Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

schwanman

Expert Expediter
No. Looking back I should have tracked. Using dash mpg it started out 18-19 mpg. As it was broke in it improved. Between last oil change 21.7 ( trip gauge)

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
There are a few failures in every model. All of mine are still going strong.. several are over 100,000 miles now...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
There are 4 of those Promasters in Sparta tn , off I40 near Cookeville, been there all summer. Dodge place.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a few failures in every model. All of mine are still going strong.. several are over 100,000 miles now...

Good to know. I'm rooting for them, but wary....

How many do you have now ? Did you get the diesel yet ? If so, like it as well as gas ? I drove one and hated the auto shift manual transmission feel, but I suppose once on the highway it would be fine.

Last edited:

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Good od to know, I'm rooting for them, but wary....

How many do you have now ? Did you get the diesel yet ? If so, like it as well as gas ? I drove one and hated the auto shift manual transmission feel, but I suppose once on the highway it would be fine.
Getting our 2015 pro tomorrow. Chrysler taking our 2014 back using their buy back program.

pblue

Rookie Expediter
I have a 2014 Promaster with 109k miles. It is getting a new engine. It threw a "#5 cylinder misfire" code and after hours of work by the Promaster technician, engine technicians, the Chrysler technician and Chrysler technical support, they concluded that the engine has to be rebuilt or replaced.

So after i opened a case with Chrysler, they offered to rebuild the engine for $2500 instead of $5000, or sell me a new production line engine for $3700 installed, instead of the $10,000+ i was told that it would cost.

I have used Chrysler spec full synthetic oil for 90k of these miles. I average 65-70 mph with all highway miles. There is no better care that i could have given this drivetrain.

I found out on the Internet that this cylinder misfire problem occurred in this engine in Chrysler cars, and they fixed those vehicles at no charge.

Here's are the other problems:
- Severely squeaking leaf spring bushings that were replaced
- Leaking radiator that was replaced
- Replaced steering column because telescoping mechanism would not stay set
- Replaced front brakes due to severe squeaking
- Parking brake occasionally doesn't fully release, and squeals loudly

By the way, I just discovered that the tires cost over $200 each because Continental is the only manufacturer that makes the tire with the correct speed and weight rating.

I don't want to keep this Promaster, but I'm so far upside down due to miles, I may not have a choice.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pblue. what size are the tires and what weight rating does it have. If the van has 225 75R 16 you should look at discount tire for that size. They have the E rating which you should have now on the van.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a 2014 Promaster with 109k miles. It is getting a new engine. It threw a "#5 cylinder misfire" code and after hours of work by the Promaster technician, engine technicians, the Chrysler technician and Chrysler technical support, they concluded that the engine has to be rebuilt or replaced.

So after i opened a case with Chrysler, they offered to rebuild the engine for $2500 instead of $5000, or sell me a new production line engine for $3700 installed, instead of the $10,000+ i was told that it would cost.

I have used Chrysler spec full synthetic oil for 90k of these miles. I average 65-70 mph with all highway miles. There is no better care that i could have given this drivetrain.

I found out on the Internet that this cylinder misfire problem occurred in this engine in Chrysler cars, and they fixed those vehicles at no charge.

Here's are the other problems:
- Severely squeaking leaf spring bushings that were replaced
- Leaking radiator that was replaced
- Replaced steering column because telescoping mechanism would not stay set
- Replaced front brakes due to severe squeaking
- Parking brake occasionally doesn't fully release, and squeals loudly

By the way, I just discovered that the tires cost over $200 each because Continental is the only manufacturer that makes the tire with the correct speed and weight rating.

I don't want to keep this Promaster, but I'm so far upside down due to miles, I may not have a choice.

One good thing about the 3.6 Pentastar engine that is in the Promaster is that Chrysler used that engine in so many other vehicles. Just searched Ebay and found one for $1500 with only 11,000 miles on it. Now that was out of a Jeep Wrangler so there might be a few things that will have to be changed, but that would be my way to go, of coarse I would install the engine myself, but you should be able to find a shop to install it for less than the $2500 they told you they would fix it for.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pblue. what size are the tires and what weight rating does it have. If the van has 225 75R 16 you should look at discount tire for that size. They have the E rating which you should have now on the van.

Yes, just bought new tires for my Sprinter, same size from discount tire, $79 each, cheapest E range tire I have ever seen.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One good thing about the 3.6 Pentastar engine that is in the Promaster is that Chrysler used that engine in so many other vehicles. Just searched Ebay and found one for $1500 with only 11,000 miles on it. Now that was out of a Jeep Wrangler so there might be a few things that will have to be changed, but that would be my way to go, of coarse I would install the engine myself, but you should be able to find a shop to install it for less than the $2500 they told you they would fix it for.

The exhaust manifolds are cast directly into the head on these engines so I don't think it's a simple swap.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
The exhaust manifolds are cast directly into the head on these engines so I don't think it's a simple swap.

Been a long time since I rebuilt a motor. That type of setup sure don't seem mechanic friendly. Guess they planned on the motor out living everything else.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I doubt they would make different heads for different vehicles, so I would think that would make it even easier to swap one of these engines from say a Caravan to a Promaster.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I doubt they would make different heads for different vehicles, so I would think that would make it even easier to swap one of these engines from say a Caravan to a Promaster.

Well they do, and I have no idea if a jeep engine set up in a north south position (which is what your original post was talking about) would be an easy swap into a fwd version when the exhaust manifolds are part of the head.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well they do, and I have no idea if a jeep engine set up in a north south position (which is what your original post was talking about) would be an easy swap into a fwd version when the exhaust manifolds are part of the head.

I copied this from the Allpar site:

Despite the four variants of the 3.6 already being sold — rear drive (290 hp), AWD (292 hp), FWD (283 hp), and Challenger (305 hp), there are just two head designs, two intake manifolds, and one set of internal components, including cam and pistons (this probably changed when they added the Ram setup, 305 hp, though the rep said the main advantage in the Ram was the space available for the exhaust), according to an SAE article by Paul Weissler. The Challenger's 13 horsepower increase is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s.

So you might be right, only engines from the transverse mounted FWD vehicles could be swapped into the Promaster easily.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I have the 6th Promaster in my shop now, upfitting for expediting takes 1-2 months. I changed my mind on the next one, it is no longer coming in as a diesel. The difference between gasoline and diesel fuel is just too great to see any payback from diesel fuel. Also, it's clear the federal government has declared war on diesel fuel so it's unlikely diesel will ever make sense again.

I really, really want to try the automated manual transmission because I do not care for the automatic down shifting on the gas transmission, but it's just too expensive to go diesel anymore.

I am concerned about the transmission longevity but so far (knock on wood!) there has been no issues. I would be just as concerned with the Transit transmission but no more so.