Ford Transit question.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Transit Fun! Had to go OOS yesterday. Previously reported shudder got REAL bad. Decided to bypass Ford and went to Performance Transmission in Murfreesboro TN. Owner Butch went out with me for a ride, he drove. Within blocks he said there is a shudder but that that wasn't my problem. Back in the shop, up on a lift he found a rubber coupling at the front of the drive shaft was coming apart causing the main issue
96567633de01b3d91f3ecaed50956568.jpg

He went to Ford for the part and they already had a Transit on the lift with the same problem, only the fibres you see had wrapped around and destroyed the undercarriage wiring and hydraulic lines. They said it's not the first one they have seen and if it had completely come apart at interstate speed the damage would have been colossal.

New coupler and labor $250.

However, read the following to. Ford says a scheduled Transmission flush is all that is recommended and Filter is lifetime. That's Ford. The Tranny guy thru the BS flag saying without a drain, fill and filter change I will always have high speed shudder under load.

So he called Ford and they quoted 8 hrs labor to disassemble and reassemble the frame components + Transmission service + front end alignment because the disassembly included front tire/wheel suspension. They took me under vehicle and showed me what had to be done to get to Transmission Pan. Bottom line = $1000 job. Great engineering.

Anyway, Transit owners, regularly check the coupling.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Same happened to me on the hwy . Transit with 165 kmiles. I had to replace fuel lines, brake lines and driveshaft .$3500 job....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transit Fun! Had to go OOS yesterday. Previously reported shudder got REAL bad. Decided to bypass Ford and went to Performance Transmission in Murfreesboro TN. Owner Butch went out with me for a ride, he drove. Within blocks he said there is a shudder but that that wasn't my problem. Back in the shop, up on a lift he found a rubber coupling at the front of the drive shaft was coming apart causing the main issue
96567633de01b3d91f3ecaed50956568.jpg

He went to Ford for the part and they already had a Transit on the lift with the same problem, only the fibres you see had wrapped around and destroyed the undercarriage wiring and hydraulic lines. They said it's not the first one they have seen and if it had completely come apart at interstate speed the damage would have been colossal.

New coupler and labor $250.

However, read the following to. Ford says a scheduled Transmission flush is all that is recommended and Filter is lifetime. That's Ford. The Tranny guy thru the BS flag saying without a drain, fill and filter change I will always have high speed shudder under load.

So he called Ford and they quoted 8 hrs labor to disassemble and reassemble the frame components + Transmission service + front end alignment because the disassembly included front tire/wheel suspension. They took me under vehicle and showed me what had to be done to get to Transmission Pan. Bottom line = $1000 job. Great engineering.

Anyway, Transit owners, regularly check the coupling.

Had my bad coupler replaced at 124K under my extended warranty. Ford wouldn't replace just the coupler, they replaced the entire drive shaft assembly. So, I've got new coupler, u joints and CV joints under warranty. Also complained about the shudder. They dropped my trans pan and cleaned and inspected the trans valve body. Then they did a flush and fill. No hint of the shudder yet at 138K.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Ftransit

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
could an ingenius mechanically inclined person.....drill a hole in bottom of the pan insert a plug with threads....and drain the pan from there....?
I'd be fabricating a new pan & remote sump that would allow me to change filter as well...without disassembling the whole van lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
could an ingenius mechanically inclined person.....drill a hole in bottom of the pan insert a plug with threads....and drain the pan from there....?
Probably, but what's still in the filter?

Ford says Lifetime filter right? apparently it does not matter..Its a sealed system.....so what you going to find in there? Mice?......if its metal shavings you are probably screwed anyhow....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
The question is, what does ford consider a lifetime.
Bingo, this is the engine/transmission combination designed for F150. A light to medium duty work truck used mostly local. Don't think 190,000 miles in 18 months of regular medium to heavy duty use was thought about at all. I think I treat it well too

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If a transmission fails at any mileage due in any part to the "lifetime" filter, then Ford should replace it at no cost.
Disclosure: I'm not a lawyer. Just some dope who sometimes has common sense.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Hello worn-out manager. Seems like you've been busy with your van. Glad to hear that you're transmission guide concurred with what my Ford mechanic said regarding the oil and filter intervals. I've been looking at alternate ways to change the fluid and filter without dropping the pan. I'm going to experiment with dropping the rear of the pan only .Siphon hose for fluid and hopefully get the filter out. Also I can reach into the pan for the magnet and clean . Remove the dipstick and then run a long hose from the top of the engine down to refill. After I replace the oil that came out of the pan. Then move up to the front of the car remove the lower transmission line cooler line. Use a bucket start the truck put it down into drive until it starts flowing clean transmission fluid. I'm still kicking this around

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: brokcanadian

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wayne, don't forget you will need to replace the pan gasket. Might be difficult without completely removing the pan. Something to consider.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If a transmission fails at any mileage due in any part to the "lifetime" filter, then Ford should replace it at no cost.
Disclosure: I'm not a lawyer. Just some dope who sometimes has common sense.
I guess just getting them to "admit" it was the filters problem...

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Yea Moot good point. I have reused gaskets. Butt.. Yeah if the dropping the transmission pan requires any of the steering components to be moved I think I'll just scribe into the surrounding metal so I can put back in the same spot. I might as well face it I'm going to have to learn the Ford drop the pan procedure. I'm also hearing people removing the dipstick in fact there is a small dipstick on all 6r80 transmissions. Stick a siphon hose into that hole remove fluid in the pan and then run along rubber tube from engine bay down into the hole and refill that's for changing the fluid only.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EO Forums mobile app