Need Help Finding Straps to Buy

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The Amazon lead just dried up. They have the straps we need but only standard shipping (3-5 days) is available on this item. We need to have the straps in hand by Monday.

Perhaps the company that offers them thru Amazon: Discount Ramps http://www.discountramps.com/ can help.

Their toll free# is: 888-651-3431
They're out of Wisconsin, evidently, though may know where to steer you. You're fighting the closed on Sunday, no shipping on Sunday blues now.

Wish I could be of more help for ya.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Truckntow has them in their cat at $63.99 each. They have multiple shipping points,so they may have a warehouse out west.
Good people,I used to order my car haul stuff through them.
888-918-8150

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
U S cargo who is an advertiser on EO has them listed. He opens monday at 7:00 central time. He has always been good to work with. I realize their in Iowa but he may have some contacts where your going. I would explain the situation to them and see if they can help. Maybe Lawrence knows how to reach them after hours? I wish you luck! It's too bad you didn't have a couple of weekdays to get the straps you need. You could have them expedited same day to your pickup if its a reasonable distance. Hire a cheap rate cargo van.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
With all the repair facilities in and around Ontario and Fontana there should be some place close by that has those straps in stock. A shout-out on the CB should get you close.

But, sheesh, what will you be hauling in that little box of yours that you need eight, four-inch wide, J-hook-end ratchet straps? A sedated-but-might-wake-up-angry Bruce Banner?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With all the repair facilities in and around Ontario and Fontana there should be some place close by that has those straps in stock. A shout-out on the CB should get you close.

But, sheesh, what will you be hauling in that little box of yours that you need eight, four-inch wide, J-hook-end ratchet straps? A sedated-but-might-wake-up-angry Bruce Banner?

I'm thinking the same thing about Fontana and Ontario, a target-rich environment for such vendors if there ever was one. We are heading toward Ontario today. We will have a list of business and phone numbers prepared and start working the phones first thing Monday morning.

With help received from others in this thread, it seems that the internet has been fully explored. We'll check truck stops on the way to Ontario but I am not hopeful. Truck stops so far have not had them.

I have been asking flatbedders about where to find such straps. They all have their favorite outlet but they are in other states and the straps are sold over the counter on weekdays. I have yet to see a flatbed with four-inch J-hook straps in use. The two-inch variety is common.

Regarding the item that needs four-inch straps to secure it. It does not need them. It is only because of a consignee directive that we are on this hunt. See post 26.

If not for the weekend, we might be able to do learn more about that directive. It may be that the consignee does not understand what is being asked for, or it may be that the shipper and consignee belive the straps can be easily found. Actually, they can be easily found. It's the quickly part that gets tricky over a weekend.

I'll be glad to have these straps in the future. If we ever get dispatched into a hurricane, I can use them to tie the truck to a big tree.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
What price came into your head when you first thought of having to obtain these straps ?

Carrying them for future use will lower your available payload.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Maybe buy the 4" flat hook ones and the 2" J hook and have them re stitched at a canvas shop.

That would work. It would also work to have the straps custom made at shops that do that kind of work. The problem is the same for both options; time. We need them by Monday so we can arrive with them at the shipper on Tuesday.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What price came into your head when you first thought of having to obtain these straps ?

Carrying them for future use will lower your available payload.

A quick, initial internet search led me to believe that the straps would range in price from $30 to $50 each, plus shipping and tax as applicable. They weigh 17 lbs. each, which totals 136 lbs. for eight of them. That does not create a payload issue on our truck. Weight-wise, we have plenty of payload to spare. Space-wise, we have room to store them without sacrificing cargo space.

I joked above about keeping them. I don't know what we will do with them later. It may well be that we serve this shipper again, in which case it will be wise to keep them. Otherwise, I can sell them to flatbedders easy enough.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You could have them expedited same day to your pickup if its a reasonable distance. Hire a cheap rate cargo van.

If that need arose, we have Monday to work with, a team in this truck, and freshly reset log books. We'd go get the straps ourselves.

Besides, finding a cargo van that runs cheap would be more difficult than finding the straps we are after. Everyone knows how protective van drivers are of their profit margins. They lie in wait, sometimes for days at a time, ready to pounce on people like me who have emergency transport needs, and then they laugh all the way to the bank.

Oh to be a van driver! My problems would be over.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if that Moot expediter has an upcharge for breaking and entering.

Of course I do, hence the term "accessorial charges". The breaking and entering surcharge is included in my Latex Glove Service, I guarantee not to leave any messy or incriminating fingerprints behind.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I'm thinking the consignee came up with 4" straps and j-hooks because they saw them once and figure their freight won't move at all if those are used, not knowing or understanding that there may be several other securement alternatives that work equally well. I've had a few loads where specific types of securements were requested, but in every case what they really meant was "properly secured" and not necessarily secured in a specific manner. The requests were in every case a reaction to a driver previously not having the ability to properly secure the freight.

Once, for example, "E-track ratchet tie-downs only" were requested. They made such a request because they recently had an expedite cargo van show up with no tie-down securements of any kind, not even a bungy cord or two, and during the shipment some of the delicate electronic components that were shipped were damaged when the freight shifted. They knew big trucks had E-track, and that worked, so that's what they requested, even though L-track or D-ring securements would have worked just as well.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I've been down with a toothache so I didn't see this post until now...We have 10 in the truck we're not using! Could have shipped them to you, we got them from a company we delivered at for free and just haven't had a chance to go home and put them in storage. I really need to check in more often!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I've been down with a toothache so I didn't see this post until now...We have 10 in the truck we're not using! Could have shipped them to you, we got them from a company we delivered at for free and just haven't had a chance to go home and put them in storage. I really need to check in more often!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

Maybe you still can. I sent you a private message.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Another sourse your overlooking is RIGGING SUPPLY STORES, such as a Block, Tackle, Rope and Rigging supplier, Marcal Rope and Rigging is who I use but they are a St Louis based supplier, you might call them and ask for a fellow company, ask for Mike, hes a great resource, I have 4 of these straps, they arent cheap but they will sure hold some heavy materials etc, I used to use mine for steel coils etc....ROPE, RIGGING CONTRACTORS AND SUPPLIERS...

BC Wire Rope & Rigging

ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA
2720 E. Regal Park Dr.
Anaheim, CA 92806
Tel: 800-669-5919
Fax: 714-666-8200
View Map
[email protected]

SANTEE, (SAN DIEGO), CALIFORNIA
10580 Prospect Avenue, Suite 102
Santee, CA 92071
Tel: 877-229-4731
Fax: 619-270-2035
View Map
[email protected]

ARIZONA
4060 E. Michigan St.
Tucson, AZ 85714
Tel: 800-654-5945
Fax: 520-750-9296
View Map
[email protected]

NEVADA
7491 Eastgate Road
Henderson, NV 89015
Tel: 800-626-5543
Fax: 702-566-8698
View Map
[email protected]

ALSO here is Marcals contact info...

Marcal | Home

http://www.marcalrigging.com/include/contact.jpg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another sourse your overlooking is RIGGING SUPPLY STORES
Thank you, pearlpro. I checked these web sites. BC Wire Rope & Rigging is in the Los Angeles area but its web site does not list the straps with J hooks; flat hooks yes, J hooks no.

I now have several online options for ordering the straps but time is short. If we cannot find the straps in or around Ontario, CA on Monday, we may have them shipped to us overnight, probably to the shipper's address if I can get that cleared. Pick up is on Tuesday.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Situation resolved!

Now that people are back at work this Monday morning, calls were made. Our dispatching agent advises that the shipper was confused and the cargo control equipment we have on our truck is sufficient.

Special thanks for the help and good humor offered by: billg27, zorry, BobWolf, daveKC, 21cExp, skyraider, LDB, Turtle, Jumbuck, purgoose10, briggie1, moose, AdisGT, Ragman, Moot, cranis, kwexpress, jaminjim, pandora2112, pearlpro, and those who responded privately. This is another fine example of expediters helping expediters. It's great to be part of the supportive, online community that EO is.