Mitt Romney

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some facts about Romney that we won't get from the mainstream media but ought to get from his campaign or the RNC:

After earning his BA from BYU, went to Harvard as a Baker Scholar and attended both Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School simultaneously, earning both his Juris Doctorate and a Master of Business Administration.
He passed the Michigan bar, but never worked as an attorney. Quite the opposite of our current President who has kept his college transcript, records and grades a strict secret!

In fact, if Mr. Obama had not landed the nebulous job of "community organizer" in Chicago and worked as US Senator for 6 months, before winning the Presidency, he would have absolutely no resume whatsoever. The truth is without disclosing his college transcripts and GPA, Mr. Obama would not be able to even qualify for an interview for an entry level sales or management job with any real business. Perhaps the qualifications for a career in "community organization" are not quite as stringent?

As a venture-capitalist, Romney's first major business deal involved investing in a start-up office supply company with one store in Massachusetts that sold office supplies. That company, called Staples, now has over 2,000 stores and employs over 90,000 people.

Romney or his company Bain Capital (using what became known as the "Bain Way") would go on to perform the same kinds of business resurrections again and again, with companies like Domino's, Sealy, Brookstone, Weather Channel, Burger King, Warner Music Group, Dollarama, Home Depot Supply, and many others.
Sure, there were a lot of union workers who lost their jobs in some of these fixes, but union workers or just too many employees were usually one of the main reasons most of these companies were insolvent, and turned to Bain for rescue...and changed to keep from going out of business.

In stark contrast, the Obama administration has given away millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to Solyndra and at least six other similar"green energy" enterprises and several other companies (every one large Obama campaign contributors)...and lost it all with their bankruptcy. If Obama were president or CEO of any real company (instead of the government) he would probably not have made it past his first year without being fired for his inept decisions.

With regard to personal service...

Mitt was a volunteer campaign worker for his father's Michigan gubernatorial campaign for 1 year.

Unpaid intern in Governor's office 8 years.

Mormon missionary in Paris for 2 and a half years.

Unpaid bishop and state president for his church 10 years.

He took no salary as president of the Olympics for 3 years.

Took no salary as MA governor for 4 years.

That's over 28 years total of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church.
In all fairness, I really do not know what the job of "community organizer" pays in Chicago, but I do know that Mr. Obama has been living, traveling and vacationing off our dime since becoming Senator Obama.

With regard to charity...

In 2011 Mitt Romney gave over $4 million to charity, almost 19% of his income....
Obama gave 1%.

At least we know what religion Mr. Romney really espouses, we know that he won't desecrate or ignore our flag, bow down to foreign powers, or squander our tax money on vacations. He is clearly our best chance to turn around this financial debacle that the current administration has gotten us into.

But, on the minus side, Mitt never was a "Community Organizer", never took drugs or smoked pot. Never got drunk. Did not associate with communists or terrorists. Nor did he attend a church for 20 years whose pastor called for God to d**n the United States!
And yet some pollsters say Barack Hussein Obama is ahead of Romney in spite of having the worst record as president in modern history? These are the same pundits that said Jimmy Carter would defeat Ronald Reagan in a landslide.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was hoping this was going to be, you know, "some facts about Romney that we won't get from the mainstream media but ought to get from his campaign or the RNC," but instead is nothing more than an opinion piece about why "Romney good, Obama bad", and frankly sounds like it was created by the Romney campaign. Whoever wrote this couldn't even make it out of the first paragraph before betraying the Topic Sentence of the piece. Wow.

It should also be noted that the "with regard to charity" section above, it's way off the mark. Romney in 2011 gave $4.1 million not to "charity", but to the Mormon Church. He gave $2.9 million to actual charities. It's a total of $7 million in charitable deductions. His tax bill was $3.2 million, or about 15.4 percent of his income.

As as hard as Romney works at his jobs, according to the piece above, none of his 2010 ($21.7 million) or 2011 ($20.9 million) income was from wages. It was all from capital gains from a profusion of investments, as well as stock dividends and interest payments.

One other note, the "Unpaid bishop and state president for his church 10 years" is an incorrect and misleading statement, made either out of ignorance, or purposely to deceive. I'm betting on the former. He was a stake president, not a state president. There's a world of difference, particularly because LDS doesn't have a 'state' presidential position in the church. A "stake" is an entity similar to a Catholic diocese, but different. He was president of the Boston area stake for almost 8 years, not 10. Also, the phrase "unpaid bishop" in the context of the other statements implies others were paid and he refused to accept any pay. LDS bishops are all unpaid positions.
Bishops and stake presidents are hardly full-time jobs, which is why they are unpaid, volunteer positions.

The "over 28 years total of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church" is supposed to sound impressive, and it is on many levels, but when you've got Oprah money, it's really not.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Mercy, Romney could give all of us a new Sprinter loaded and never miss it. With all his millions, 1 dollar a mile in a van doesn't cut it. Now again, if a man is worth millions currently, and is spending millions to become President of the USA, and its not his money to best of my knowledge, why do we want someone spending our money to be a leader??????????????????? Tell'm Forrest, stupid people do these things all the time and we the people vote for them. Really, is this being frugal with our money, I think not.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oboma, Romney both the same animal. Although Romney dose have somthing of a track record to run in.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mercy, Romney could give all of us a new Sprinter loaded and never miss it. With all his millions, 1 dollar a mile in a van doesn't cut it. Now again, if a man is worth millions currently, and is spending millions to become President of the USA, and its not his money to best of my knowledge, why do we want someone spending our money to be a leader??????????????????? Tell'm Forrest, stupid people do these things all the time and we the people vote for them. Really, is this being frugal with our money, I think not.

He is not spending our money to be a leader unless you donate to his campaign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oboma, Romney both the same animal. Although Romney dose have somthing of a track record to run in.

It amazes me people still try to call the two of them the same.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was hoping this was going to be, you know, "some facts about Romney that we won't get from the mainstream media but ought to get from his campaign or the RNC," but instead is nothing more than an opinion piece about why "Romney good, Obama bad", and frankly sounds like it was created by the Romney campaign. Whoever wrote this couldn't even make it out of the first paragraph before betraying the Topic Sentence of the piece. Wow.

It should also be noted that the "with regard to charity" section above, it's way off the mark. Romney in 2011 gave $4.1 million not to "charity", but to the Mormon Church. He gave $2.9 million to actual charities. It's a total of $7 million in charitable deductions. His tax bill was $3.2 million, or about 15.4 percent of his income.

As as hard as Romney works at his jobs, according to the piece above, none of his 2010 ($21.7 million) or 2011 ($20.9 million) income was from wages. It was all from capital gains from a profusion of investments, as well as stock dividends and interest payments.

One other note, the "Unpaid bishop and state president for his church 10 years" is an incorrect and misleading statement, made either out of ignorance, or purposely to deceive. I'm betting on the former. He was a stake president, not a state president. There's a world of difference, particularly because LDS doesn't have a 'state' presidential position in the church. A "stake" is an entity similar to a Catholic diocese, but different. He was president of the Boston area stake for almost 8 years, not 10. Also, the phrase "unpaid bishop" in the context of the other statements implies others were paid and he refused to accept any pay. LDS bishops are all unpaid positions.
Bishops and stake presidents are hardly full-time jobs, which is why they are unpaid, volunteer positions.

The "over 28 years total of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church" is supposed to sound impressive, and it is on many levels, but when you've got Oprah money, it's really not.

Turtle are you saying Romney did not take money out of his pocket?.....It appears he only gave away some of his profits(cap Gains) to charity to lower his tax bill....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally i think giving to a church is charity. That's just my heartfelt opinion nothing more.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It amazes me people still try to call the two of them the same.

Lets see now, both have dentist that make the perfect teeth look more perfect when they smile, expensive clothes, body guards/FBI protection, spending money by the truckload and wasting fuel telling us ( WE'RE GONNA CREATE MORE JOBS ), yeah buddy, and Lot Lizzards can fly. I didn't know Lot Lizzards could fly. They both tell tall tales, create traffic jams and cause the working crowd to be late to work,continue to slam each other, one of them needs a job, the other is to rich now and doesn't need to work. oh yeah, one was born here and the other - well the verdict is not in on that one yet, but someday we will figure that out, s o m e d a y. there may be some differences, its to close to telllllllllllllllllllll.imho.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Turtle are you saying Romney did not take money out of his pocket?.....It appears he only gave away some of his profits(cap Gains) to charity to lower his tax bill....

I give money to charity. I do it because it is the right thing to do. I also take the tax deduction. So, are you suggesting that IF a person takes a legal tax reduction that it is the ONLY reason that person gives to charity? I think not.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally i think giving to a church is charity. That's just my heartfelt opinion nothing more.

Considering the Mormon church demands their 10% tithing....they really do....
Is doing your tithing duty to your church considered a charitable donation? I think not

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I give money to charity. I do it because it is the right thing to do. I also take the tax deduction. So, are you suggesting that IF a person takes a legal tax reduction that it is the ONLY reason that person gives to charity? I think not.

I agree but also have no doubt charitable giving would see a significant drop if it was not deductible.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They are not the same. I'm looking at a picture of both of them.
It's easy to tell who is who.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree but also have no doubt charitable giving would see a significant drop if it was not deductible.

It likely would drop. I don't know how significant a drop it would be but it would go down. I do believe, however, that most people, even the rich, who give to charity do so because they want too. The rich that give quietly even more so. That is why I respect Denzel Washington's work with veterans. IF vets did not talk about what he has done and is doing you would never hear about it. True charity.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It likely would drop. I don't know how significant a drop it would be but it would go down. I do believe, however, that most people, even the rich, who give to charity do so because they want too. The rich that give quietly even more so. That is why I respect Denzel Washington's work with veterans. IF vets did not talk about what he has done and is doing you would never hear about it. True charity.

Until he ran for office.....then it would be a tool for election....no doubt

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Until he ran for office.....then it would be a tool for election....no doubt

I don't think so. I believe, based on everything that I have heard from people who had first hand experience, that Mr. Washington is a good, honest man who is doing what he does because he believes it is the right thing to do. Now, not that I liked what the next guy did in office, but, George Jr. spends a LOT of time, in private with vets as well. Most of what he does with and for them goes without notice.

I also have seen MANY well to do people give considerable sums of money without fan fair at charity events that I have worked at. Most charitable work goes without notice.