Getting our own customers - where do I begin?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are wanting your own direct customers there is a couple tips I would consider. First, find a couple of local accounts you might know that you believe might be a major shipper in the area, and give them a visit. Provide to them something others they use can't - perhaps you are the only local sprinter trucking firm in the city. He could be your ticket and freight that gets you out of town and then you start working his customer lanes to get you back. Second, don't discount your service, I don't care if that is what they are looking for or not. Once you do that you have set yourself up for being a bottom feeder and you will work harder and make less money than those of us who work smarter and not nearly as hard. Start local for your outbound freight and take it from there! Good luck.

I guess this is the kind of reply he was waiting for... if he's still expecting an answer...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Kast. Unless a comment was deleted, I didn't see where he was in the wrong. But, I'm just a rookie...
The original post on "how to get my own customers" took a sharp turn.

Indeed, the guy was just asking, no reason to devour him...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing the rest of us need to keep in mind is that the admins and the moderators have tools--- among other things the "dashboard"-- which shows a lot of stuff going on in the background. I have a dashboard on my blog. It shows the number of visits of various posters, the IP address of a poster, the nation that the poster hales from (Wordpress has an international reach) and the time that a comment comes in. It gives admin and moderators the ability to delete and to ban too. On occasion, I found it necessary to edit a commenter's post (he is a sort-of-friend, so going nuclear on him wasn't a viable option) and those tools tend to be available-- if needed-- on most forums.

What you see here is only part of the show. The rest is--- on the dashboard.

Reactions: sbarrett

logisticscom

Not a Member
BTW, join a couple of manufacturing associations that are national along with your local Chamber. You need a good foundation locally and the Chamber meetings 'could' provide that.

BHXpress

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
Hello all,

What happened to the BH Xpress guy...? All praise and all thanks is to God... I am and we are still around.

I can honestly say that posting on here was very very VERY discouraging. You get lots of ":mad:YOU'RE GOING TO CRASH AND BURN LIKE EVERYONE BEFORE YOU AND EVERYONE AFTER YOU :mad:"... Some of the initial comments did sort of "chase me away"... I got busy with the business and never came back. I randomly decided to check back in and saw 8 pages on this thread. I was a bit surprised.

To clarify, blizzard is in no way, shape, or form associated with BH Xpress. I don't know the man/woman.

To the people that gave sincere feedback and words of encouragement, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I don't quite understand what drives the vast majority to want to see others crash and burn so badly. Are we, as a people, that dark and tainted? God help us all.

I read comments about us posted by people that I never came in any form of contact with talking about us as if they knew BH Xpress inside and out.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
on the positive side now I've ripped you.....Love your entrepreneur spirit...the way America was built....:)

This is America give him the chance to go out there and build his own business and sink his own ship if thats how it turns out, don't discourage him for the sake of making your wallet fatter. Its like everyone on here wants to steer people away because they're worried it will cut into their loads. Life goes on and so does business.

As far as getting customers I knew a guy that finds them through courier board and also hires sales reps to acquire new customers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
last post Aug 15 2016....it is now Jan 16 2017....really?....but you are right this is America....and my right to discouragement is as good as any....:) ....now I will apply somewhere as a recruiter and get sensitivity training and bring thousands more into the business ....it is my right...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
last post Aug 15 2016....it is now Jan 16 2017....really?....but you are right this is America....and my right to discouragement is as good as any....:) ....now I will apply somewhere as a recruiter and get sensitivity training and bring thousands more into the business ....it is my right...
Meany!.......:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ain't America great again!

:p
its great to be insensitive again....and the President will back me up....;)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you have industrial parks around go door to door, and tell them what you can do for them
go to cargo area of airport, and see if you can help out with making del
you need a sale force, if your people are home and not working train them to sale your product in home area

Reactions: Treadmill

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all,

What happened to the BH Xpress guy...? All praise and all thanks is to God... I am and we are still around.

I can honestly say that posting on here was very very VERY discouraging. You get lots of ":mad:YOU'RE GOING TO CRASH AND BURN LIKE EVERYONE BEFORE YOU AND EVERYONE AFTER YOU :mad:"... Some of the initial comments did sort of "chase me away"... I got busy with the business and never came back. I randomly decided to check back in and saw 8 pages on this thread. I was a bit surprised.

To clarify, blizzard is in no way, shape, or form associated with BH Xpress. I don't know the man/woman.

To the people that gave sincere feedback and words of encouragement, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I don't quite understand what drives the vast majority to want to see others crash and burn so badly. Are we, as a people, that dark and tainted? God help us all.

I read comments about us posted by people that I never came in any form of contact with talking about us as if they knew BH Xpress inside and out.

Bravo, svaka ti cast.