Getting our own customers - where do I begin?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I got sick and had to step back for a minute, that is not exactly failure.
Of course it is. You certainly had a legitimate reason for the failure, but it was a failure nonetheless.

You hurt your hand and had to go out of service for a few weeks, does that mean you're a failure at running your truck?
Well, "you're a failure at..." expressly implies a current state, so in that context the answer would be no, since I am currently not failing to operate my truck. But for 6 months I failed utterly at running my truck in expediting.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't work for or own BH Express lol. I wasn't calling you out or anything Turtle. I was just trying to make the point that we are all vulnerable to accidents/medical events. I am still on pain killers and in a lot of daily pain that pretty much ensures I will never be able to legally drive a van ever again. I liked being a driver way more than dispatching, but chronic pain has forced me to re-invent myself. I'm glad your hand is back to normal and that you do not live In chronic pain. The pain in my leg from when the blood clots tore it up has never stopped. If I had never had the accident that caused all of these medical issues, things would have been much different. I know some people who drive and take pain killers. I personally have not operated a motor vehicle in three years. I will not drive while on any prescription medication period. Any how, I never meant to give the impression that there isn't insurance fraud going on out there, I just personally have not seen it. That Is all I was trying to say.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't work for or own BH Express
We know. They're still open and operating as BH Express. (I crack myself up).

I never thought you were calling me out. We're just discussin' things here. :)

Having chronic pain must suck. The pain I had with the broken wrist sucked. And pain medication didn't really help much, even when I was doubling up on them.

As for back to normal, weeeelllllll. It's still weak and the full range of motion will probably never come back. Part of that is because I don't sit here in the truck and do rehab exercises. But at least I can function mostly normally and it rarely hurts anymore.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Hmmmm.... This thread was about getting your own customers.

Now, I can't be 100% certain of course, but I'm still reasonably sure that the past couple of pages of posts is NOT how it's done.

Just sayin'
yep, this website is funnier than the old comic strips funny papers back in the day...

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Hmmmm.... This thread was about getting your own customers.

Now, I can't be 100% certain of course, but I'm still reasonably sure that the past couple of pages of posts is NOT how it's done.

Just sayin'

If you're a carrier with 10 vehicles and you have been in business for a year running for .10 cents a mile, you think members of this forum are going to be helpful? Well you can help him find customers give him your list, but I'm not entitled to help anybody, and if this my posts offended anybody Turtle can delete them.

I'm not going to be nice to someone in business, that makes posts asking how to do business. This is the exact cancer that is killing away the whole trucking industry, and the people that put in time and work to be here sufer for it, while the all the scum has to do is close shop and open up another carrier.

I responded to this thread the same way that I would've responded to a new drug dealer asking where to find old crackheads. Everyone wants to be considerate and nice, I'm not going to be. The OP didn't stick around to hear the answers, I was responding to a person who thinks it is ok to do things illegally because drivers that think bottom feeders are ok are just as detrimental as the garbadge carrier.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Everyone wants to be considerate and nice, I'm not going to be.
You will, however, be respectful of the other EO members at all times, or you will suffer the slings and arrows of your outrageous fortune for it. "To be or not to be?" That really is your question.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Tell me Turtle, who did I disrespect and I'll apologize on this open forum.
Every EO member, actually.

2. Be respectful of others at all times.
The purpose of this forum is to provide a platform for the exchange of ideas and information. Occasionally, there will be conflicts that arise when people voice divergent opinions. Be courteous when disagreeing with others. It is possible to disagree without being insulting.

When you violate that part of the Code of Conduct, you are disrespecting everyone here. You apologized to xiggy for calling a member an idiot, so now you've only got the 18,773 other members to apologize to. I would highly recommend one blanket apology rather than 18,773 individual posts on the subject. :rolleyes:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dang it .... My customer list just flew out my Window ....:p
If you want to Enjoy Mudslinging ,Name calling , or other crap like that ----Go to the Soap Box section ... they discuss Politics , Religion , Steers and Queers , and insult each other ALL the time ... and they Enjoy it ... But not my cup of Tea ...... IMO .....:p

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
All I can say is failure only happens when you stop trying. Learn from mistakes move on even if it means you have to move back to square one.take what you learned with you and leave the past behind. If you have a truck following of 40 trucks then your golden but if you have a following of 40 trucks you ought to be makeing at least 100 a week off of each one and that would be a lot more than 2 or 3 k per month more like 4k per week.

Reactions: hazmat and ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all due respect if something isn't my cup of tea, I don't read the crap.

But since you were I apologize to you Mr.N time.
No I Was Not judging You ... You were Entertaining me ... my point was there is Alot Worse said in the Soap Box or Cat Litterbox as I call it .. than what you said .... but the Chosen Ones get away with it. Only time I read that section is to check on the Stupid ... its entertaining to read what a bunch of Cranky Old Hair dressors have to say .... :p

Reactions: jujubeans and kast

logisticscom

Not a Member
If you are wanting your own direct customers there is a couple tips I would consider. First, find a couple of local accounts you might know that you believe might be a major shipper in the area, and give them a visit. Provide to them something others they use can't - perhaps you are the only local sprinter trucking firm in the city. He could be your ticket and freight that gets you out of town and then you start working his customer lanes to get you back. Second, don't discount your service, I don't care if that is what they are looking for or not. Once you do that you have set yourself up for being a bottom feeder and you will work harder and make less money than those of us who work smarter and not nearly as hard. Start local for your outbound freight and take it from there! Good luck.

Reactions: Opel2010