Ford Transit question.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Back to Ford. I was telling a friend of mine to get a Transit cause I thought it was the best alternative to the Sprinter. After reading this I don't know.

Reactions: ntimevan

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember those old astro vans back in the early 90s my aunt got one it had a tv an everything we thought we was s&$tting in high cotton when we got to go down the rd watching tv of course we was all like 8yo

guido4475

Not a Member
If I was going to pick one it would be the Chevy. Unless the Nissan has fog lights also. Got to have fog lights
db7ac7cc6688220a4c52ecec5994c87c.jpg

A 750 watt lightbar works just as good..lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nissan and GM are making 1 together ... pick the badge you want it to wear ...
baca7c61a1c4592977add30c2863970f.jpg
9f7ba5c08dedc52904e1d301d2e5a7a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

This is a inner city duty van similar to the Transit Connect. This is no comparison to the full size vans out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...vrolet-city-express-van-mo-mh-1480x551-03.jpg

This is the 2017 chevy inner city ..
The pictures i posted are the full size versions cargo vans...

http://2017automodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2017-Chevy-Express-Front-image.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
So, having Torque Converter replaced. Ready to put Tranny back in and I got excited that I might actually get the chance to make money still this week, NOT! Now they tell me they had to "cut off" bolts that were on frame parts that had to be removed and they have to get the bolts sent in from Detroit.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, having Torque Converter replaced. Ready to put Tranny back in and I got excited that I might actually get the chance to make money still this week, NOT! Now they tell me they had to "cut off" bolts that were on frame parts that had to be removed and they have to get the bolts sent in from Detroit.

so they replacing the converter just to keep you quiet?......LOL

Reactions: xmudman

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Well, $2,245.55 later I have a new Torque Converter. Hope it lasts a long, long time. 3/4 labor as I knew it would be. I hope none of my EO TRANSIT family have Transmission problems. Although many on here have stated differently, you can't work on the transmission without removing multiple frame parts including lower control arms. This has been shown me by 3 Ford dealers and 2 Transmission shops. Oh well, time to lick myself, I mean my wounds, and move on. Vicious cycle, gotta spend it to make it so I am concentrating on the positive, starting the year with a headstart on expenses to offset the income. Now, where did I put that income?

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
worn out manager good to hear your van is running smooth. You mentioned the lower control arms must be removed before working on the transmission. Do they need to be removed to only drop the pan . AP mechanic commented that the Ford F-150 with the same transmission is using an inline filter. It seems to me if there were any metal shavings coming from the transmission that they would fall directly into the sump pan. And collect on the magnet I can't see how metal shavings would travel through an such a small line

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
worn out manager good to hear your van is running smooth. You mentioned the lower control arms must be removed before working on the transmission. Do they need to be removed to only drop the pan . AP mechanic commented that the Ford F-150 with the same transmission is using an inline filter. It seems to me if there were any metal shavings coming from the transmission that they would fall directly into the sump pan. And collect on the magnet I can't see how metal shavings would travel through an such a small line
I have heard about the "fix" on F150. Apparently they felt the Transit 3.5, which is the same as F150 didn't need it. To the best of my knowledge, yes on lower control arms & frame supports. In my case they had to cut off and replace the control arms which added another couple hundred to the bill. As noted, multiple Ford dealers and (2) transmission shops said they don't do drain/fill/filter change on this transmission?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have heard about the "fix" on F150. Apparently they felt the Transit 3.5, which is the same as F150 didn't need it. To the best of my knowledge, yes on lower control arms & frame supports. In my case they had to cut off and replace the control arms which added another couple hundred to the bill. As noted, multiple Ford dealers and (2) transmission shops said they don't do drain/fill/filter change on this transmission?

originally the Sprinter started out by service manual only 1 tranny service at 80,000 miles and then nothing.....BUT being in the US of A changed all that to regular interval.....you have to keep in mind where that tranny was designed and operated in....a whole different driving experience...IMO a redesign for N/A Transits would be on the drawing board....