Sprinter 170" extended 4 x 4 payload capacity

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
im about to buy a 2015 sprinter. apparently with the 4 x 4 and extended length the Gvwr is still 8500 and the payload suffers.
its baffling that it only says 2660 lbs that cant be right the company im gonna haul for asks to handle up to 3000lbs sometimes can the gvwr be changed at the ministry so that i dont get in trouble if i do take over 2600 apparently the suspension is better in the 4 x 4 and my dealership salesperson said he regularly plates these vans at maximum payload just under scale required weight but im not gonna be one of those who will take loads that are far too heavy just to please the carrier and :censoredsign: up my van
i weight 210 lbs myself and down the road want to put in a light sleeper conversion as well

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Replating doesn't change the fact hauling heavy will harm your engine, transmission, rear end and suspension. Did you look at a Transit you can get much heavier payload capacity and not deal with an emissions system Mercedes has yet to figure out.

did i look at a transit?? haha

the transit i had was the best van until at 141,000km in august it started to lose coolant overheated.. cause was egr cooler failed coolant went straight into exhaust.
down 7 weeks no parts . then after 7 weeks put back together. turbocharger was gone. accoridng to CEL.
got 50% goodwill because it was after warranty.
then after 3 hauls not even 2000km rough running.. engine light.. major engine noises
diagnosis 5th cylinder valve sticking. took everything apart again. evidence that something was stuck on valve.. but is no longer there. its been 7 weeks isnce this and they still cant find the timing cover gasket anywhere to put back together!
:censoredsign: the transit and :censoredsign: ford im selling this van privately to some sucker or letting my dad take use for his painting business. do not buy the new transits. from my experience. even if this was a bad apple you will run into parts backorders galore and be out of work for weeks.

sprinters are not perfect but at least they have been around and they will give you a replacement spritner to use for work.. ford is a joke gave me a fiesta car as the cargo vans were limited to 200km a day.

will never buy a ford again .

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have lost 3 months probably 20,000 $ cdn income due to ford and if i had the time of day i would pursue legal action but I figure least i can do is warn everyone on here do not buy it the diesel at least. anybody else close to 150,000km on it beware

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
the 4 x 4 system adds over 300lbs but also has improved suspension.. they told me i could negate those 300lbs without detriment.
i mean sometimes. if the company thinks im reguarly gonna agree to max out my van or have me pick up an extra skid and go over its not happening a lot of the freight is automotive so its heavy and i dont want to wait somehwere 5 days instead of 1 over a couple hundred pounds

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Not familiar with a sprinter 4 x 4 is that 4 wheel drive , if so why would you want to haul the extra weight of that around?

Reactions: neilblack

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not familiar with a sprinter 4 x 4 is that 4 wheel drive , if so why would you want to haul the extra weight of that around?

as ill drive to both laredo and other hot ass places and up as far north as northern alberta.. so winter tires are out of question cuz there is more time spent south then north the 4x4 will be of benefit for snow and weather thats bad and will not be turned on when the roads are clear.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i learnt last winter that all seasons on a rwd are not sufficient.. in that transit nov 12 first snowsquall near whitehall michigan had no traction at all with the all seasons sliding all over the place , had 1700lb of turbine blades in the back too

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
anybody on here ever run for RjR do u know how often they give u loads over 2700lb i know i have the right to say no they cant legally run me over the gvwr of vehicle but i dont want to sit somewhere either

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems to me you don't get a lot of choices. Sprinters have enough trouble with the emissions stuff-- now you're adding 4WD to the picture. That adds weight-- as already mentioned-- and mechanical complexity.

Overloading won't help matters much either. You may get away with it a couple of times, but do it with any regularity and you'll end up replacing one of the most expensive vans money can buy and railing on these boards about how bad Sprinters are.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
anybody on here ever run for RjR do u know how often they give u loads over 2700lb i know i have the right to say no they cant legally run me over the gvwr of vehicle but i dont want to sit somewhere either
I hear they run heavy loads.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems to me you don't get a lot of choices. Sprinters have enough trouble with the emissions stuff-- now you're adding 4WD to the picture. That adds weight-- as already mentioned-- and mechanical complexity.

Overloading won't help matters much either. You may get away with it a couple of times, but do it with any regularity and you'll end up replacing one of the most expensive vans money can buy and railing on these boards about how bad Sprinters are.

im gonna try not to overload by any more than 250 lb max..and only so often i got the extended warranty and dont want to void it and i also have a co-signer on the van . the carrier is gonna have to adjust to me. i got a bonus 7000 off the van as they are one of the ones that the fleet rebate applies too no one else was hiring and they have lots of miles and gross a lot, not that means everything but its work and doesnt have to be forever

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
im about to buy a 2015 sprinter. apparently with the 4 x 4 and extended length the Gvwr is still 8500 and the payload suffers.
its baffling that it only says 2660 lbs that cant be right the company im gonna haul for asks to handle up to 3000lbs sometimes can the gvwr be changed at the ministry so that i dont get in trouble if i do take over 2600 apparently the suspension is better in the 4 x 4 and my dealership salesperson said he regularly plates these vans at maximum payload just under scale required weight but im not gonna be one of those who will take loads that are far too heavy just to please the carrier and **** up my van
i weight 210 lbs myself and down the road want to put in a light sleeper conversion as well
You don't want to exceed your GVW.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i think i was just really unlucky and ran into a bad mechanic too at the Ford dealership.. what hurts most is the lack of parts the repairs are one thing but the downtime is ridiculous and they have the nerve to tell me well we werent expecting you to have 140,000km in 1 year.! Duh u make the transit to compete with Sprinter for fleet 140 is not even much for 1 year .

im hoping for better luck.. my friend has a 2011 sprinter 144 now at 550,000km and has had no issues with emissions or anything yet . and running a lot of local short drives too not all highway.. if there is a Courier god its time for him to smile down upon me finally

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
im gonna try not to overload by any more than 250 lb max..and only so often i got the extended warranty and dont want to void it and i also have a co-signer on the van . the carrier is gonna have to adjust to me. i got a bonus 7000 off the van as they are one of the ones that the fleet rebate applies too no one else was hiring and they have lots of miles and gross a lot, not that means everything but its work and doesnt have to be forever
If you are going with RJR they will not treat you right. They will overload you and put on second drop for $25 and you run the extra miles and weight They just don't care about the drivers. Also keep a real good eye on your settlement because they like to short you.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are going with RJR they will not treat you right. They will overload you and put on second drop for $25 and you run the extra miles and weight They just don't care about the drivers. Also keep a real good eye on your settlement because they like to short you.

if i have 2200 lb on 2 skids and they want me to add another 900 lb skid they can forget it. wont do it. any miles more than 5 off of route they would have to pay extra for to make a second stop u would think.