Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Flywheel #2 last one was 19500 +\- this one made it to 45450. That should put the third one at around 60-65,000. I might get the 4th before the warranty ends. I wonder if Ford is using a car power tran in their new van?
Something else must be wrong with the powertrain near the flywheel for those to be going bad like that???

guido4475

Not a Member
Yikes ! Not good...

One more data point, spoke to a guy recently with 60k on his PM. No issues yet. However, spark plug replacement is to be done every 60k so he just had it done. Cost him almost $400.00 !!! He said they told him it was a big job because the engine is not accessible. Not good...

Ford dealers will usually charge around this price as well, even though I never will pay that. Absolutely ludicrous. Ford also suggests every 50-60 thousand on spark plug replacement. Not because of wear, but because the plugs will weld themselves to the threads if not done around that mileage. And than they can break off.There's only like 3-4 threads that hold a spark plug in on a triton V-8.Engineering at it's finest....lol....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My GM 6.0 was 100k for plugs and it cost about $100 labor at my EXCELLENT local shop. My wild guess is the $400 PM plugs wouldn't be more than $200 there and probably less. Plugs should be good for 100k miles though in any new engine.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it's a Dodge.....lol....What'd they do, put a van body on a Dodge Neon powertrain?.....lmao...
One example that obviously has something like a bent crank or stripped bolt causing a repetitive problem... and you condemn the whole design... every brand has its few lemons... every brand.

But there are a few Haters on every forum too... LMAO!

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
One example that obviously has something like a bent crank or stripped bolt causing a repetitive problem... and you condemn the whole design... every brand has its few lemons... every brand.

I'm going to try and get a new transmission and torque converter. I agree something is not lined up right. I just spent some time with two promaster owners. They love the vans as I do but are really unhappy with Chrysler. The one guy needs a left head they have none anywhere. A sticky valve thought was a problem in this motor few years back. They told him to just run it until it quits or the head comes in. DH from krp to syracuse to the dealer I bought it from.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Same could be said of Sprinters....and we know we have haters out there as well....just saying

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yikes ! Not good...

One more data point, spoke to a guy recently with 60k on his PM. No issues yet. However, spark plug replacement is to be done every 60k so he just had it done. Cost him almost $400.00 !!! He said they told him it was a big job because the engine is not accessible. Not good...
My owners manuals tell me the spark plugs are to replaced every 100,000 miles. I wonder why he did them at 60,000 miles???

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dealer called this morning on the flex plate. It seems he said it was a bad install at theother dealer. The bolts are loose the plate is not cracked or broke. They arereplacing it again with new bolts and told the factory rep I talked too thatthey are very confident it won't happen again. I'm kind of good with it if in factit's not cracked or broke. That may mean that it was most likely a defectivepart originally. If that is indeed the case it may not happen again. I willknow more when I pick it up and ask to see the flex plate. If it's notavailable then I'll know there blowing smoke. They offered free oil changes fortwo years and I told her to stick it. It wasn't a bad offer in hind site Iguess. However I think they could do better. I will call back tomorrow and seeif it has a limit on the number of oil changes that can be done. If there’s nolimit than I will have it done at half the interval. Two years should get me acouple grand in oil changes.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Found this on the net.....

"Sometimes when an automatic transmission is removed the installer may make a mistake and not get the torque converter seated on all of the splines.
When the transmission is in place and the trans mounting bolts/torque converter bolts are tightened the flex plate is distorted and under a lot of pressure.

Upon startup the converter may then seat (or not) and the weakened flex plate may crack shortly afterwards or it may go months or years before giving up."

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
How's the repairs going? Very curious on the body parts. Deer season is coming.

$5,300 for damage repairs. Now working on payment to me for lost revenue and deductible. 12 days total body shop had van. Was told 5 days at the beginning.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dealer called this morning on the flex plate. It seems he said it was a bad install at theother dealer. The bolts are loose the plate is not cracked or broke. They arereplacing it again with new bolts and told the factory rep I talked too thatthey are very confident it won't happen again. I'm kind of good with it if in factit's not cracked or broke. That may mean that it was most likely a defectivepart originally. If that is indeed the case it may not happen again. I willknow more when I pick it up and ask to see the flex plate. If it's notavailable then I'll know there blowing smoke. They offered free oil changes fortwo years and I told her to stick it. It wasn't a bad offer in hind site Iguess. However I think they could do better. I will call back tomorrow and seeif it has a limit on the number of oil changes that can be done. If there’s nolimit than I will have it done at half the interval. Two years should get me acouple grand in oil changes.
Picked up the van on Friday. The flex plate was cracked but the dealer is certain it cracked because the bolts came loose. I'm not sold on it yet. According to the repair order almost every bolt was loose on the flex plate and torque converter. Time will tell. They also did 4 flashes on the computer. 2 under warranty 2 not however they covered them all.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How could a flash not be covered under warranty?????

I could see if it was a custom tune or something similar but really??? On a new model van???

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what I asked. He said they are updates that are not required. The things updated under warranty: 1)recall P32. (2)flash PCM in accordance with bulletin D09-12. Not under warranty: 1)flash IPC in accordance with bulletin D09-12 (2)flash HVAC in accordance with bulletin D09-12. Been sitting 5 days so I haven't driven it very far to see if anything has changed. Change oil warning was on when I picked it up. I had just changed the oil so it must have rebooted the computer.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I looked up the codes. The "P32" isn't a flash as he stated its for water intrusion in the battery area. The ipc is "instrument panel controller".