'See Something,Say Something.'

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Being suspended for 3 days, even after they know it's just a clock, is not extraordinary scrutiny, it's something else entirely.

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Being suspended for 3 days, even after they know it's just a clock, is not extraordinary scrutiny, it's something else entirely.
The authorities involved think that any admission of error, will leave themselves open to civil penalties and or corrective action

jimmy

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, if you look at that picture closely you'll see that it's not a briefcase. Cops don't go to college so I can understand their lack of knowledge of briefs or the cases for them, but the world's largest electrical plug to at the other end of the wire coming out of the case should have given them a clue that it was just what the kid said it was, a pencil case. Secondly, none of the wires are connected to the nowhere-to-be-found blob of C4-looking Play-Dough, so "hoax bomb."

We have always had an outstanding relationship with the Muslim community, Irving Police Department chief Larry Boyd said on Wednesday. Some of my best friends are black people.

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The kid's Engineering teacher, who he showed to, didn't want him to show it to the other teachers. Apparently the teacher had concerns about the appearance of it.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The irony that Obama would invite the boy to the White House and encourage him to continue his academic endeavors in STEM, while at the same time continuing an economic/ immigration policy that is decimating the job outlook and wages for U.S. citizens with a STEM education.:rolleyes:

Is There a STEM Worker Shortage?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You found a Blog post that had that link in it, didn't ya?

The Center for Immigration Studies refers to itself as a non-profit, nonpartisan, independent research organization, while emblazoned on it's pages the slogan "Low Immigration, Pro Immigrant." Right-wing media have long used CIS as their credible go-to organization on immigration issues, using the group's reports to, surprise, surprise, undermine the Obama administration's immigration policies. Be that as it may, the group is known for its ties to white nationalists and is often criticized for its misleading and unsubstantiated studies, because they release study after study aimed at highlighting immigration's negative effects while ignoring any of immigration/s positives in order to further their agenda (that's known as the cherry picking logical fallacy). They've been busted more times that Fox News for just makin' stuff up, and that's a lot. They'd have a report chocked full of data and pretty tables, and the data is fictional. They'll cite a source, and you go look at the source - completely different numbers.

They present themselves as "The nation's only think tank devoted exclusively to research and policy analysis of the economic, social, demographic, fiscal, and other impacts of immigration on the United States."

Everyone else just calls them the The Immigration False-Fact Think Tank.

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
White Nationalists? Oh, my! :eek: Desperate to debunk are you?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
White Nationalists? Oh, my! :eek: Desperate to debunk are you?
Desperate? No. Saddened by the fact that you're still being sucked in by right wingnut Blogs as your source for news? Absolutely. There's nothing really to debunk. It's all right there for anyone to see, all ya gotta do is be paying attention and get yer nose out of the pages of wingnut Blogs.

John Tanton, conceiver and founder of CIS is a well-known activist and leader of the the White Nationalism movement, and has been for several decades, and with close ties to white-supremacist, neo-Nazi and pro-eugenics groups and their leaders. It's all well documented in archives he himself donated to the University of Michigan's Bentley Historical Library. Incidentally, eugenics is the science of controlling or improving a human population by controlled breeding to increase the occurrence of desirable heritable characteristics. It's the same as animal breeders have been doing for centuries, like breeding sheep that produce lots of wool with other sheep that produce lots of wool, and the sheep which produce little wool aren't permitted to reproduce. Cows and milk, same thing. Pigs with no fat, stupidly large chickens, etc. With respect to humans, eugenics is a science that has fallen into disfavor since the perversion of its doctrines by the Nazis. But Nazis and White Supremacists still favor it, though, and Tanton and his associates are among them.

The man has written and said on many occasions that to maintain American values and culture, an English-speaking, European-American majority is required. He's not a big fan of immigration at all, and he'd just as soon close the borders completely, but he is willing to allow, if immigration is really, really a necessary thing, only those from western Europe who are of White-Anglo Saxon descent.

The immigration-restriction think tanks and lobby groups which Tanton has founded and/or funded:
American Immigration Control Foundation - AICF, 1983, funded
American Patrol/Voice of Citizens Together - 1992, funded
California Coalition for Immigration Reform - CCIR, 1994, funded
Californians for Population Stabilization - 1996, funded (founded separately in 1986)
Center for Immigration Studies - CIS, 1985, founded and funded
Federation for American Immigration Reform - FAIR, 1979, founded and funded
NumbersUSA - 1996, founded and funded
Population-Environment Balance - 1973, joined board in 1980
ProEnglish - 1994, founded and funded
ProjectUSA - 1999, funded
The Social Contract Press - 1990, founded and funded
U.S. Inc. - 1982, founded and funded

So keep getting virtual newsprint on your nose from the wingnut Blogs and living in your own soul-satisfied little fantasy world. Just don't for a minute think it's reality. Or worse, use it as a valid support for an argument. You might as well change your name to Kim Davis and become an Immigration Clerk somewhere, refusing to hand out immigration visas to anybody but white people, citing memorized scriptures from the Book of Hotair from the Holy Breitbart.

Reactions: cheri1122

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pathetic of you to think so and totally inaccurate.

You didn't include this:
Tanton also denied the SPLC's accusations. As to his alleged influence at CIS, he wrote, "I also helped raise a grant in 1985 for the Center for Immigration Studies, but I have played no role in the Center's growth or development."[28] Tanton also challenged the SPLC to a public debate at the National Press Club.[29]

Center for Immigration Studies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pathetic of you to think so and totally inaccurate.

You didn't include this:
Tanton also denied the SPLC's accusations. As to his alleged influence at CIS, he wrote, "I also helped raise a grant in 1985 for the Center for Immigration Studies, but I have played no role in the Center's growth or development."
"I did not have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinski."
Oh, well, that settles that. Thanks, Bill.

Tanton also challenged the SPLC to a public debate at the National Press Club.
Which the Southern Poverty Law Center accepted and agreed to be there at any time and date of Tanton's choosing. Tanton has still been unable to find a mutually agreed upon date.

Keep in mind is involvement is documented right there in his own files that he donated to the University of Michigan.

You mean you found that on a blog?
Not specifically, no. I've seen them referred to in that way many times, most recently in a US News and World Report article about immigration.
The Daily Beast apparently calls them that, too.

Instead of feverishly OMG! Googling trying to an opinion somewhere that says Tanton is pure as the driven snow, as well as the Blog from which you got the link to their article, your time would be much better spent learning about the man himself, and doing it using his own words instead of the opinions of someone else.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not specifically, no. I've seen them referred to in that way many times, most recently in a US News and World Report article about immigration.

The Daily Beast apparently calls them that, too.

Instead of feverishly OMG! Googling trying to an opinion somewhere that says Tanton is pure as the driven snow, as well as the Blog from which you got the link to their article, your time would be much better spent learning about the man himself, and doing it using his own words instead of the opinions of someone else.

Yeah, apparently The Daily Beast calls them that too because it appears that is where the phrase originated. The searches just come up with a bunch of blogs, many of them left leaning, referencing the same Daily Beast article and phrase that you used verbatim. So it would appear that you used the verbatim phrase originated in the left leaning Daily Beast just rehashed over and over again in the blogosphere. So the 'everyone else 'that calls (CIS) them' are those blogs and websites that have used the Daily Beast article and their catch phrase.

Turtle wrote: 'Saddened by the fact that you're still being sucked in by right wingnut Blogs as your source for news.'
Yeah, well I'm saddened too that you got sucked in by using the same phrase that the lefty blogs were parroting.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle wrote: 'Saddened by the fact that you're still being sucked in by right wingnut Blogs as your source for news.'
Yeah, well I'm saddened too that you got sucked in by using the same phrase that the lefty blogs were parroting.
Doesn't really matter that the lefty Blogs are parroting the same phrase, as it's true regardless, since CIS is proven to be an organization with an agenda and will twist data, to the point of inventing it, to further their agenda, and therefore are not to be trusted. You dismiss all that and trust them, anyway. That's what you should be saddened by.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cops don't go to college so I can understand their lack of knowledge of briefs or the cases for them,
Some do! Maybe not in Washington, DC, Kentucky and Mississippi. But, many departments require at least an Associate Degree. Some departments require a Bachelor's Degree. The police department my son is with requires a Bachelor's Degree. He has a BS in law enforcement and a BA in Spanish. Comprende?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Doesn't really matter that the lefty Blogs are parroting the same phrase, as it's true regardless, since CIS is proven to be an organization with an agenda and will twist data, to the point of inventing it, to further their agenda, and therefore are not to be trusted. You dismiss all that and trust them, anyway. That's what you should be saddened by.
And you went to the white nativist card. Turtle wrote: You might as well change your name to Kim Davis and become an ImmigrationClerk somewhere, refusing to hand out immigration visas to anybody but white people, citing memorized scriptures from the Book of Hotair from the Holy breitbart.

My concern related to this thread was the effect of too many visas issued and immigrants being used by Tech. Companies as a much cheaper labor option, at the expense of our U.S citizens and possible future tech employees like Ahmed. Many U.S tech graduates aren't employed in their chosen field because of depressed wages and a glut of STEM workers (many of them immigrants on visas) satisfying the job demand. Excessive Immigration has also been detrimental to black youth unemployment which is around 30%. Contributing to havoc in their communities.
So no, your characterization of me is wrong.

If you think that is wrong, we will just have to leave it at that. No sense beating a dead horse again.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cops don't go to college...
Some do! Maybe not in Washington, DC, Kentucky and Mississippi. But, many departments require at least an Associate Degree. Some departments require a Bachelor's Degree. The police department my son is with requires a Bachelor's Degree. He has a BS in law enforcement and a BA in Spanish. Comprende?
The Dallas Police Dept requires at minimum number of college credits for all their applicants without previous experience: Dallas Police Department

And from the NYC Police Dept's graduating class in Dec 2012:

"Over 40 percent of this graduating class are college graduates; 467 have earned their bachelor’s degrees and 47 hold advanced degrees, including three juris doctors."

NYPD Press Release - Police Officer Graduation

Of course these requirements will vary from one location to another.

Reactions: Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know. It was a joke.
It was a joke, because, oddly enough, not all of them require a college degree. You learn a lot of life lessons and a lot of lessons about people when you're on college long enough to get a degree, lessons that I think a lot of cops are lacking.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And you went to the white nativist card. Turtle wrote: You might as well change your name to Kim Davis and become an ImmigrationClerk somewhere, refusing to hand out immigration visas to anybody but white people, citing memorized scriptures from the Book of Hotair from the Holy breitbart.
It's not the nativist card, it's the political humor card. You do have to have a measurable sense of humor to get it, though. Perhaps you should get on Amazon and see if you can find a Humormometer.

My concern related to this thread was the effect of too many visas issued and immigrants being used by Tech. Companies as a much cheaper labor option, at the expense of our U.S citizens and possible future tech employees like Ahmed. Many U.S tech graduates aren't employed in their chosen field because of depressed wages and a glut of STEM workers (many of them immigrants on visas) satisfying the job demand. Excessive Immigration has also been detrimental to black youth unemployment which is around 30%. Contributing to havoc in their communities.
So no, your characterization of me is wrong.
Warms the cockles of my heart to see your concern for all the poor tech grads who aren't working in their chosen field, and especially your concern for the unemployment of our black youth.

If you think that is wrong, we will just have to leave it at that. No sense beating a dead horse again.
It's not wrong, but it's not nearly as big a problem as CIS and other anti-immigration groups make it out to be.

Personally, I think we need to put a lid on all immigration, cease it completely, until we can get a handle on controlling our borders, and then open up immigration solely to those with degrees and skills that match the workforce needs, and of course to refugees. I like the way Canada does it - "What is it about you and your job skills that makes you so special that a Canadian can't do the same job?" (that's a paraphrasing and not an actual quote from the work application - but I had to fill one of those out once, long before expediting)