Sprinter 170" extended 4 x 4 payload capacity

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
info sheet on rjr says must be willing to accept loads up to maximum registered vehicle weight.. if the payload is 2660 then thats it. no more. thats still going over by your weight, clothes, 12 v food accesories, straps n :censoredsign:..
why tho is a larger longer van with improved 4x4 suspension only take 2660 is beyond me almost seems better to get a 144 but they require 3 skids!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That 4X4 is gonna cost you--- I guarantee it.

My old Sprinter--2500 series, longest, tallest made in 2005-- was good for just over 2850 payload--- with a full tank of fuel and me in the drivers seat, with my personal effects on board. That is, in addition to me, the fuel, the personal effects--it could take 2850 in paying cargo. Weighed at a CAT scale in Whitestown, Indiana when I was not carrying any freight. But, it wasn't 4WD. That running hardware--- man, I don't even want to think what that would have cost.

I would half suspect the weight penalty you have is because it is 4WD. They have to take into account that a driver of a 4X4 is likely to take his vehicle into places he shoulda stayed out of, so they adjust the capacity accordingly.

4WD allows you to get stuck in places 2WDs can't even reach------.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
if i have 2200 lb on 2 skids and they want me to add another 900 lb skid they can forget it. wont do it. any miles more than 5 off of route they would have to pay extra for to make a second stop u would think.
For the Life, Health of all the Parts that assemble to build your Vehicle, your Max. weight is it's GVW - 8550.
Totally up to you how much in repairs you want to have on this van, similar to your previous. Your Choice, your decision, your down time in the Shop and Bills. Steady, constant PM's, Preventive Maintenance and at or below theGVW. Longevity and a nice steady income. They're not going to care about your expenses, the life or maintenance of your van, it's Struts, Engine, Brakes. Just trying to help you with the best, correct advice.
Scenario: You get in an accident whether you're at fault or not, the Officer asks what you hauling, wants to look at your BOL, see's 2900 lbs. . He looks at how low the frame of your vehicle is setting, he throws a scale under you, takes a look at your GVW....you couldn't stop in time to avoid that 4 wheeler and you totaled that car, maybe injured a person...he see's you're overweight, load isn't secured. That's another chance you've got to take.
First, you want to totally equip, insulate, heater, air conditioning, 10 gallons of fuel, clothes, aux. battery, water, food, bed, bedding, load straps...all of your personal items and take her over and weigh her on the Scale, no fudging, being in denial, gotta have YOU in it TOO. Don't forget, can never idle it for heat nor air.
The Scale Ticket reads 6100 lbs.. You subtract that from your know GVW of 8550 and you'll then know what your Max. Load Weight can be. Okay, 2450 is the most you can haul legally, safely and mechanically sound. It's easy, it's that simple. Did you run your other Van Overweight? Just trying to help you up front, like the other Drivers here who've been at this game a decade or more...won't ever say....told Ya so Przewinski.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
never ran the other van anywhere close to overweight but ran it empty a lot. it was a manufacturing issue combined with poor workmanship not the way i drove it or loaded it. it was the very first model out there i bought the very first demo of the diesel transit even in canada. heard the warning dont buy first year .. reaped benefits 26 mpg on highway and cheaper maintenance, until all this :censoredsign: happened 20,000km past warranty.

about the spritner.. they cant legally make me run over my weight but im hearing some complaints that other drivers do. i think it comes down to being assertive and standing your ground send me to places that are 3 skids but under 2500 use your transits and promasters or sprinters that have 3000 to those heavy load places.

are u saying without the 4x4 i would be ok to drive with all seasons in both laredo and calgary and all places in between, which includes the rockies. for sure winter tires are a waste.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4X4 may give you confidence so you try to drive when you shouldn't. Everybody who gets one of these 4X4s gets it into their heads that nothing can stop them--- and then find out that this is so when they try to stop in slippery conditions. Or they find out that once you DO get stuck-- it happens to everybody-- you got stuck in a worse spot than you would have with a 2WD. It has a tendency to make drivers overconfident in their vehicle's ability to go in any conditions.

I drive a 2WD Chevy, live in Chicago's suburbs and have occasion more than I care to think about to drive through the Lake Michigan snow-belt on trips to places like Battle Creek, Michigan. I can't imagine 4WD helping much, really.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
never ran the other van anywhere close to overweight but ran it empty a lot. it was a manufacturing issue combined with poor workmanship not the way i drove it or loaded it. it was the very first model out there i bought the very first demo of the diesel transit even in canada. heard the warning dont buy first year .. reaped benefits 26 mpg on highway and cheaper maintenance, until all this **** happened 20,000km past warranty.

about the spritner.. they cant legally make me run over my weight but im hearing some complaints that other drivers do. i think it comes down to being assertive and standing your ground send me to places that are 3 skids but under 2500 use your transits and promasters or sprinters that have 3000 to those heavy load places.

are u saying without the 4x4 i would be ok to drive with all seasons in both laredo and calgary and all places in between, which includes the rockies. for sure winter tires are a waste.
Don't know about Calgary and the Rockies, sorry. Also sorry I don't know about driving the 4x4 vs my Sprinter.
Bolt doesn't/hasn't sent me out West there in my 4 1/2 yrs. of Expediting.
How long have you been driving otr?
This is some of what I have learned...(I'm still learning...and I listen and read)
On my 2011 Ext. 170" WB Sprinter (3 skids) I have only ever used and had no problems with Michelin LT245/75R16 Tires. Under Warrenty good for 70K Miles...I buy mine thru Discount Tire for about 1K every approx. 120K miles. My Tread Depth, my life and the lives of others OTR are my no. 1 concern. LIVES MATTER...SO DOES TREAD DEPTH, whether hydro planing, ice or snow or hard breaking to avoid! (Which should hardly ever happen)
Every 10-11K I have them rotated and balanced for free there which helps me get the most bang for my buck. Once had a leaky tire due to a piece of metal I'd picked up. They replaced that Tire for Free.
I have run as far west as Nebraska, as far south as the Nuclear Power Plant in Homestead, FL. and Laredo, TX numerous times, IA, NY, MD and CT. On black ice, in multiple blizzard conditions, -10 degrees with the wind chill and less at night. The Rockies I have not been to in this Van under load so I can't tell help you there. All I CAN tell you is that I never, ever go over my GVW. I am a former Trucker/Motorcyclist and am all about Safety, Appropriate Speed for the Conditions and my stopping ability when under a Full Load. I want ME, my Bank Account and my income-Making Vehicle Healthy, Sound and last as long as Possible. I know my Monthly Needs for Personal and Living expenses. I live within my means. I research and learn and glean good, helpful info here on EO.
If you ran your first Van empty a lot...then I'm assuming it is the company you were working for who could not adequately, consistently utilize you. Or enough to pay your Bills. WE ALL SIT SOME in Expediting.
It also matters as far as what your financial needs are Monthly, Annually. If it's just you, no Spouse, or spouse working, 3 kids, a mortgage, then yes, your $ needs may be more or less than many of us. I realize every company is different and has different needs and specifications. Most often utilized I bet is who's right smack dab in the middle...."The Straight Truck". I don't like to sit and wait, I'd like a decent amount of sleep and run, sleep and run, etc.. But I have come to realize, after the first couple months of driving another owners Van initially, expediting just isn't a "regular, daily or Preplanned type of hauling, like in my TT". Sure, I hate sitting, waiting. But I accept it and have my Bills and emergency funds in such a way, that I will be ok....averaging my income out over 6-12 months (not monthly becuz they can fluctuate so much!) I scaled all of my expenses down.
I am getting my loads through Bolt. Up front when going thru Orientation, they must have your Scale Ticket. This way they already know NOT TO EXCEED my GVW. They have in front of them the Max amount of weight I can carry. This keeps everything Correct, Safe and within the Law. My vehicle's parts and frame will be just fine with regular maintenance. Hoping for at least 900K!
I know that with proper Michelin Tires with good tread depth, at my Max. GVW on a 25 degree, wintery, heavy snowfall, icy night, at appropriate speeds for the weather conditions, I will navigate the Pennsylvania Turnpike just fine, leaving lotssss of space in front of me!!
Each and every Commercial and non commercial vehicle has a GVW. Your choice, your decision, your vehicle. I'm an old Libra...got that Scales, Balance, black and white annoying thing goin on.

Reactions: Treadmill

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every carrier I've heard of requires a scale ticket when signing on. That subtracted from the GVW is the max you can carry for them. Some guys fudge by having an empty fuel tank, none of their stuff in the van, and standing off the scale. I always had a full tank of fuel minus a few teaspoons to drive from the pump to the scale, everything I thought I'd possibly need on the road and usually a couple of gallons of water extra to give a few pounds extra for stuff I pick up between trips home.

Reactions: vandriver2

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every carrier I've heard of requires a scale ticket when signing on. That subtracted from the GVW is the max you can carry for them. Some guys fudge by having an empty fuel tank, none of their stuff in the van, and standing off the scale. I always had a full tank of fuel minus a few teaspoons to drive from the pump to the scale, everything I thought I'd possibly need on the road and usually a couple of gallons of water extra to give a few pounds extra for stuff I pick up between trips home.

I never did try weighing extra water--- everything else you mention though-- yep. I made sure my carrier knew my capacity, too--- and I'm not inclined to overload. Not worth it, if something breaks I'm the one stuck with the bill.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
the 4x4 only weighs 255 extra. i realize thats the difference in my weight and like 40 pounds lol so its not nothing..
however i got a big rebate on this van and it also will add to resale value
just a matter of giving that proper weight ticket as u guys said and being upfront. when im sitting 4 days in regina and a load comes up 250 lbs over in that case id probably take it but you gotta be careful not to set a precdent for them where they see they can take advantage of you i guess.
can a company legally let u go or shun you on loads because u want go overweight or refuse second loads? im curious.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd hate to be in an accident in an overweight vehicle whether the accident was my fault or not.
Depending on how the load is placed in the van, and whether it's properly secured (come on--- 2,500 lbs and you didn't secure it?) the overload can actually cause the accident. Placed wrong--- easy to do in a vehicle with an overhang like the long Sprinters--- it can cause unstable handling. Unsecured--- you KNOW that load can move and that will affect how you brake. 2,500 lbs coming forward to give you advice on your driving skills just doesn't make your day.

Reactions: ntimevan

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
it can be plated at a higher weight but that does nothing for vehicle structural integrity or operation i understand.
still think i should be able to take 2984 not 2660 the 4 wheel drive suspension is raised and better will talk to mercedes directly about this thats the best bet

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's weird I know but a couple gallons of water is 16 pounds so if I find a gift I want to bring home or just a new pair of boots or driving immediately after lunch :). Whatever I'm covered even if I'm carrying the maximum load the company can place on the van.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It weird I know but a couple gallons of water is 16 pounds so if I find a gift I want to bring home or just a new pair of boots or driving immediately after lunch :). Whatever I'm covered even if I'm carrying the maximum load the company can place on the van.
LDB--- I hadn't thought of that. Howsomever, 25-30 lbs over because you bought a gift for your daughter is unlikely to cause trouble in any event.
Przewinski---- that builder's plate is there for a reason. You might want to pay attention. Going to Mercedes, or even going to your knees and asking God directly, won't change that plate. Trying to get away with overload on a consistent basis--- I expect to hear from you soon about what crappy vans Sprinters are.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
it can be plated at a higher weight but that does nothing for vehicle structural integrity or operation i understand.
still think i should be able to take 2984 not 2660 the 4 wheel drive suspension is raised and better will talk to mercedes directly about this thats the best bet
Ya, just go by the manufacturer's GVW on this vehicle minus ALL that's on your Van when scaled. Then you'll know within 25 lbs. what weight you can haul legally.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, it shouldn't make any difference and to sane people it would not. Given the number of lawyers in the world I didn't want to risk being even a few pounds over in the event of an accident.

Reactions: mjmsprt40

danski0224

New Recruit
Straight out of the 2016 Dealer Order Guide, 2016 MY VII:

4x4, 170" extended, 4x4:

GVWR= 8550 lbs
Maximum Payload= 2,686 lbs (2,994 lbs for 2wd 170" EXT)

im about to buy a 2015 sprinter. apparently with the 4 x 4 and extended length the Gvwr is still 8500 and the payload suffers.
its baffling that it only says 2660 lbs that cant be right the company im gonna haul for asks to handle up to 3000lbs sometimes can the gvwr be changed at the ministry so that i dont get in trouble if i do take over 2600 apparently the suspension is better in the 4 x 4 and my dealership salesperson said he regularly plates these vans at maximum payload just under scale required weight but im not gonna be one of those who will take loads that are far too heavy just to please the carrier and **** up my van
i weight 210 lbs myself and down the road want to put in a light sleeper conversion as well

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Lol my 2007 sprinter was 2wd and I think the only time I got stuck was on a farmers side road....and after 7 years in that van and 2 years my ford cargomax. I think I would go after a gas transit as my next van if the cubes are out soon.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
After fuel, driver and your stuff, sounds like you are way closer to 2k than 3k load capacity.