Panther rates???

paullud

Veteran Expediter
No its Sam,its a very old old expression my grandmother used to say.I haven't heard it be used in years!Just was on my mine on that time.

There is no expression to tell someone to go pound Sam. I believe you misunderstood her or she wasn't saying it correctly, a Google search doesn't bring up matching results

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No its Sam,its a very old old expression my grandmother used to say.I haven't heard it be used in years!Just was on my mine on that time.

I've always heard it as sand for decades.

"The origin of the expression go pound sand is from a longer expression, not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. Filling rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States."*

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=pound sand

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I have always heard 'Go pound Salt"

Origin

The phrase "go pound salt" originated in the early days of commercial salt mine operations in the US. There were a number of specific jobs performed by people who worked in the mine. The lowest paying and most menial job was pounding large rocks into smaller crystals that could be used for cooking and curing of meats. This job was usually given to those deemed less intelligent (the village idiot, if you will) or those who could find no other gainful employment.

The phrase became a popular way of telling someone to "go fly a kite", do something meaningless or menial, or that they were an idiot and needed to go preoccupy themselves with something mundane like crushing rock salt into crystals.

Variation on the Theme

In other parts of the country where salt mines were not common, a variation on the theme came into existence. "Go pound sand" was adopted/ adapted to convey the same meaning and was a shortened form of the phrase "go pound sand down a rat hole." Anyone with a modicum of intelligence and common sense knew that pounding sand down a rat hole was a waste of time, an idiotic waste of time. The rat would quickly dig his way back out and the filled in hole would reappear.

Contrary to popular belief, both of these phrases; "go pound salt" and "go pound sand" are not vulgar. If you find a discussion that implies a vulgar or off color connotation, this likely results from the twisted world we live in!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always heard it as: "Go pound Peter until he pays Paul." I believe Paul was a shylock.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Funny thing is Panther is advertising $1.00+ for vans but I am getting calls from drivers saying they rarely see that.

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
I have been at Panther for 10 years, well in June that will be true and I will run for less then contract rate if it going in a direction I want to go or to a better board or it is really hot or cold. I ran a .70 load for 814miles to canada this past week. A buddy of mind got an offer for .50/mile when he was in Nebraska to Laredo which he declined (fleet driver). The least I have run for is .67 and that one I did 3 times from Upper Sandusky Oh to Canton MS. The lower rated loads come from Nat Logs boards and usually go to the lower contracted rated drivers then the higher rated drivers all complain about being dispatched around. Can not have it both ways guys and Panther has an obligation to get loads covered.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can not have it both ways guys and Panther has an obligation to get loads covered.
Panther also has an obligation to their partners, their Panther Partners. If we as owner/operators are truly business partners in the Cat's eyes, shouldn't they be looking out for our interests also? Does Panther have an obligation to bid on loads that only pay a van .67/mile, just to get loads covered?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
There's always a yellow penske truck around.....

I had to do a transfer load the other day and was met by a guy in a 12' penske truck who was going to take the load to canada, this was a 5k load that was shoved into a 12' van/box truck that couldn't have had a gwv of more than 10k , had a sleeper area built into it, giving it a payload of I'd estimate less than 2k, what a situation that was, and this driver didn't seem to give a crap about it.

The other issue I had was getting within 8ft of him, the stench of body odor and sweat, was so awful and offensive, I almost offered up an extra shower I had, but I figured with his high rate he could afford his own! Got him loaded, and I went to take a shower myself just to get the dirty air off my skin!

YUKKY

tk

guido4475

Not a Member
I had to do a transfer load the other day and was met by a guy in a 12' penske truck who was going to take the load to canada, this was a 5k load that was shoved into a 12' van/box truck that couldn't have had a gwv of more than 10k , had a sleeper area built into it, giving it a payload of I'd estimate less than 2k, what a situation that was, and this driver didn't seem to give a crap about it.

The other issue I had was getting within 8ft of him, the stench of body odor and sweat, was so awful and offensive, I almost offered up an extra shower I had, but I figured with his high rate he could afford his own! Got him loaded, and I went to take a shower myself just to get the dirty air off my skin!

YUKKY

tk

A perfect example of how the quality of the common expedite driver and his equipment will only deteriorate as rates fall and time goes on. So sad, but true.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Blizzard...Guido...Good responses....so the question remains...what can REALISTICALLY be done about it?....
Leave it on the dock...you go broke right now
Run it....you go broke later....but have hope things will change, but is you run it now why would it change, you still lose....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does that affect driver from showering???

I agree ... yukky yuk !

if you are not running ya can't get shower credits...BUT 1 could hop on the Ohio TP and for the cost of 1 interchange get a "Free" shower...
OR hang around machine and beg for that extra shower credit...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would appear John E is the only company executive that believes the customer should pay a fair price....BUT he can't keep this up forever....none of the other carriers support this way to do business...