Mitt Romney

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally i think giving to a church is charity. That's just my heartfelt opinion nothing more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Agree. Because he gave to his church it is somehow viewed as not actually a charity?:rolleyes: I mean that money could be used to fund missions to help people, buy food and clothes for the needy. etc.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was hoping this was going to be, you know, "some facts about Romney that we won't get from the mainstream media but ought to get from his campaign or the RNC," but instead is nothing more than an opinion piece about why "Romney good, Obama bad", and frankly sounds like it was created by the Romney campaign. Whoever wrote this couldn't even make it out of the first paragraph before betraying the Topic Sentence of the piece. Wow.

It should also be noted that the "with regard to charity" section above, it's way off the mark. Romney in 2011 gave $4.1 million not to "charity", but to the Mormon Church. He gave $2.9 million to actual charities. It's a total of $7 million in charitable deductions. His tax bill was $3.2 million, or about 15.4 percent of his income.

As as hard as Romney works at his jobs, according to the piece above, none of his 2010 ($21.7 million) or 2011 ($20.9 million) income was from wages. It was all from capital gains from a profusion of investments, as well as stock dividends and interest payments.

One other note, the "Unpaid bishop and state president for his church 10 years" is an incorrect and misleading statement, made either out of ignorance, or purposely to deceive. I'm betting on the former. He was a stake president, not a state president. There's a world of difference, particularly because LDS doesn't have a 'state' presidential position in the church. A "stake" is an entity similar to a Catholic diocese, but different. He was president of the Boston area stake for almost 8 years, not 10. Also, the phrase "unpaid bishop" in the context of the other statements implies others were paid and he refused to accept any pay. LDS bishops are all unpaid positions.
Bishops and stake presidents are hardly full-time jobs, which is why they are unpaid, volunteer positions.

The "over 28 years total of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church" is supposed to sound impressive, and it is on many levels, but when you've got Oprah money, it's really not.

If one has Oprah money. One doesn't have to do diddly squat for the rest of one's entire life. Instead to he chose to try to make a difference.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If one has Oprah money. One doesn't have to do diddly squat for the rest of one's entire life. Instead to he chose to try to make a difference.

It is easy to ridicule. People of faith are often subjected to it. The 'if they TRULY believed they would give it all' crowd is LOUD. I wonder how much of that crowd does ANYTHING other than complain and tell others how much they should do? This has NOTHING to do with Romney's politics or fitness for the office.

I don't like Romney, BUT, compared to Obama he shows the difference between an experienced man and a spoiled little boy. Romney has DONE things, Obama was elected with the experience of a hamburger flipper in high school.

I still won't vote for either.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agree. Because he gave to his church it is somehow viewed as not actually a charity?:rolleyes: I mean that money could be used to fund missions to help people, buy food and clothes for the needy. etc.
Because the 10% tithing is NOT charity...but his duty and responsibility to his religion...besides the bible says tithing is necessary.....so they tell me....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because the 10% tithing is NOT charity...but his duty and responsibility to his religion...besides the bible says tithing is necessary.....so they tell me....

But as far as i know it is still voluntary.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Correct. Not a charity. Churches, most of them, anyway, do charitable work, but that's not their main purpose.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Charity is not the primary purpose of most religions. Charity is, however, a basic tenet of most major religions. the worship of wealth is considered a sin in many. Wealth in itself is not bad.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Hes such a smart guy he doesnt know what to call a DOUGHNUT, and comparing Mitts Worth to Baracks worth is RIDICULOUS, The difference is one wants to give TO THE PEOPLE...the other wants to TAKE FROM THE PEOPLE....so Baracks Grades are secret, why are MITTS TAX RETURNS SECRET...maybe because he has enough money to HIDE in the Grand Caymans , I doubt if Barack EVER had or will have that much money

We dont elect a President anyway, hes a Figure head to a corrupt Govt process bought and paid for by Corporations....Lobbys run America.....Republicans and Democrats are both poor examples of the Nations Best...

and On and On and On....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no law that requires one to release their tax returns. There is also no law that requires one to release their GPA. On the other hand, who in there right mind would hire anyone who CLAIMED to have multiple college degrees and not check them out? Obama claimed multiple degrees and STILL refuses to release that information. He must have something to hide. Tax returns are private, not a requirement for employment.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But as far as i know it is still voluntary.

When I was indoctrined into the Mormon church....I was told it was so....highly pressured to do so...
I told them I could not afford the 10%....they quoted some mumble jumble about that God would provide for those that gave the tithing...it was a show of faith...to trust in the Lord.....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was indoctrined into the Mormon church....I was told it was so....highly pressured to do so...
I told them I could not afford the 10%....they quoted some mumble jumble about that God would provide for those that gave the tithing...it was a show of faith...to trust in the Lord.....

Sounds surprisingly similar to non forced dispatch.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds surprisingly similar to non forced dispatch.

Funny guy....:)

But really I found the Mormons a very controlling bunch....always watching what you were doing...their missionaries dropping in for a free meal on the guise of just in the area....you could see them looking around the house, they would always offer "guidance"....they are also very sexist...the men after service go to Bible class to learn the Book to become ministers, and the women went to the auxillary to learn cooking and quilting classes...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny guy....:)

But really I found the Mormons a very controlling bunch....always watching what you were doing...their missionaries dropping in for a free meal on the guise of just in the area....you could see them looking around the house, they would always offer "guidance"....they are also very sexist...the men after service go to Bible class to learn the Book to become ministers, and the women went to the auxillary to learn cooking and quilting classes...

Never had a Moran on mission even hint at eating or asking to even step inside. I have met many and to a man they were good people.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never had a Moran on mission even hint at eating or asking to even step inside. I have met many and to a man they were good people.

gee whiz.....voice to text?.....

when you are member of the church, you are supposed to feed the missionaries...it is in their teachings....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
the men after service go to Bible class to learn the Book to become ministers, and the women went to the auxillary to learn cooking and quilting classes...

Sounds like the way things should be.

p020_1_03.png
<------ Ragman running from his wife.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was hoping this was going to be, you know, "some facts about Romney that we won't get from the mainstream media but ought to get from his campaign or the RNC," but instead is nothing more than an opinion piece about why "Romney good, Obama bad", and frankly sounds like it was created by the Romney campaign. Whoever wrote this couldn't even make it out of the first paragraph before betraying the Topic Sentence of the piece. Wow.
I suppose I should have stated the obvious - that I cut and pasted this from an email I received that seemed to be credible enough to pass along. Being too lazy to fact check every statement, I went to Snopes and found the following:

snopes.com: The Real Mitt Romney

Which offers an evaluation of "MOSTLY TRUE" and confirms that he indeed did graduate from the joint MBA/JD program, and was one of only 15 students to do so out of the 800 Business School and 550 Law school students that were enrolled in the dual program. He also did pass the MI bar exam in July 1975, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what's wrong with the first paragraph.
It should also be noted that the "with regard to charity" section above, it's way off the mark. Romney in 2011 gave $4.1 million not to "charity", but to the Mormon Church. He gave $2.9 million to actual charities. It's a total of $7 million in charitable deductions. His tax bill was $3.2 million, or about 15.4 percent of his income.
As as hard as Romney works at his jobs, according to the piece above, none of his 2010 ($21.7 million) or 2011 ($20.9 million) income was from wages. It was all from capital gains from a profusion of investments, as well as stock dividends and interest payments.

It's pretty obvious that Romney no longer WORKS at his jobs - since his initial run for president in '08 he's been a professional politician. Having been successful in his business career, he's made prudent investments and is able to live off interest, dividends and capital gains - imagine that!
He even has money (upon which the appropriate taxes have been paid) in LEGAL offshore accounts; does that put him in the same catagory as Bernie Madoff? I think not. Let's not fall for Obama's class warfare pitch - it's a da*n shame that being successful has been so negatively stigmatized by the mainstream media.
Granted, it appears the Obama charity donation figure was wrong and that they donated a little over 20% of their 2011 income. Call that a wash for anyone that thinks charitable giving by the candidates is a critical issue in a presidential race.
One other note, the "Unpaid bishop and state president for his church 10 years" is an incorrect and misleading statement, made either out of ignorance, or purposely to deceive. I'm betting on the former. He was a stake president, not a state president. There's a world of difference, particularly because LDS doesn't have a 'state' presidential position in the church. A "stake" is an entity similar to a Catholic diocese, but different. He was president of the Boston area stake for almost 8 years, not 10. Also, the phrase "unpaid bishop" in the context of the other statements implies others were paid and he refused to accept any pay. LDS bishops are all unpaid positions.
Bishops and stake presidents are hardly full-time jobs, which is why they are unpaid, volunteer positions.

Nitpicking at it's finest. The bullet point simply says "unpaid bishop and state (stake) president for his church 10 years". No misrepresentation whatsoever, and this is an easy typo to understand. The facts are that he was bishop of his Mass. ward from 1981 to 1986 and president of his stake from 1986 to 1994. (source: Romney's Mormon faith helps shape his life, policies - San Jose Mercury News). How many readers among the great unwashed realize that Mormon bishops are unpaid? Perhaps this clarification might be forgiven, but the stated tenure of his service in these two combined positions actually IS incorrect - the true total is 13, not 10.
The "over 28 years total of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church" is supposed to sound impressive, and it is on many levels, but when you've got Oprah money, it's really not.
The fact remains that he could have taken the money, but didn't.

The bottom line is we've got two candidates running for POTUS this year. I suggest that everyone interested in casting an informed vote do a little research, as this OP was intended to inspire; read the info on the Snopes link, check out Romney's bio on Wikipedia, find some other sources through independant research instead of relying on the Obama campaing commercials and the stuff that's published in USA Today and babbled by George Stephanopolis on ABC. Then decide who you think has the best track record and which candidate is best prepared to guide the country - Mitt Romney or Barack Hussein Obama.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What's wrong with the first paragraph is the last sentence. It has very little to do with Romney and offers no facts about him at all. As to the rest, I've already stated quite plainly the problems with it, as it's not a piece about facts about Romney as much as it's an agenda driven piece to promote "Romney good, Obama bad." My only response to that is, well duh.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I don't know that much or care for Romney, BUT, Obama IS bad. He is EVIL! Just let them lay there and die Barrack. His words, not mine.That IS a fact. ANYONE that could do that is BAD! SO, at least the Obama be BAD part is right.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If Obama would release his transcripts from high school and college we will know more about him. We can find out HOW he got into college and we will know more facts about him.