hi

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
it it slow for every body right now i have had 1 run this week only 275miles and not seeing any thing else???????????/

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, my first quarter has been pretty decent as well. This week however, I haven't done a single load. So I've just been working on little projexts for my truck to make it more efficient, and calling on new customers, as I run my own company.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
For me it's about the same, done some sitting but was due to be home anyway. Was told with the long Holiday Weekend that this was a good time to be down. So it will be spent on getting the truck into Spring/Summer mode after thus past somewhat harsh Winter, and the HoneyDo List is pretty long (Buried somewhere under a month's worth of mail).

AbeJr
TranStewart #6680
Stand Tall & Be Proud

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
thanks to every one i was just making sure i was not the ony one sitting in in spartsburg SC was going to go home but it cost to much and there is nothing comming out of florida either so i guess ill be spending easter in the ta

god bless and keep rolling

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
Been really busy,I guess just been lucky to be in the right place at the right time...This year is starting off better than last year,bring it on...

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We've had an awful 1st quarter. Right now we've been sitting outside Tacoma, WA for a week with 2 short loads.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Yes ..generally it is slower,although some will jam the majority will be lack luster,or average.. Manufactoring is down construction is down, Im no jeenius but we are directly related to a good economy.. economy booms we do good economy bad.. all you lease or big truck payment people better hold on. A trucker serves himself well when he learns a few things to look for in economic news. somrtimes an economy can do good in certain areas ,and not in others ..right now .Freight tonnage is down ,manuf, and construction down ..another thing to look at is the purchase of durable goods... ..naaaaa ..who am i kidding ..its the dispatchers falt

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im no jeenius but we are
>directly related to a good economy.. economy booms we do
>good economy bad..

I'm no genius either, but I have found expedite freight to be less dependant on the overall economic situation than TL and LTL freight. I believe an overall economic downturn increases the use of expedited freight services in some instances. Especially when things pick up and manufacturers are caught with low inventories.

On a 180 degree turn around, I just read where Boeing has sold more than 500 of its new fuel-efficient 787 passenger jets and is looking for ways to speed production rates. This process screams for expedite trucking. Too bad Boeing is in Washington. If you go, negotiate your rate before you except the load or have a backhaul in mind.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>thanks to every one i was just making sure i was not the ony
>one sitting in in spartsburg SC was going to go home but it
>cost to much and there is nothing comming out of florida
>either so i guess ill be spending easter in the ta
>
>god bless and keep rolling
If you wait for freight out of Florida to go home by the time you get there you'll be retiring anyway .

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Good points moop... I can see how it is you are thinking the way you thunk. Im talking in generalities, Who would have expected this economy to take off after 9-11. The stockmarket broke records the unemployment rate is some of the lowest in history. I think thanks to taxes being lowered. BUt I spoke to people in truck sales as well as others that made it through it the 9-11 aftermath... The repos on trucks were through the roof..My truck was a repo. I think when manufactoring takes a hit like ford and gm and chryst. Isnt That what expiditing was really for .. I think expiditing is gonna have to find its place in the future. I think it has already started. We will have to see how things shake out. I really think the money has already been made. The winners will be owners with paid off trucks, and fleet owners.In good financial status.. With shrinking manufactoring, and more drivers being attracted to expediting the pool of loads will shrink. there is not an infinate supply loads. Look at what happened to vans ,,Anyone can dive a van load with no special liscence and the cost of a van ..thats why there are 18 million of them ..and guess what ..pay for a van load has decreased.
Next a little tougher but who cant effectivly drive a u-haul with sleeper..
With Eo and all its promotion trying to attract drivers and interest to this part of the industry.The Field will be saturated and agin Fleet owners will fair better but not much ..for different reasons because they wont have to fight tooth and nail for loads in the grind ..they just have to promote the possibilities to perspective drivers and let them slug it out..
I hope for much prosparity for everyone ... but the big money has been made already..

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well personally I've had a great first quarter until last half of March. At the moment things are slow and of course the company does have more drivers than last year at this time. We are doing more calls than last year (I'm watchiing the load numbers) but right now I am sleeping more than usual.

So what to do??? Well if possible hang in there for the month and hopefully things will pickup in May (hahahaha) yeah I'm still hopeful.

A good sign for us is that there is still a driver shortage in the general trucking industry and that might just mean more work for us guys. So if work comes over it will probably be short runs and at the lowest price the customer can get. Unfortunately this means you may be competing with local rush couriers for the loads and those companies are known for lowballing prices (well around here they are).

For me at least I'll just get more the hotshot type calls so my DH will be high. Actually I've already started to see exactly this happening! The good part for some calls is the $$ per mile.

Rob

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
i get paid by the mile and they pay for my fuel but i need to start moving i think im going to call and see about dh to detroit at least i can get a load out almost anytime i never sat the nore that 4-7 hours before im heading out some where

god bless and keep rolling:* :* :* :*

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i doubt they let you dh out of spartanburg to detriot. why haven't you gone to atlanta. i always did good out of there.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i think of a bunch of places i would try before detriot if i was sitting in spartanburg. huntsville,al nashville memphis hopkinsville,ky. detriot is just to far to dh.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I guess how far is too far to DH depends on who pays for the fuel, and the wear & tear, eh?