Hey Y'all it's September! Where ya at?!

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
If I was in a straight I'd stay in a 500 mile radius of the yard. And do nothing longer. I feel the shorter loads pay more per mile and with the HOS it would be easier to make money with all the shorties I can do, imo.

I was helping with special circumstances and I don't mind running all over and in fact, I love the change of scenery but I was at the yard and this little birdie was whispering in my bluetooth. I was being a team player and didn't want to say no to tweety bird (even though I tried). The words "please, we really need your help? " tugs at my heartstrings. I am still seeing the positive in this....I just feel bad for my driver who is going to be stuck waiting at the airport on Sunday...sigh...

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido has a good point. My drivers do very well staying in that radius. Heck, the wife and I as a team do very well staying in that radius.

It still amazes me at how many drivers, to this day, being here as long as some have been, still walk around saying, "I ain"t getting enough miles"..when it really isn't about that, if they really watch their numbers.

guido4475

Not a Member
I was helping with special circumstances and I don't mind running all over and in fact, I love the change of scenery but I was at the yard and this little birdie was whispering in my bluetooth. I was being a team player and didn't want to say no to tweety bird (even though I tried). The words "please, we really need your help? " tugs at my heartstrings. I am still seeing the positive in this....I just feel bad for my driver who is going to be stuck waiting at the airport on Sunday...sigh...

My reply to you're post wasn't boo-hooing you're helping Load One out. That in itself is highly commendable. They need more drivers like you. Heck, even Wombat did the same thing, and made bukoo mondo mega bucks while doing it. But if the way you run you're business is based on scenery and sightseeing, than maybe you ought to buy a Winnebago. Stay where the money is and be profitable. Youll be a lot better off.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Did you let Brian know? Maybe we can arrange to get them picked up if you are not back?

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
My reply to you're post wasn't boo-hooing you're helping Load One out. That in itself is highly commendable. They need more drivers like you. Heck, even Wombat did the same thing, and made bukoo mondo mega bucks while doing it. But if the way you run you're business is based on scenery and sightseeing, than maybe you ought to buy a Winnebago. Stay where the money is and be profitable. Youll be a lot better off.

Did I miss something? I NEVER complained about not making money. In fact I do very well. Go back and read my posts. Do I ever complain about not getting loads? Let me save you some time.... :cool: the answer is a big resounding NO! :D. Just voicing that I need to be back up in Michigan. Not trying to bust any chops but gheeesh...

guido4475

Not a Member
Did I miss something? I NEVER complained about not making money. In fact I do very well. Go back and read my posts. Do I ever complain about not getting loads? Let me save you some time.... :cool: the answer is a big resounding NO! :D. Just voicing that I need to be back up in Michigan. Not trying to bust any chops but gheeesh...

Chill out dear..I never said you were complaining about not making money. Where did I say that? Where did I say you were complaining about not getting loads? You're taking things way out of context here. Breathe in...Breathe out....lol..

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
Chill out dear..I never said you were complaining about not making money. Where did I say that? Where did I say you were complaining about not getting loads? You're taking things way out of context here. Breathe in...Breathe out....lol..

Don't even start Guido. You are the one who took everything out of context. I was just responding to "your" words. Staying in a "500 mile radius" is not feasible in Expediting. Let me set the scenario: Drivers staying in a 500 mile radius. Customer calls Load One, Yes, I need a truck. Dispatch: No problem. Size? Customer: 22 feet. Dispatch: where does it pick up? Customer: Romulous. Dispatch: Great! Where is the delivery? Customer: Phoenix, AZ. Dispatch: uh...well, uh....we don't go to Phoenix.... Customer: Why not? Dispatch: Well, all of our trucks only stay within a 500 mile radius of our company. Customer: After he picks himself up off the floor from laughing so hard says, okay. ...and then hangs up mumbling to himself, They won't be in business very long... It's expediting and we DON'T have dedicated runs...we HAVE to go where the FREIGHT goes otherwise you can't GROW the territory. The broader your territory the more you grow your customer base. I laugh every time I hear someone say...I only stay in MI, OH, IN, KY, IL. And if I remember correctly, I have seen you down in Laredo. ..so please don't preach about where you go or don't go....And believe that I am just breathing and totally calm...namaste. ...

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Ok, lets all take a time out and count to 30. Maybe some lemonade and cookies and a group hug?

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
Ok, lets all take a time out and count to 30. Maybe some lemonade and cookies and a group hug?

I just find it comical when people want to preach about how they run their "whatever they drive" and try to tell others to do the same. My situation is different from Joe Blow's scenario and Polly Pocket has another scenario. ...we are not robots and we don't run the same. :D

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Or, they could take I-75 north to exit 47B (Bridge to Canada) and sit there in that 4 mile exit lane backup on the Interstate and just keep counting. Whoowee that's some backup.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
back in service after an oos run through the u.p. of michigan. muldoon's in munising, michigan has great pasties. autumn is certainly here. the maples are firey red. resurfacing in eau claire, wisconsin. already one nibble.

eb

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
back in service after an oos run through the u.p. of michigan. muldoon's in munising, michigan has great pasties. autumn is certainly here. the maples are firey red. resurfacing in eau claire, wisconsin. already one nibble.

eb

Yes they do, did you have an original ?

guido4475

Not a Member
Don't even start Guido. You are the one who took everything out of context. I was just responding to "your" words. Staying in a "500 mile radius" is not feasible in Expediting. Let me set the scenario: Drivers staying in a 500 mile radius. Customer calls Load One, Yes, I need a truck. Dispatch: No problem. Size? Customer: 22 feet. Dispatch: where does it pick up? Customer: Romulous. Dispatch: Great! Where is the delivery? Customer: Phoenix, AZ. Dispatch: uh...well, uh....we don't go to Phoenix.... Customer: Why not? Dispatch: Well, all of our trucks only stay within a 500 mile radius of our company. Customer: After he picks himself up off the floor from laughing so hard says, okay. ...and then hangs up mumbling to himself, They won't be in business very long... It's expediting and we DON'T have dedicated runs...we HAVE to go where the FREIGHT goes otherwise you can't GROW the territory. The broader your territory the more you grow your customer base. I laugh every time I hear someone say...I only stay in MI, OH, IN, KY, IL. And if I remember correctly, I have seen you down in Laredo. ..so please don't preach about where you go or don't go....And believe that I am just breathing and totally calm...namaste. ...

I haven't even begun to get started. While I am remaining calm, cool, and collected, and not mad as a one legged cat in a litter box, as you're wording has in a round about way indicated,I am asking you to explain to me how I took everything out of context, that's all. I want to better understand where you are coming from.Because as of now, you have me all cornfused here....lol...

Why is staying in a "500 mile radius" not "Feasible" for an expedite driver? Especially a solo, on top of that? In post #481, even Dynamite, one of the most successful teams and fleet owners here at load one, have agreed that even they, a husband an wife team, do very well doing this, even though I am sure they do not limit themselves to this completely. If anyone's advice is to be taken seriously, it is theirs. I bet he can tell you how much each and every drop of truck wash soap costs him on a monthly basis, if you ask him. They know their numbers. You're example you gave in you're last post is such a poor example of what you are trying to say. First of all, being a solo, it would be a bad idea to even consider a run like that. Maybe getting down there allows you to run legal and all and still make you're delivery time on time. But what happens when, you are in the middle of no where, and all that is coming out of that region of the United States are long loads, that have to be run straight thru, to anywhere, that you're logbook and the rules and regulations, won't let you do? You'll end up stuck there, like you could anywhere, out of that 500 mile radius.Understand?Not all loads are like you have inferred. And who said anything about dedicated runs? I didn't. You may laugh at those who say they stay in the states, or areas you mentioned, such as, "Mi,Oh, In, Ky, and Il", but that is where the bulk of the freight is, and usually, the higher paying runs as well. Look at you're numbers. Someone who is upstairs, and very respected in this business, once told me it is easier to get more money out of 500 and less m ile loads than 500 and above.Yes, I do go down to Laredo, out of that zone. And think about how many times I have openly, publicly, said that I do not mind going down there, because I know, over time, I will get a good one coming back out, like I usually do. And one load down there from Detroit can make a good week. And another back out the next week can make another good week, if it happens that way. It takes time to get out of there,and I have the patience to wait, within reason,. Was I all stressed out when I was down there for 11 days when you and I first met? I think not. I enjoyed myself. The difference between you and I going down there is I can get a load down and out of there and run it to Detroit straight thru if need be. You cannot. Not anymore, not being a solo and with the hours of service are concerned.But, if you are a team, well than, you have it made in the shade, so to speak, but sometimes, even teams sit, not that often, but they do have their days as well.And, as all of us know who have been in expediting for awhile know, there is always the old, but true, saying, "You cannot feed 2 families out of one truck". This holds true in expediting, especially, where waiting for a load is common at times.Now if you are married to you're team partner, or all of the money generated by the truck goes into the same pot, it will most likely work. In truckload, I don't think this holds that true, as semi freight can be easier to obtain than straight truck freight. Ask Butch and Jennifer.I think they had to adjust a lot going from one to another.

Turtle, I don't know how you are able to type such long posts and not get finger cramp! lol....

guido4475

Not a Member

eb

Pasties?.....is that how you roll?....lmao.....