DRIVER WINS AGAIN

cpboy_1

Seasoned Expediter
I have only been in the expediting business for about six months, and I must say alot of people bash the cat! The cat has been good to me, espicially this last week. Take the mini's, yeah they don't pay good but in the long run everything adds up. I took a run from Des Plaines, IL to Naples,Fl. It turned out I was suppose to be in Columbus, OH. I got paid for turning around. I got to Columbus, OH, JackPot. I got a load from Columbus, OH to Las Cruces,NM. I unloaded deadheaded 50 miles to El Paso, TX. From El Paso, I got offered two loads. The first one going from El Paso,TX to CA. The next one going from El Paso,TX to Detroit,MI. I was kicking myself in the behind because I was already on the pro going to CA. So I had to forfeit the load going to Michigan. When I got to California, Jackpot. I got a load going from CA to GA. It sends me home for the holidays. Talk about a good week, this has been a blessing. Pretty good for the proclaimed "slow season".

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time! Weeks like this are the time to put the cash back for those slow ones.

Congrats!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
wow glad you got some super loads, weeks like that give us hope, during our slow periods..there the ones that you will remember...congrats

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Can I ask what "mini" means? Panther drivers use the term. Just so I can better understand what they write, does "mini" have a special meaning at Panther, or is it just a slang term that refers to a short run?

cpboy_1

Seasoned Expediter
From my experience any load that is under 100 miles pays a flat rate to the driver/oo of $99.00 plus the fsc. So you can go 37 miles and get a flat rate plus the fsc.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
because greg you are with fedex and they pay better for there mini's, just like I have talked to van drivers who have taken 25 mile loads for 200.00 plus fsc. if I was offered with my carrier the same run it would be 50.00 plus fsc. fedex and landstar's pay is a whole lot better for there mini's then most of the other company's.

60MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Greg,

I was asking specifically about Panther driver use of the word "mini" as they seem to use it to refer to a specific kind of load, just as we at FedEx Custom Critcial use the term "less than 75" in a particular way.

cpboy_1 said, "From my experience any load that is under 100 miles pays a flat rate to the driver/oo of $99.00 plus the fsc. So you can go 37 miles and get a flat rate plus the fsc." so I gather that is Panther's meaning. Am I correct?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Phil,

While I'm not with Panther, I think the issue I see the O/Os is that they are on a standard rate per mile and/or a flat rate for a mini. I can see that a mini run with a flat contract rate is much less attractive than at FXCC or LEAM, where you receive a percentage of the load charge.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

4U2JoinTheCat

Recruiter Moderator
OK here goes. "Mini" is short for minimum. Panther has minimum pay amounts for each truck size. Cargo van = $50, Staright Truck = $99, and Tractor = $250. If the miles x rate do not equal at least that amount the load will pay the truck a "minimum" of that amount. Surchage is separate and paid in addition to the minimum amount.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Nice week. I, meanwhile, delivered in Council Bluffs on Monady morning, then sat until Wed evening, when I drove up to Sioux Center,IA in my sprinter for a 999 mile run to Ontario loading Thur am, only to discover that the load was actually 16 pallets!! So I took that $50 windfall we get for dry runs and drove home, empty, to Chicago. Wow, do I still have a LOT to learn.....

Daniel
Panther 12055

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you. Now I know that "mini" means when Panther drivers use the term.

G

this is stupid ...mini for Panther is <75 so if you run 75 miles you'll get 50$ in miles this is(0.77 x 75 miles is 57.75$)
Maybe someone in Panther need some mathematics lessons
And regarding the boards in Detroit I'm totaly confused now...I'm in Warren sitting on Detroit, Auburn Hills, Plymouth, Romulus, New Baltimore boards and I have 10 days here and I got one offer last night for a mini...I cannot affird to take it because with money from that run I can pay only QC and gas for the rest I have to borrow :)

60MPH

Expert Expediter
remus reread post #11 from jeff brown you get paid 50.00 if the miles on the load offer would not pay that much. heres what I mean 64 miles @ .77 equals $49.28 so any load 64 miles or less will pay you 50.00 +fsc now any load at 65 miles and more will pay you @ .77 a mile plus fsc -- funny thing is when I started for them back in 2001 it was 50.00 plus fsc for a mini and fuel was cheap a plentyful you could get 3 to 4 mini's a day in detroit alone. but with the way things are today I can't see why they would expect anyone to run one because that will be all you get for the day because every one knows who works for them for any amount of time knows that 1st out does not mean anything.

60MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
remus, once again you have posted very negatively about Panther with incorrect information. There are certainly things that are wrong and need to be addressed however blurting out incorrect information isn't helpful. Why would you sit anywhere 10 days other than at home on pager? I just can't see staying with a company you hate so much.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Remus,
What are thinking? Why would you waste a third of a month sitting in Detroit? Only one waiting to be nominated as the DA of the month would consider waiting that long.
Even the cheapest load board would provide a run out of the area.
If you can't afford to move somewhere after a day or so, you are in the wrong business entirely.
You would be better off grabbing the blue vest and saying "welcome to Wal-mart".
Coming on EO and whining about sitting for a third of the month and not doing anything isn't going to garnish you much sympathy.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
remus said: "this is stupid ...mini for Panther is <75 so if you run 75 miles you'll get 50$ in miles this is(0.77 x 75 miles is 57.75$)
Maybe someone in Panther need some mathematics lessons"

=====================================================================

Read post #11, then go on to your math class, after which you may think about the story problems. How in the world can you be on with PII and not know how to figure out the nin. amount of pay you get. It sure ain't because you don't have the time.