Ford Transit question.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
I just left the Ford dealership 2015 Transit. Fluid and filter $240 they drop the pan they also skid plate took it out of the way. They quoted me 2 hours labor plus the fluid. Was told that the steering front end components are not affected

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking at my 2015 it appears only the front crossmember would need to be removed and the pan could be slid back and then forward to remove.

Skid plate? Is this something you added?

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
No I didn't add skid plate. We're talking about the same metal pan that covers the transmission and the cross members. Good information it may not be as hard as what I'm thinking

APMECHANIC

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look to the aftermarket supply companies that offer external remote spin-on filter with magnet that you can install in-line with the oil cooler line that comes out of the trans and goes into the radiator . This is where you will also do your one for one fluid exchange ( for every quart pumped out by the trans pump a fresh quart gets pumped in ) never have to drop the pan . Ford had trans problems with their pick-up trucks a few years back and this is how the general public fixed the problem . Ford now installs external filters with magnets as factory original equipment along with the internal trans filter in their pick-up trucks . This may or may not fix the Transit's problem .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
sounds like the double oil pan the Ford LTD Crown Vic had.....double pick up pumps front and back...the crossmember was the reason for the double pan as well...so this isn't the first time engineering was involved...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I just left the Ford dealership 2015 Transit. Fluid and filter $240 they drop the pan they also skid plate took it out of the way. They quoted me 2 hours labor plus the fluid. Was told that the steering front end components are not affected

Did you get the work done or just get a quote?

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Has anyone replaced the torque converter in a Transit, and did it fix the shudder problem? On the other hand, how far have you driver with TC shudder, with or without fluid changes, and has it gotten any worse? I'm thinking a replacement won't solve the problem if the new part is same design as the old. Just live with it???? And FWIW, I had a fluid change and Dr. Fix additive included and that solved the problem for only 5K miles. Maybe I'll wait until Trump is sworn in and after he fixes all the problems in the world, he can fix my Transit shudder.

Last edited:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just live with it. Same experience here with flushing, had 3 with the same results. Please check the rubber coupler I pictured above. It starts out as sporadic shudder as it's coming apart. Also, my shudder is isolated to the shift point around 2000 RPM. According to Tranny Guy I trust, it is a "software" problem that Ford isn't addressing?

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Thanks for the input, drivers. I'll follow your advice, especially about checking the coupler.

Reactions: Ftransit

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Rumble, grumble getting worse again. After replacing the coupling, it rumbled from 2000 to 2250 RPM. Now it is starting sooner, slightly over 1750 while accelerating, manually or cruise control. On a level road or downhill, no problem. Driving me KRAZY!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If Nissan made a 12 ft or longer vehicle I'd seriously consider one of those. Hardly hear of those owners having problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app
Nissan and GM are making 1 together ... pick the badge you want it to wear ...
baca7c61a1c4592977add30c2863970f.jpg
9f7ba5c08dedc52904e1d301d2e5a7a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: DollarSign

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They also build the same mini van which is even more ugly!

Lost in Space.
The new models remind me of the old Chevy Astro vans ... in which i had a 95 cargo van ... V-6 gave great MPG and good HP ... the 3000 lb.payload is what i will ? when they finally become available ...

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app