Getting our own customers - where do I begin?

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Don't be a hater ground pound. Some of the drivers talking smack on here lack the mental acumen to run their own company. Most O/O's can't even run their own trucks at a profit and they think they're better than a CEO of a small carrier. There have been small carriers for years and years, there will be small carriers around for years and years to come, and not all of them go bankrupt! Don't hate on the competition. You're always going to have tons of competition in the van segment of this industry; because everyone and their brother owns a cargo van, a fleet of cargo vans, or a small carrier that runs only cargo vans. That's the way it is, that's the way it's always going to be! If you can't deal with that fact, continue to cry a river. The same thing goes for Russians and the yellow Pensk trucks. It's all a part of this business! Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Ground-pound isn't "being a hater" I am!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Almost every cargo van or straight truck driver I have ever dealt with in the past three years as a company owner or dispatcher has been almost flat broke. Some of them have been broke to the point that they have needed fuel money just to be able to run a load. Most drivers do not know how to properly manage their money nor properly maintain their vehicles. There is a severe lack of planning on everyone's part in this business.

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Kast, can you tell me the name of one company that is underinsured and running expedited freight? I have looked and looked and looked and can't seem to find one. It doesn't take much money to insure ten sprinters. Not even 300 a month a piece if you have a fleet policy. Are you saying the OP of this thread is not properly insured?

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Kast, can you tell me the name of one company that is underinsured and running expedited freight? I have looked and looked and looked and can't seem to find one. It doesn't take much money to insure ten sprinters. Not even 300 a month a piece if you have a fleet policy. Are you saying the OP of this thread is not properly insured?

Can I tell you a name: BH Xpress, courier insurance and expedite insurance are two different entities. Eclipse was running a fraudulent operation (similar but not the same way as BH.) Next you're gonna ask me to show proof... I can, but I'm not going to.

PS: you can read up on what happened to Eclipse.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If BH was running courier insurance, they wouldn't be on safer web with a DOT and MC number. They also wouldn't be running expedited freight as the minimum requirements are 1 million liability, 1 million general liability and 100k in cargo insurance. You better check your facts. Eclipse also had the same insurance. They also made each and every one of their owner operators carry the same insurance limits. When were they running courier insurance?

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Right that's why they (eclipse) are still running strong. The loophole in insurance is posted in other rants on this forum. I stated FACTS that I have from a factual source. You have a good night now.

PS: check who you're telling "better do something", I'm not your buddy

Reactions: sbarrett

kastmgmt

Not a Member
"They also made each and every one of their owner operators carry the same insurance limits."

Exactly, I would break down the issue with that too you, but you're not worth my time.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What loopholes are you talking about? Eclipse is still in business as Lunar Express! How have they been blacklisted? Getting proper insurance is one of the cheapest and easiest things about starting an expedite company. The hard part is getting brokers to work with you and recruiting drivers. Sure Eclipse has changed names, but they still have trucks and relationships with the brokers. They didn't really lose anything at all. What's your beef with Eclipse and BH? Are you jealous of their success?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I worked for Eclipse I had to have 1 million liability and 100k cargo. All had to be done through progressive with Eclipse listed as the certificate-holder. I don't see how that is running courier insurance. Like I said. You're just a hater!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You seriously think every carrier out their is running proper insurance, not letting it lapse etc. I think the subject of under insured carriers or those with falsified insurance has been very well covered on this site. The same goes for o/o running the multi curcuit under insured. I honestly find it hard to believe you don't think it's a problem in our industry.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You don't need to list the number of units you have on your insurance if they're carrying their own insurance. They just have to list you as an additional insured and all is good. When my drivers would cancel or change their liability limits without telling me, their insurance carrier would send me over a fax within 24 hours giving me a heads up. That is how it's done. Sure some people cheat, but not the two companies you just bashed. Try again son.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Insurance is only a small part of the problem in this industry. The brokers and middle men are the biggest problem. I have had load boards call me and ask me if I can lower my bid to under a dollar a mile for cargo van loads going to Laredo. I tell them I can't, because bidding a dollar a mille carrier rate is already way too low. That leaves my driver only 82 cents per mile which is a terrible rate for a cargo van. Insurance has nothing to do with that decision. Where I dispatch at now, all of our trucks are on our fleet insurance and run exclusively for us. We don't run the muti-carrier model and the cargo van, sprinter van, and straight truck rates are no higher than they were when I used to run a milti-carrier operation. The insurance is slightly higher, but the brokers all want it hauled cheap, cheap, and cheap!!

kastmgmt

Not a Member
"It has been awhile since I posted on the Eclipse page due to many things going on. At the 4 year mark of serving our drivers and customers on our carrier side we had no options but to close the carrier division down. Normally I might leave it at that but their was a great injustice that forced us to have to do this. After 3 months of trying to secure insurance to maintain our carrier authority and 3 different insurance agents it was impossible. We found that many hit a brick wall that underwriters were getting informed by others that made it were we were blackballed. It is hard to believe that people in good conscience would do anything like this but regardless it happened. No reason was given to us on what was being said. It really doesn't matter to me who believes this or not its the truth and it happened and it makes me sick thinking about it.."

Straight from the horses mouth itself (Eclipse expediting, LLC)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I had a broker hang up on me for bidding 500 dollars on a 20 mile large straight truck load. He blurted out "sheesh it's only a 20 mile load!" Well those 20 mile airport loads take up a lot of time and burn up the drivers log book hours. Sometimes those 20 mile loads take several hours to complete. I guess they want everyone to work dirt cheap while carrying all of the proper insurance coverage and late model equipment. You can't have it both ways. GM want's trailers no older than 10 years old, but they want to pay slave wages to the truck owners. Newsflash, if you want new equipment hauling your freight, you better pay higher rates!

Reactions: Mike99 and jjtdrv4u