Cargo Van's starting to log?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It might come true? U never no with a new assO POTUS coming into office.
You are absolutely right! One of Trump's original campaign promises was to ban vans from the nation's highways. He has since backed down on a total van ban. But effective April 1, 2017, all vans will be required to log. This bill is part of his comprehensive border security initiative. Hundreds of vans are crossing into this country from Mexico, crammed packed with passengers. These vans are often over weight and the drivers have no CDL, let alone a passenger endorsement. As a result, all vans will be classified by the NHTSA as commercial motor vehicles and subject to CMV regulations.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will never happen!! Its up to the companies if they want there van drivers to log. Those are the companies you do not want to drive a van for. You won't make any money.
Indeed... back in '15 I was just about to sign with a small carrier from OH. Everything seemed good till I was told that I have to keep a log book, 'cause that's the company's rule. I didn't bother to argue with them about that...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of Trump's original campaign promises was to ban vans from the nation's highways. He has since backed down on a total van ban. But effective April 1, 2017, all vans will be required to log. .
Never heard about this "promise", but hey, as long as we talk about April 1st, I'm ok with it... :D

Reactions: brokcanadian

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Or at least the large 16' DWR cutaway vans that can handle many straight-truck loads but don't need a Class B CDL.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or at least the large 16' DWR cutaway vans that can handle many straight-truck loads but don't need a Class B CDL.
Those 16 ft drw trucks are going to have a gvw above 10001 lbs and they will have to log and have a med. card.
You don't need a Med card till 26001 GVWR Class B CDL or carrying placard hazmat. Up to 26001 you only need a Class C DL, yes you'll have to log going interstate or past the local air mile exemption

Reactions: jaxonviking

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Peterbilt tandem axle, 22 foot box...with some under 10,000 home made decals on the door.

Big rates...no rulez....winning.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You don't need a Med card till 26001 GVWR Class B CDL or carrying placard hazmat. Up to 26001 you only need a Class C DL
The FMCSA will strongly disagree with you on that. If you drive a vehicle that is 10,001 pounds or more you need to have a medical card, but you won't also need a CDL until you hit 26,001 pounds, unless you carry hazardous material which requires placards.

Medical
All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a maximum gross vehicle weight rating of over 10,000 pounds (4,536 kilograms) are required to obtain and maintain a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (ME Certificate).

The CDL Classes are:
Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
The carriers I drive for an lease to, require all there o/o van drivers to have a cdl c lic an a medical card. As well as there b an a class lic too. Which is smart.

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Just met a driver in Kentucky who owned a 16' box DRW Chevy. Had a Qualcomm system with e-logging: Push a button when you stop for a break, another when you start driving again. No biggie. Said he was doing really well as his capacity was 7500# and he'd left 12' of box for cargo (4' for bunk). Nice niche to be in, apparently. Gasser with 6.0L engine, but capable of carrying many straight-truck loads. Fuel mileage is the only downside, but at $2 a gallon it's not such a drain on bottom line. If we were back at $4, that might make 10-12 MPG a deal-breaker.

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just met a driver in Kentucky who owned a 16' box DRW Chevy. Had a Qualcomm system with e-logging: Push a button when you stop for a break, another when you start driving again. No biggie. Said he was doing really well as his capacity was 7500# and he'd left 12' of box for cargo (4' for bunk). Nice niche to be in, apparently. Gasser with 6.0L engine, but capable of carrying many straight-truck loads. Fuel mileage is the only downside, but at $2 a gallon it's not such a drain on bottom line. If we were back at $4, that might make 10-12 MPG a deal-breaker.
Yea but is his bunk DOT qualified spec. Remember there are specs for DOT sleepers.

Reactions: ntimevan

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
What qualifies as a "DOT" sleeper? Guy had a 48" area in the box with bulkhead separating it from the cargo area.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just an aside here...i had a 24" sleeper in my Alumnibunk ford E350 and it was dot legal...

(Edit...that was a long time ago and I can't find the literature, possibly I was sold a line because they weren't DOT regulated)

Further edit, from our own forums

If you are over 10,000gvwr your sleeper has to be 75"x24"x24". It has to be separate from the cargo area and easily accessable from the cab area. The sleeper also must have proper ventilation and an emergency exit door. You must also have an inner spring matress or 4" foam mattress along with proper covers and bed sheets. You cannot use the rear seat of a crew cab unless it meets the requirements stated above.

So, at barely 70" mine could not have been legal for logs

Last edited: