Need to find a post by Turtle-

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Danny, did you buy a Sprinter or win one in a poker game?

At the stakes I play for I'm playing for petro for these trucks. I had a doozy of a game today though. Won the tourney. Had my AA beat by KK, which crippled me. Left me w/ about $500 with blinds being 100/200. Got a pair of 10's & they held up against 3 people (pair of 9s, AK & KQ, so lots of cards that can beat me) so now I've got $2000.

Had a QQ & raised preflop. Someone else re-raised & then someone else reraised again. I folded those puppies & thank god I did, that was an AA vs AK showdown that I would have lost.

In the final 2 I had A/10 & went all in preflop. Guy was waiting for me w/ QQ. I got lucky & spiked the ace on him though. To me that was justice. He had ran me down 3 times earlier in the game.

All that excitement didn't even win me enough to fill up a tank of gas, but it sure was fun.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Stick to The List and "think like a European" pretty much sums it up. Take all the stuff you think you know about maintaining a cargo van and toss it out the back door, and learn how to maintain a European vehicle with a European mentality.

Then there's always this instant classic. :D

This was a good article too. In my defense I'll say that I had all work done at the dealership & I still had all sorts of problems. I delivered locally so I was never out somewhere & overshot the service schedule. I knew I had a $40,000 vehicle & did my best to maintain it. It didn't do me any good.

I'm also recalling that in addition to going to the dealership, I WAITED at the dealership for a long time. Oil changes would be a 2-3 hour wait because only certain mechanics could do them & there'd be vehicles in front of me. That was downtime that also cost $$.

So yea, for me Sprinters didn't work. I can see where for a select few they would. I'm definately not challenging your purchase of one because it's obviously worked out so well for ya. So for a select few I'd say go for it on the Sprinter. Most people should prolly stick to Ford or GM though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I found out early on that there were good Sprinter dealers and bad Sprinter dealers. Just because they were a Sprinter dealer didn't mean the Sprinter tech was all that into properly diagnosing and repairing Sprinters. That goes for both Dodge and Freightliner Sprinter dealers. Some good, some not so much.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Danny,
Now you know the frustration of newbies when they are told to search for something.

I have two threads I still can't find after hours of searching. I gave up and now just copy the entire thread to an EO folder on the computer if it is important so it can be read offline.

I agree. That's why I never tell new people to search for something. That's prolly the most annoying comment I see on here, & they're not even directed at me. I'm also prepared to be TOLD to search when I ask something, so I try to make sure people know I HAVE searched & can't find it. I felt like I was looking for a needle in a haystack. Chris came thru like a champ & I appreciate it.

Also, when someone asks something, the search might be dated. If you ask about a company for instance. Maybe they were great (or terrible) in the past & things have changed. The shower plans might have changed. Fuel programs, just a lot of things can change & if someone searches & finds a post from 2008, it might not be valid in 2011.

Finally, it seems like it takes about the same time to A the Q as it does to type in "use the search feature." So I might as well A if I know it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This was a good article too. In my defense I'll say that I had all work done at the dealership & I still had all sorts of problems. I delivered locally so I was never out somewhere & overshot the service schedule. I knew I had a $40,000 vehicle & did my best to maintain it. It didn't do me any good.

I'm also recalling that in addition to going to the dealership, I WAITED at the dealership for a long time. Oil changes would be a 2-3 hour wait because only certain mechanics could do them & there'd be vehicles in front of me. That was downtime that also cost $$.

So yea, for me Sprinters didn't work. I can see where for a select few they would. I'm definately not challenging your purchase of one because it's obviously worked out so well for ya. So for a select few I'd say go for it on the Sprinter. Most people should prolly stick to Ford or GM though.

The learning curve always take a turn thru the wallet....thankfully too...there are about a group of 6 of us members here at EO, that keep in contact about the sprinter and our issues..we discuss dealers, where the good or bad dealerships are....

guido4475

Not a Member
Okay, stupid question of the day...These sprinters have wore the badge of Dogge,Mercedes, and Freightliner.With that being said, who really makes it?Are they all the same?

I would seem to think the best model year Sprinter to get is the one with the inline 5-cyl engine, which is now beginning to show up for sale on Ryder's website with low miles of 38-56k, for around $20,000 to $26,000.After hearing on how Ken's runs so smooth and quiet after all those miles,I think This one is the way to go.

There is a video on You Tube showing a Ford E-350 with a 7.3 diesel in it with 1.4 million miles, all original-Engine, trans, and rears..I thought that was pretty impressive.For an American slop bucket...lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, stupid question of the day...These sprinters have wore the badge of Dogge,Mercedes, and Freightliner.With that being said, who really makes it?Are they all the same?

I would seem to think the best model year Sprinter to get is the one with the inline 5-cyl engine, which is now beginning to show up for sale on Ryder's website with low miles of 38-56k, for around $20,000 to $26,000.After hearing on how Ken's runs so smooth and quiet after all those miles,I think This one is the way to go.

There is a video on You Tube showing a Ford E-350 with a 7.3 diesel in it with 1.4 million miles, all original-Engine, trans, and rears..I thought that was pretty impressive.For an American slop bucket...lol

While the 7.3 is a proven engine..it is a monster and takes your weight hauling ops away from you...

guido4475

Not a Member
you going to do that...I would seriously consider them Ryder Sprinters....

The biggest thing that would worry me about those is if the proper fluids were used in the maintenance, as well as time intervals.I wouldnt want to spend that kind of money and pay the price eventually for someone else's mistakes.What if they treated it as if it were an American vehicle?Eventually the problems would start to surface because of that, right?

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido has that printed on the back of his pants....*LOL*

After eating at the old Petro in Ga, on 85,North of Atlanta the night before last, which is now a Flying J-/Patriot restaurant,you are absolutely right!!! Even Ammodium A-D couldnt stop the flow...Never eat there again..All night long...every 2 hours..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The biggest thing that would worry me about those is if the proper fluids were used in the maintenance, as well as time intervals.I wouldnt want to spend that kind of money and pay the price eventually for someone else's mistakes.What if they treated it as if it were an American vehicle?Eventually the problems would start to surface because of that, right?

What time intervals? we've discussed this on the phone...the darned thing at that mileage isn't even due for it's first tranny service....at best it has had about 5-6 oil changes...no real time to do any significant damage

What kind of money? you'll pay more for a new gasser...

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
What time intervals? we've discussed this on the phone...the darned thing at that mileage isn't even due for it's first tranny service....at best it has had about 5-6 oil changes...no real time to do any significant damage

What kind of money? you'll pay more for a new gasser...

I forgot to remember that....my bad..

guido4475

Not a Member
Get the frickin sprinter...gee whiz.....no man should be his knees putting his pants on...looks kinda kinky...

I always thought kinky was a good thing..lol:eek:

Every time I am in Indy I go to Stoops and look at those Sprinters, how big and roomy they are..yes, I'd like to have one, but I know there is a weight issue with the new ones as well.And then there is the payment...I figure I could have 12 ft of cargo space, and close to 4 ft of sleeper...It could work.I just wish they would have a 1 ton srw Sprinter,Like a Ford.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
instead of thinking and listening to your big diesel anti sprinter buddies...think me, think Turtle, think Steady Eddie..the list goes on....with your ability....and mech knowledge....just DO IT...

guido4475

Not a Member
instead of thinking and listening to your big diesel anti sprinter buddies...think me, think Turtle, think Steady Eddie..the list goes on....with your ability....and mech knowledge....just DO IT...

It takes credit to get one of those thingys..not ready/able to yet..