Getting our own customers - where do I begin?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In any case-- BH hasn't responded since his second post on this thread. Could be we scared him?

(Note: It might be as well if we did. He's coming in with almost no planning and an equal amount of preparation--- if he gets going he'll fail in months at that rate.)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In any case-- BH hasn't responded since his second post on this thread. Could be we scared him?

(Note: It might be as well if we did. He's coming in with almost no planning and an equal amount of preparation--- if he gets going he'll fail in months at that rate.)
He does have a web site. He's further along than most wannabee's.

http://www.bhxpress.com

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Pass out cards with contact info, services, and web link.
1. Go to an airport. Talk to everyone with a dock around cargo terminal, give them a card. 2. Go to industrial districts, talk to everyone with a dock, give them a card. 3. Ask for referrals to other shippers(customers). 4. Repeat in every city you go to.

Paul or Stef have the ONLY advice that works in this industry.
Pretty much, if the company has a dock CALL ON THEM.
It's a numbers game. Most shippers are "happy".
But if you call on them monthly you MIGHT catch a day when their carrier has let them down.
Our biggest early local customer was just that.
We called on them ON the day they needed a couple of skids expedited to NC.
$75-$100K later, they are one of our better little local customers.
$35K in our first year. For a one truck operation, that was nothing to scoff at.
I think a I did 30-40 of those trips to NC. Thank God for "old injection molds" that create issues with production. LOL!!

Reactions: hazmat

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I notice on his website that he favors 6-wheel Sprinters. Unless the design has changed since last I knew, that's the very devil if you have to slide standard pallets into it. No room between the rear wheels.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
That is why I have saved the phone numbers of all my shipper or consignees that I could for the last year or so, if nothing else, it could hold value in the future, altho not really looking to make my own fleet, first I need my own vehicle which happens in Oct (unless I order, then may be a bit longer)

ground-pound

Active Expediter
Keep pushing forward bh...I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask questions though lol. Its suppose to be...but the menagerie is just going to look at you funny and call you names....then smile and pat then selves on the back for running another one out....kinda funny I guess

Is there data bases on computer that list shippers?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Do you have proper cargo insurance and PLENTY of liability insurance??? Most of us don't look too kindly on carriers that bid cheap rates because often they don't carry sufficient insurance and pay the cost thereof...

Reactions: jelliott

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
but the menagerie is just going to look at you funny and call you names....then smile and pat then selves on the back for running another one out....
Nobody is trying to run anybody out..... The OP asked a question.... He is being given honest answers....

My question to him is, you have 10 sprinters on the road, yet don't know where to find freight..... Why shouldn't you be questioned?

kastmgmt

Not a Member
pat then selves on the back for running another one out....kinda funny I guess

This sounds like the former owner of a expedite carrier that was on here giving every excuse as to why his operation was shut down. "Oh some EO members ratted on me to the insurance company," "oh Teanna is stealing the American dream and shut my business down." Be quite with the excuses, they just can't admit that they tried to short cut and got caught up then business went south.

This is what the universe is coming to, so senitive that if you are calling someone out for doing something unethical involving their business, all of the sudden we are the bad guys for calling them on it.

As far as "running another one out" you're damn right I'm going to pat myself on the back if a carrier is running illegal and they get "ran out", imma pat myself on the back two times! No sympathy from me for the OP.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The OP hasn't been back since his second or third reply. Either he got his answer--- or he figured he won't get the answer he wants to hear.
It's not as easy as it looks.....

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep pushing forward bh...I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask questions though lol. Its suppose to be...but the menagerie is just going to look at you funny and call you names....then smile and pat then selves on the back for running another one out....kinda funny I guess

Is there data bases on computer that list shippers?
The blind leading the blind.

Reactions: sbarrett

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Most of the expedited loads are nobodies customer. They mostly come from load boards and emails from the actual brokers who have direct access to these loads/customers. I get emails from Dana for loads all day long, and right after an email comes through, you will see three other well established companies posting that very same load up on Sylecus. Companies are just bidding these loads to rebroker them out at rock bottom rates after tacking their percentage on top of the rate they got from the carrier that bid on the load. There is a company that claims they have their own customers, but they are just 1 of 2 carriers who have access to bid on all of the expedite shipments for Pilot Air Freight. Sometimes they get the loads covered for under a dollar a mile by the bidding carrier, but they still lose the load because they tack on an almost 100 percent mark up on top of what the carriers are bidding on Sylectus. That is when Pilot just says it's cheaper to put that load on a plane. Imagine if Pilot put those loads directly on Sylectus and got them covered for a decent rate while effectively cutting out the middle man. Some brokers are just leeches and nothing more. Also, you aren't going to be able to attract that many customers with sprinter vans. Everyone and their brother has ten sprinter vans! You need more trucks, and you also need bigger trucks in order to become appealing to a shipper. Some shippers do not allow you to broker out their loads, so if you can't cover all of their shipments on one of your own trucks, you won't even get the contract with them. That being said, good luck!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't be a hater ground pound. Some of the drivers talking smack on here lack the mental acumen to run their own company. Most O/O's can't even run their own trucks at a profit and they think they're better than a CEO of a small carrier. There have been small carriers for years and years, there will be small carriers around for years and years to come, and not all of them go bankrupt! Don't hate on the competition. You're always going to have tons of competition in the van segment of this industry; because everyone and their brother owns a cargo van, a fleet of cargo vans, or a small carrier that runs only cargo vans. That's the way it is, that's the way it's always going to be! If you can't deal with that fact, continue to cry a river. The same thing goes for Russians and the yellow Pensk trucks. It's all a part of this business! Sit back and enjoy the ride!

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Most of the expedited loads are nobodies customer. They mostly come from load boards and emails from the actual brokers who have direct access to these loads/customers. I get emails from Dana for loads all day long, and right after an email comes through, you will see three other well established companies posting that very same load up on Sylecus. Companies are just bidding these loads to rebroker them out at rock bottom rates after tacking their percentage on top of the rate they got from the carrier that bid on the load. There is a company that claims they have their own customers, but they are just 1 of 2 carriers who have access to bid on all of the expedite shipments for Pilot Air Freight. Sometimes they get the loads covered for under a dollar a mile by the bidding carrier, but they still lose the load because they tack on an almost 100 percent mark up on top of what the carriers are bidding on Sylectus. That is when Pilot just says it's cheaper to put that load on a plane. Imagine if Pilot put those loads directly on Sylectus and got them covered for a decent rate while effectively cutting out the middle man. Some brokers are just leeches and nothing more. Also, you aren't going to be able to attract that many customers with sprinter vans. Everyone and their brother has ten sprinter vans! You need more trucks, and you also need bigger trucks in order to become appealing to a shipper. Some shippers do not allow you to broker out their loads, so if you can't cover all of their shipments on one of your own trucks, you won't even get the contract with them. That being said, good luck!

You also need to meet the requirements to properly run 10 vans as an expedite carrier.