Need to find a post by Turtle-

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Hi,

I'm looking for a post by Turtle where he explains the proper way to maintain a Sprinter. I thought it was in one of the sticky's somewhere, but maybe not. I have searched. WOW have I searched. No luck so I'm now just going to ask if someone else might know what I'm referring too.

I recall something about where he explains that "you have to care for a Sprinter as a Sprinter, not as a GM or Ford." Words to that effect where in there. It was a pretty thorough post.

Thanx in advance,
Danny

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Turtle's main message is to stick to "the list" when it comes to fluids. For example, the coolant is very expensive, but if go cheap it's gonna cost you in the long run.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Highway is right...Turtle is a stickler for following the factory maintainance schedule and using only the "spec" products....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does one measure premature failure of parts, gaskets and seals...and then the downtime, when comparing to the cost of the "List" of fluids?

With almost 600k and almost flawless performance other then normal wear parts....the extra expense is rewarded with minimal unplanned failures...and the plus is....for the carrier is your reputation that your equipment will go the distance...and that could be the deciding factor on whether you get that important long haul....

If you want to cheap out and cut corners, stick with an American slop bucket...it'll serve you well...

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
How does one measure premature failure of parts, gaskets and seals...and then the downtime, when comparing to the cost of the "List" of fluids?

With almost 600k and almost flawless performance other then normal wear parts....the extra expense is rewarded with minimal unplanned failures...and the plus is....for the carrier is your reputation that your equipment will go the distance...and that could be the deciding factor on whether you get that important long haul....

If you want to cheap out and cut corners, stick with an American slop bucket...it'll serve you well...

600K and your in a sprinter if I remember right? Thats pretty good if you ask me. Mind me asking if it was bought new or used? You ever had anything tear up besides normal wear parts for example an ac compressor? Besides, you must be doing something right. Congrats.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM, you keep saying that your sprinter is doing great, but if it ever comes to the forum and reads what you say about it, it may decide to take a vacation on you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Danny,
Now you know the frustration of newbies when they are told to search for something.

I have two threads I still can't find after hours of searching. I gave up and now just copy the entire thread to an EO folder on the computer if it is important so it can be read offline.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
And just so ya know the reason I wanted that post. Basically the Ford/GM High Capacity Van looked great. I have a lil Carpet Cleaning business too. I go to a carpet cleaning site also.

Over on that site sometimes people talk about getting new vehicles. I'm generally anti-Sprinter w/ my comments. That HCV though, looks like a winner in my book. I posted the link for it & told people the comparisons to the Sprinter were pretty accurate IMO.

Some people like their Sprinters of course. They might say they've had it 2 years or whatever w/ no problems. But they're not putting on the miles that the people in this industry are.

Anyway, basically I wanted people who already have one to make sure they maintain it as well as they can. While I've never met most of em, I do consider em to be my friends. So I posted Turtles post over there.

I did give full credit to Turtle. My exact words before my post (which is actually his post on here) over there was:

This is a post from someone in the freight industry who likes his Sprinter. If you already have one, this can be very helpful to you to keep it maintained. It's from a poster named Turtle on Expediters Online. This guy knows quite a bit about vehicles. Following this advice closely can/will save you thousands over the lifetime of your vehicle.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Chris, you're my hero!! How'd you find that so quick? I had typed in 1001 different search terms (various combinations of "Turtle" "Sprinter" "Maintaining" etc) for like a half hour to 45 minutes. Finally I just came on here & asked.

I done a search by turtles name and searched the posts he had made. Was like on page 5

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Stick to The List and "think like a European" pretty much sums it up. Take all the stuff you think you know about maintaining a cargo van and toss it out the back door, and learn how to maintain a European vehicle with a European mentality.

Then there's always this instant classic. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya, what da heck dos Chris up dare in Roseau tink bout dem dare Yerman machines, hey!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
600K and your in a sprinter if I remember right? Thats pretty good if you ask me. Mind me asking if it was bought new or used? You ever had anything tear up besides normal wear parts for example an ac compressor? Besides, you must be doing something right. Congrats.

Nothing that I am aware of.....even have the original EGR and drive shaft/hanger bearings....same fuel injectors as well and turbo....no seals or oil leaks either....original rad and cooling system...

something right? yeah..I follow the "LIST"

Never have changed any wheel bearings either...

Bought it new...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, you keep saying that your sprinter is doing great, but if it ever comes to the forum and reads what you say about it, it may decide to take a vacation on you.

Greg..I am approaching 1 million kilometers in Canadian lingo or even German speak....uncharted territory now I think....

I have no illusions nor fantasies that it won't quit at any moment.....

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Nothing that I am aware of.....even have the original EGR and drive shaft/hanger bearings....same fuel injectors as well and turbo....no seals or oil leaks either....original rad and cooling system...

something right? yeah..I follow the "LIST"

Never have changed any wheel bearings either...

Bought it new...

Good deal man. Just goes to show a sprinter can be reliable if you follow the manual. But buying new and following the manual I would expect you could get over 900k miles :eek: