 10000 lbs in the States and I think it's 9980 lbs in Canada you will have to log and run scales. Not what I would want to do. Also you are opening a very big can of worms if you go that route.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not always true.
Were not talking "always," were talking "expediting in a cargo van," and if you are expediting in a cargo van and you weigh more than 10,000 pounds, regardless of what your GVWR is, you need to log and scale and have a medical card.

Reactions: vandriver2

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Straight out of the 2016 Dealer Order Guide, 2016 MY VII:

4x4, 170" extended, 4x4:

GVWR= 8550 lbs
Maximum Payload= 2,686 lbs (2,994 lbs for 2wd 170" EXT)
Yep, your final Acceptable, Legal Load Weight alllll depends on what is on YOUR Personal Van. Each Driver has different needs. I can't idle my engine for heat and air, so I have a Generator/Roof Top Air. This takes from my Load Weight.
Your Bunk, a rear swing out for your Generator, your Roof Top Air conditioner, your fuel, Clothes, Water, Deer Guard,
all of that is different for each Driver....and must be subtracted from your GVW Przewinski.
My Sprinter is where I Live...it is my Office/RV, and my comfort to sleep in is highly important to me over say 15 years. I won't exceed my GVW.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
actually there is no LEGAL...when it comes to an UNREGULATED cargo van....BUT there is the legal obligation in a civil court IF you should be in an accident when over the door sticker numbers...good chance you'll get your butt and your carrier as well could get a big fat lawsuit.....that is why it behooves me how many times in my career with EVERY carrier that dispatch asks me about doing loads OVER my scale ticket and specs which are right in front of them....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle mentions the problems of going over 10K in a van-- whether Sprinter, Promaster, the new Ford version (I forget the name) or just a plain ol Chevy or Ford E-van--- that you'll have to scale, log and have the DOT physical.

Since in this case we're talking a 2500 series Sprinter rated at 8550 GVWR, I would point out that pushing this vehicle up over 10K presents other problems. Problems that get expensive fast. First, you're 1,450 lbs overweight at that point according to your door sticker. Pull across the scales--- the nice state trooper is gonna wave you over to the side and start asking questions because he knows that no 2500 series van--- of any make-- should weigh that much. So--- expect to pay a lot. Then, there's the issues of wear and tear on your vehicle. Tires, brakes, bearings, springs, struts and so on all wear more. The engine and tranny won't like it much either.

I could think of better ideas than being that much over without trying.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle mentions the problems of going over 10K in a van-- whether Sprinter, Promaster, the new Ford version (I forget the name) or just a plain ol Chevy or Ford E-van--- that you'll have to scale, log and have the DOT physical.

Since in this case we're talking a 2500 series Sprinter rated at 8550 GVWR, I would point out that pushing this vehicle up over 10K presents other problems. Problems that get expensive fast. First, you're 1,450 lbs overweight at that point according to your door sticker. Pull across the scales--- the nice state trooper is gonna wave you over to the side and start asking questions because he knows that no 2500 series van--- of any make-- should weigh that much. So--- expect to pay a lot. Then, there's the issues of wear and tear on your vehicle. Tires, brakes, bearings, springs, struts and so on all wear more. The engine and tranny won't like it much either.

I could think of better ideas than being that much over without trying.
What are they going to pay? Vans are NOT regulated...except when hazmat?

the officer could proclaim them to be an "unsafe" vehicle and ground them right there...

Reactions: ntimevan

tknight

Veteran Expediter
What is funny, I just saw a load for a cargo van 4000 lbs and 148" long by 36 x43 headed west from Va. to ca. That's a long ride that heavy hanging out the back door! Funny it got booked with some sucker
Will that even fit in a sprinter or cargo van? I don't know exact sizes as u drive a 24' st8

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What are they going to pay? Vans are NOT regulated...except when hazmat?
Once they hit 10,001 pounds it's a different ballgame.

More than Sprinters and the various Sprinter-wannabes, it's those cute little cube vans that are likely to be cited for skirting DOT regulations if they are overweight.

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is funny, I just saw a load for a cargo van 4000 lbs and 148" long by 36 x43 headed west from Va. to ca. That's a long ride that heavy hanging out the back door! Funny it got booked with some sucker
thats a lot of weight over them mountains....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once they hit 10,001 pounds it's a different ballgame.

More than Sprinters and the various Sprinter-wannabes, it's those cute little cube vans that are likely to be cited for skirting DOT regulations if they are overweight.
theres a law called skirting?....;)

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
theres a law called skirting?....;)
Actually, yeah. Skirting in the euphemism for "willfully and intentionally" ignoring the US Code of Federal Regulations, which adds, in effect, premeditation to simple medical card and log book violations, and is the difference between a few hundred dollar fine and a few tens of thousands dollar fine.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually, yeah. Skirting in the euphemism for "willfully and intentionally" ignoring the US Code of Federal Regulations, which adds, in effect, premeditation to simple medical card and log book violations, and is the difference between a few hundred dollar fine and a few tens of thousands dollar fine.
Thats why I was thinking...the officer could get you as an "unsafe vehicle"....and pull your plates right there till you unloaded some weight...

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Perfect example: today's load accepted at exactly my Max. load Weight.
Arrive, and BOL states the 3 Skids Total 250 lbs. OVER my Max./GVW.
I explain to the two people in Shipping because they are genuinely curious about the 10,000 lb. Rating over needing to Log their hours and on and on. He says well, we just Pad that weight a little, that 250, so it's probably not even that. What?? I'm thinking!
I say, tell Ya what, if all three skids weight the same would you mind please scaling one for me? No problem he says!
Holy Mackeral!! They were not only 250lbs. Over my Max., they were 598 lbs. overweight! I call in and explain and in the end am still on the load, just only taking two skids. The Shipper then says "wow, see, they don't even know the weight of their own product!" He doesn't look me in the eye. In my mind, I'm thinking about all the big Trucks getting loded and if their BOL is accurate. Not my problem. I at least feel good that I helped him understand the Owner Operators duty to themselves, their vehicle to always operate within their known limitations....for many reasons. Not that my conversation made any difference! The customer was absolutley fine with me STILL bringing only two skids to them. It's another Wonderful Day and I get to enjoy a lovely drive! Safety #1 to me.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have been ok with the 250 but not the 598!

I learned looong ago not to show dispatch all your cards....my wiggle room is removed from what I'll take....depending of course how it loads up and where its going and how much time....

Last edited:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
anybody on here ever run for RjR do u know how often they give u loads over 2700lb i know i have the right to say no they cant legally run me over the gvwr of vehicle but i dont want to sit somewhere either
Wonder if they ever had loads under 2700 lbs ;)

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wonder if they ever had loads under 2700 lbs ;)

They took a PASS on me when i said I will not load over 3000lb ever. thank you to this thread i chose to speak up maybe dont have a job now but I was not gonna be happy..
The guy on the phone actually had to nerve to say "but whos gonna know.. theres still 1500 lb left befoer you have to scale. "

all sprinters must be able to take 3200 lbs at least and transits and promasters 4000. is that ridiculous or what?
No Flipping regard for driver safety or Your Van.. all they care is to load as Much and as heavy as piossible and not pay you any More for it either.

WARning to everybody! maybe they should be reported to safety too.