July in Load One Nation

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's looking grim for me on the Expo. I'm in Portland, ME now. Took a load over to a house in Southport, ME, which is out on Southport Island just off the coast. There's a road to it, so I didn't have to take a ferry. Didn't even feel like an island. Delivered out to the tip of the island, and when you looked out from the yard, there was a whole lotta water as far as you could see. Back in the other direction, however, there were more lobster shacks than you can shake a toasted-buttered roll at.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Setting in Blue Ash, Oh about 40 miles to Wilmington. See you all at the show !!

You coming Dave ???
Spent many a night in Blue Ash. Chrysler Training Center is there. Right around the corner from Ford Sharonville. Had a lot of fun in that training center.....

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's looking grim for me on the Expo. I'm in Portland, ME now. Took a load over to a house in Southport, ME, which is out on Southport Island just off the coast. There's a road to it, so I didn't have to take a ferry. Didn't even feel like an island. Delivered out to the tip of the island, and when you looked out from the yard, there was a whole lotta water as far as you could see. Back in the other direction, however, there were more lobster shacks than you can shake a toasted-buttered roll at.

That would be a cool trip for me (at least once haha) I'm pretty sure that's the only state I have not been to (that didn't involve a boarder crossing). Will have to live it through your eyes for now :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I haven't yet seen a moose. Once in a while they'll come down into northern VT and NH, but they're routinely all over the northern 2/3 of Maine. And often they'll be standing in the middle of the road. But I didn't see nary a one on the way up to Madawaska or on the way back down. Very disappointing.

On the way back down I stopped in Bangor to get some work done on the van. I had a drip-drip from the fuel tank, which was a weather-rotted short fuel line at the pump above the tank (so that had to be pulled - $210) and my tailpipe rusted loose from the back end of the muffler (new collar and welded pipe, $60). But the guys (and the girl) at the shop were shocked that I didn't see several moose. One guy goes up to Caribou 3 or 4 times a month and he said he can't recall ever having a trip up there where he failed to see at least half a dozen, but several dozen is the norm. All the others said they can't recall going up that way and not seeing any. So now, it's like, well crap! It's even more disappointing.

In all these years I've seen most everything in the wild I want to see - eagles, ospreys, mountain lions, big horn sheep, elk, caribou, tarantulas, even seen a grizzly bear twice (pretty sure they were different bears). But so far, no moose, and, oddly enough, no black bears. I feel the odds are pretty good at eventually seeing a black bear, but I don't get to northern Maine all that often. But the area between Bangor and Houlton, where I-95 ends at the eastern border with New Brunskwick and Newfoundland, contains 3 of the 5 prime moose viewing areas. The area north of Portland is another one. I drove through 4 of those. The 5th (and the best) is in the Maine Highlands, which is when you take highway 11 up to Madawaska. But that's the scenic route, not a good road for Sprinters, much less for big trucks. Hilly, curvy, everyone said avoid that road unless you're going fishing.

So, no moose this time (yet), but I have had some very delicious encounters with several lobsters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, but I did spot the diner where the owner screamed at the toddler the other day. I didn't eat there, but I drove right by it.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I haven't yet seen a moose. Once in a while they'll come down into northern VT and NH, but they're routinely all over the northern 2/3 of Maine. And often they'll be standing in the middle of the road. But I didn't see nary a one on the way up to Madawaska or on the way back down. Very disappointing.

On the way back down I stopped in Bangor to get some work done on the van. I had a drip-drip from the fuel tank, which was a weather-rotted short fuel line at the pump above the tank (so that had to be pulled - $210) and my tailpipe rusted loose from the back end of the muffler (new collar and welded pipe, $60). But the guys (and the girl) at the shop were shocked that I didn't see several moose. One guy goes up to Caribou 3 or 4 times a month and he said he can't recall ever having a trip up there where he failed to see at least half a dozen, but several dozen is the norm. All the others said they can't recall going up that way and not seeing any. So now, it's like, well crap! It's even more disappointing.

In all these years I've seen most everything in the wild I want to see - eagles, ospreys, mountain lions, big horn sheep, elk, caribou, tarantulas, even seen a grizzly bear twice (pretty sure they were different bears). But so far, no moose, and, oddly enough, no black bears. I feel the odds are pretty good at eventually seeing a black bear, but I don't get to northern Maine all that often. But the area between Bangor and Houlton, where I-95 ends at the eastern border with New Brunskwick and Newfoundland, contains 3 of the 5 prime moose viewing areas. The area north of Portland is another one. I drove through 4 of those. The 5th (and the best) is in the Maine Highlands, which is when you take highway 11 up to Madawaska. But that's the scenic route, not a good road for Sprinters, much less for big trucks. Hilly, curvy, everyone said avoid that road unless you're going fishing.

So, no moose this time (yet), but I have had some very delicious encounters with several lobsters.
Hope when you finally see a moose it's not in front of your sprinter, be safe!

Reactions: danthewolf00

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Sitting in Mobil, AL waiting for a load. Everyone enjoy the Expo and hopefully we will enjoy some $$$$.