Need Help Finding Straps to Buy

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil: They DO have them at Home Depot and Harbor Freight. I wouldn't spend anymore time looking elsewhere.

We're in Eloy now. Will check Home Depot and Harbor freight when we go through Phoenix tomorrow.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
SOooo..., once you deliver this one time Special handling freight...please, don't carry it in your truck for another 9 years for a 'just incase' improved load opportunity' kind of a deal.
just sell it to another flatbed trucker for half price.
if you can't find a half price trucker, you know where to find me, I'll put them straps to work.

You are correct. We would not be buying these straps at all if not for a specific customer request, but the load money is right so buying them is the thing to do if we want the load. And there is the chance that the straps will be remembered by the customer and agent such that we may be called again (optimistic thinking). I'll worry about what to do with them later. The first task is to find and buy them.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
4" would not be for home/consumer use.
After the load I'd be curious to know what would go into a C that would need that kind of securement.
In very general terms of course.
We recently hauled an object with 12 straps that was not allowed to touch the wall or any bars.
We carry about 50% more securement eqipment than required.
We've had some pretty happy customers.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well, Doh'a, it's J hooks...It's Halloween week, they picking up in Hollywood, ...
they are transporting a movie monster! that's what required an 80,000 pound tie downs .
Why, how secured your wife will be up front in the cab with a Jewish Werewolf in the back box ?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
4" would not be for home/consumer use.
After the load I'd be curious to know what would go into a C that would need that kind of securement.
In very general terms of course.
We recently hauled an object with 12 straps that was not allowed to touch the wall or any bars.
We carry about 50% more securement eqipment than required.
We've had some pretty happy customers.

The item is not something that requires securement that would be out of the ordinary for any expediter to secure with standard equipment. I have talked directly to the shipper about this unusual request. The request is coming from the people he is shipping the item to. He was very clear about what he was asking for and understands exactly that these four-inch straps are overkill by an order of magnitude, but overkill is exactly what the consignee wants.

My sense is that something bad happened on a previous shipment with a different carrier, and that is driving the intentional overkill.

As a seasoned expediter once told Diane and me before we entered the business, "Don't ask questions. Just haul the freight."

Back when I worked as an auto mechanic, a sweet old woman came in to buy four new tires for her car. With my boss watching, I put her car up on the hoist, showed her the tread depth of her present tires and the tread depth of a brand new tire, and explained that she did not need new tires. In fact, at the number of miles this regular and long-time customer drove in a year, she might not need new tires for the life of the car.

She agreed and then told me to sell her four new tires. I looked at my boss, and he gave me the nod to do so. I did, and she left happy as a clam. My boss then told me that she buys new tires every year and never needs them. He had the same conversation I did with her years ago and he went so far as to refuse to sell her the tires, hoping she would come around to his view. She instead drove down the street and bought new tires there.

I believe this is a similar case. It's not about what the customer needs, it's about what the customer wants. My shipper might lose this piece of business if the product is not shipped as the consignee requires. Diane and I WILL lose this load if we do not provide the requested straps.

Accordingly, we are continuing our search. Success is already assured (dare I hope?). If nothing else, we will do as 21cExp suggests and have the straps shipped overnight to our shipper.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Home D/Harbor freight does not carry 4 inch straps. Some carry 3".

Checking Harbor Freight and Home Depot web sites, I am finding the same thing. These companies do not have four-inch straps in their online inventory. Telephone calls to their Phoenix stores confirm this.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is sweet (not). Continuing my search online, Google takes me to this very thread. Lawrence might appreciate the speed at which the search engine picks up EO threads, but I am still without my straps.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Amazon lead just dried up. They have the straps we need but only standard shipping (3-5 days) is available on this item. We need to have the straps in hand by Monday.

Last edited:

AdisGT

Active Expediter
Hello there buddy, you can purchase those straps in most trailer stores such as Utility,Stoughton, if you need me to help you locate one that has them near you let me know

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Phil, It appears Ryder sells them online. Perhaps they sell them at the service centers.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Hello there buddy, you can purchase those straps in most trailer stores such as Utility,Stoughton, if you need me to help you locate one that has them near you let me know

I called the Utility trailer store in Tucson earlier today. They have four-inch straps with chain-hook ends but not with J-hook ends. If these trailer stores are open on weekends it is only part of Saturday. We will be in Ontario, CA on Monday. I looked at the Utility store web site and did not find the straps listed there (four-inch, J-hook ends). Any additional help you can provide will be appreciated.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thanks for the help, Ragman. You are running into the same thing we are. That strap has a flat-hook end and is more commonly found. We need the J-hook end. See photo in my original post.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Amazon lead just dried up. They have the straps we need but only standard shipping (3-5 days) is available on this item. We need to have the straps in hand by Monday.

There is a niche market of the transportation industry called expedite. Expedite carriers provide emergency, door to door, exclusive use surface and air transportation. I'm sure one of these expediter types could get you your straps by Monday, for a price!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe he'll find them in Fontana/LA area but I'm sure he'd feel better if he had it wrapped up sooner.
Definitely flatbed or industrial equipment supplier.
I'd probably work the yellow pages and have a list of phone numbers ready for 8 am Monday. Or maybe check Kinnedyne(sp ?) for stocking distributors.
Moose,or other open deck haulers... Who uses the wire hooks in lieu of flat hooks ?
Maybe hay haulers as the wire hooks are compatible with ropes ? The piers to mate with D-Rings ?
Finding the market will help find those marketing to them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is a niche market of the transportation industry called expedite. Expedite carriers provide emergency, door to door, exclusive use surface and air transportation. I'm sure one of these expediter types could get you your straps by Monday, for a price!

Expediting looks a bit different when the shoe is on the other foot, doesn't it?